Non-rock Grado Appreciation
Dec 20, 2006 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KyPeN

100+ Head-Fier
OK. Let me say this. I love rock. I love metal. It is easily 90% of what I listen to. However, 90% isn't 100% is it? I like all kinds of stuff, and listen to my Grados for just about all of it. So, I thought it would be interesting to hear what other people like to hear out of their Grados that isn't rock/metal/derivation of the other 2.

For instance, once I got them amped, I think well-produced rap sounds great. It isn't meant to have a soundstage, and Grado slam really adds a lot. Madvillain - Madvillain or anything by MF Doom is a great example.

What about you?

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 15
The Majority of my time with Grado cans is with vocal jazz and acoustics... About 20% with classic rock.

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 15
When I bought my first pair of SR225s a couple years ago I bought them because from the information I'd gathered here at head-fi I thought that they'd reproduce bluegrass instrumentation well. Well, short story is, they were exactly what I had hoped for. They're very fast, they have good bass extension, and they add a great sparkle to fiddle and mandolin. To me they're like the grandfather of the KSC-75, which I also enjoy for bluegrass instrumentals.

I also especially enjoy any other acoustic music on the SR225s. Jack Johnson, Amos Lee, Ray LaMontagne, some Ben Harper, O.A.R., among others. Country music also sounds good on the Grados if you're into that.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Country music also sounds good on the Grados if you're into that.

Second that! Country is great, but I dearly love them for jazz and vocals, as well.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 15
I love all kinds of music, and my Alessandro MS2i can sound very well all from classical to metal. I can't say the same for others and "normal" Grados, but the MS2i is a very good allrounder for my tastes.

So, yes, me too listen to classical/jazz/all-non-rock music with a Grado.

Andrew

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love all kinds of music, and my Alessandro MS2i can sound very well all from classical to metal. I can't say the same for others and "normal" Grados, but the MS2i is a very good allrounder for my tastes.

So, yes, me too listen to classical/jazz/all-non-rock music with a Grado.

Andrew

Absolutely agree about the MS2i. Mine do a fine job with everything except the biggest of the big classical pieces.

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely agree about the MS2i. Mine do a fine job with everything except the biggest of the big classical pieces.

Yes, I found that also with me the MS2i sounds still a bit (but only a bit, unlike other Grados) congested in big classical music, but overall with this music they sound "on the monitor sound", so the sound is still good, only not so "audiophile-like relaxed" as with other cans.

With the tubes of the EarmaxPro the sound of the Ms2i show even more potential.

Andrew

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 15
I listen to rock almost 99%, but after my first good cans arrived (SR60) I started to listen stuff like Mouse on Mars (very analogic german kraut-electronic), a band that I always appreciated in live sets. With the Grados I simply love to listen to this kind of stuff with more volume, there are a lot of on-off sounds/saw-teeth sounds that are great to ear in detail, and since is not a tuz-tuz-tuz kind of music there are no problem at all with the aggresive SR60 kind of sound.

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 15
I have AKG K301 and Grado SR-60's. I plan to upgrade to SR-225's soon. On both the SR-60 and SR-225, lo-fi hip hop and just about all forms of techno shine. Especially drum n' bass - the SR-60's can do really low bass amazingly when paired with the right amp (NAD 3155 here, you wouldn't believe the bass presence you can get)!

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 15
What timing!!
I sit here taking a break from Dreamtheater and Iron Maiden.... groovin' to some Spyro Gyra on my RS1. Straight out of my T43p laptop, no amp needed. After listening to JVC marshamallows all day
blink.gif
blink.gif
this is much needed relief.

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 15
How are the grey-doughs with classical music? [size=xx-small](hides smirk)[/size]
No seriously. I have been piqued by the grados, especially the rs2. I didn't get much of a chance to listen them at the nov4 nyc meet, and am itching to try them. Just looking at the little wooden chambers gets me excited. [size=xx-small](in a non-sexual way)[/size]

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 15
The Late String Quartet by Juliard (Beethoven) is amazing on my SR-60s. Open, airy and with so much timing.
Everytime i need to convince myself that there oughta be something good with life, that one comes on my mind.
An other recording that amazes me, is the amercian folk/country master Guy Clarke, the album Workbench Songs is just made for my Grados, warm and mellow, brilliant album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back