Non-overpriced replacement ear pads for the M50x?
Jul 8, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #16 of 17
I have used Shure 840 ear pads on my M50X's for several years.. much more comfortable than the stock pads ..don't change the sound (**much that I can tell). Fairly cheap.

down side is they are a bit larger than the stock M50 ear pads and are prone to getting knocked off easily... not a huge deal as they go back on easily.
Actually shure940 pads do effect the sound, but in a positive way.

Without changing the FR structure of bass, it linearly lowers it, making the bass tighter yet the same in sound and more detailed. Solderdude mod on M40x took the mid bass leaving subbass. I tried shure velour and they do the same thing on m50x and other headphones. Bass sound the same, but more tame and controlled and giving mids some area to shine.

Now get some felt(1.5mm wool) and place in front of driver.

As shure driver dust protector on 940 is thin and m50x had thick felt. It will tame the treble and will make your headphones mid centric and detailed.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 17
Try it with wicked cushion hybrid.

Just once...

I can guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.

It has the m50x damping foam and is even more thicker than hm5. This reduces the bass and treble, plus shifting it even higher due to speaker distance and more roll off, making mids more prominent.

I bought these on Amazon recently, but they're super itchy if you have even a little bit of stubble (first time I've ever felt that from a pad just out of the box), and I didn't like the changes to the sound signature in the context of a musician's studio monitor.

I'll note that they seemed far less uncomfortable while I was just sitting and listening to them without moving around at all, but when I tried using them while playing drums they started driving me crazy within five minutes. Returning them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back