Non-overpriced replacement ear pads for the M50x?
Feb 27, 2016 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

redbean

New Head-Fier
So my 6 months old M50x's ear pads are totally ruined. They are neither durable nor comfortable. I've googled for replacement pads. The ones from the official site(which didn't even last 6 months) costs USD$30, and they are for the M series, which means M20-M50 all use the same pads? Jeez, I can get a M20 for ~$40 nowadays, so you're telling me the pads cost 3/4 of a M20? Third party ones like Dekoni aren't cheap as well

Can anyone recommend a pair of ear pads that would fit the M50x well, is reasonably priced AND lasts at least a year?? 

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 17
The M50 ear pads have an extra layer of acoustic foam over the drivers that keeps them from being ear piercing in the highs. The HM5 (and most other pads) pads do not have this extra layer, and getting them will change the sound detrimentally unless you like ear piercing highs and less bass. 

I guess a solution could be that you could get the HM5 pads and place another layer of acoustic foam under the pads on top of the driver. Perhaps rip or cut out the foam from your old pads.

If you don't want to deal with all that, just get the official pads or ones made specifically for the M50 from companies like Sound Professionals.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=AT-135409020-VELVET 

These are velour and change the sound just slightly, but I prefer the sound of these over the stock pads. I've had mine for over a year, washed them by hand, they are still fine, and will likely last for quite a bit longer.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 17
  The M50 ear pads have an extra layer of acoustic foam over the drivers that keeps them from being ear piercing in the highs. The HM5 (and most other pads) pads do not have this extra layer, and getting them will change the sound detrimentally unless you like ear piercing highs and less bass. 

I guess a solution could be that you could get the HM5 pads and place another layer of acoustic foam under the pads on top of the driver. Perhaps rip or cut out the foam from your old pads.

If you don't want to deal with all that, just get the official pads or ones made specifically for the M50 from companies like Sound Professionals.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=AT-135409020-VELVET 

These are velour and change the sound just slightly, but I prefer the sound of these over the stock pads. I've had mine for over a year, washed them by hand, they are still fine, and will likely last for quite a bit longer.

You mean these that go for $39 on amazon? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2ZM6CS

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 17

The M50x has far too much bass and some of the highs are recessed, so I don't see this issue as detrimental, necessarily. (Plus the sound of a headphone can be tweaked via EQ anyway.)

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 17
There was a massdrop deal just recently for some velour earpads. It has ended but maybe theres another one
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ath-m50x-velour-earpads

@ alchemist:
The m50x still follows the harman target pretty niclely for a closed back just little over 100 bucks entry level can.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 17
  The m50x still follows the harman target pretty niclely for a closed back just little over 100 bucks entry level can.

I use the diffuse-field curve as my neutral reference. Planar magnetic headphones (which have plenty of bass, and perhaps even then too much in some instances relative to the other frequencies) follow that curve in the bass, not the Harman curve, for example. The M50x has a very large amount of bass boost compared to that and even the Harman curve. Fortunately, the bass can simply be reduced with EQ, but I'm just talking about the stock tuning. The bass drowns out the other frequencies and makes the mids sound recessed. Even compared to other entry-level headphones, it's just far too much bass if you want accuracy.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNuneek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You were right. Since my ear pads were already completely destroyed, I cut the foam layer out and tested the M50x with my friend's SRH840 earpads with and without the foam, difference was very noticeable, and I preferred the sound of the pads with the acoustic foam. Might be because I'm already used to the sound of my M50x with this layer of foam, but without the foam it does get a little sibilant. Where can I get a acoustic foam(that blocks out similar amount of sound) from?

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 17
I use the diffuse-field curve as my neutral reference. Planar magnetic headphones (which have plenty of bass, and perhaps even then too much in some instances relative to the other frequencies) follow that curve in the bass, not the Harman curve, for example. The M50x has a very large amount of bass boost compared to that and even the Harman curve. Fortunately, the bass can simply be reduced with EQ, but I'm just talking about the stock tuning. The bass drowns out the other frequencies and makes the mids sound recessed. Even compared to other entry-level headphones, it's just far too much bass if you want accuracy.
Try it with wicked cushion hybrid.

Just once...

I can guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.

It has the m50x damping foam and is even more thicker than hm5. This reduces the bass and treble, plus shifting it even higher due to speaker distance and more roll off, making mids more prominent.

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 17
I have used Shure 840 ear pads on my M50X's for several years.. much more comfortable than the stock pads ..don't change the sound (**much that I can tell). Fairly cheap.

down side is they are a bit larger than the stock M50 ear pads and are prone to getting knocked off easily... not a huge deal as they go back on easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back