Non IE headphones for street use? (Up to $175)
Aug 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jumpka

New Head-Fier
Hi, my first post here 5 months ago asked about in-ear cans like the Westone and E61 for using while walking around town.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2784500

I got the Westone UM1 in March and love it, but I find that it's not ideal for my use outdoors, taking in and out is troublesome (answering my cellphone, talking to people), and takes time, and the buds get dirty.

I'm keeping the Westones for indoor use, but need something that sounds great, doesn't leak noise in/out (I was playing my Sennheiser PX100s at unhealthy high levels just to hear podcasts while walking around town) -- aka, reduces ambient outdoor sounds sufficiently so I don't have to blast my iPod.

I'm willing to pay up to $175 and would prefer something that isn't gigantic -- something I can fold up or is small would be preferable.

I'm open to all non-IE suggestions!

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 13
Maybe if you want small closed and foldable try, I am not saying anything about sound signature (if you like your 100s you might like the following pxc models)

Pxc 150/250/300 all are closed with an active noisecanceling unit and fold up rather easily

I would reccomend hd280 but storage isnt that easy.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Oh, I forgot to mention that when I'm outdoors I'm either listening to spoken voice (podcasts, audiobooks), or rock along the lines of the Dandy Warhols, Aimee Mann, Neil Young, or The Pixies.

But mostly podcasts....

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 13
For the price, what do you think of the differences between

Audio Technica ATH-ANC7
Sennheiser HD 25-1
Sennheiser HD 280

in terms of durability (going in and out of messenger bag), sound isolation (busy streets, subway travel) and comfort?

Any other cans I might want to consider for outdoor use?

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about I throw in a 4th for comparison:

AKG K26P

or K24p/K412p...it's open and portable...
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 13
IMO open and portable don't go well together. If it's noisy around you, you won't be able to hear your music very well and if someone is speaking loudly, it could seriously hurt your ears. I think open headphones that still have some isolation are ideal. They give you a balance of the open sound, isolation and the ability to hear what's happening around you. I have lots of headphones now, but my EX-90s fit the bill perfectly for the above reasons. At home, though, the MS1s are the headphones I reach for.

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 13
Denon AH-D1000, or this year's model, AH-D1001, are what you're looking for. Very lively sound with powerful bass and excellent dynamics, efficient and work great with any source (even a player running on one AA battery). Featherweight (180g.). Or, if there are any at lower prices, AH-D2000 or AH-D2001.

The "thousand" series are all closed, and by the isolation of AH-D501 it seems the "1" revisions improve isolation a lot (voices are very hard to discern with the AH-D501 on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back