Non headfi related: high end car audio amps
Dec 14, 2007 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

munkeeboi83

New Head-Fier
I was going to post this in the non-headfi related section, but I don't think too many people would see it. I don't know if too many of you guys/gals on the forum are into high end car audio, but I just wanted to share with you guys some of the nice gear that are available in the car audio world.

Sweet Class A goodness!
biggrin.gif

HSS Tess HT230
Hssfidelity
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...1/P1010030.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...P1010029-1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...1/P1010028.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...1/P1010027.jpg

Tru Technology
TRU Technology
Another company that makes very nice amplifiers. Class A/B Hybrid Tube
:: TRU Technology ::

Milbert Tube
Milbert Amplifiers Tube Car Audio

Genesis Amplifiers
genesis-ice.com
http://www.genesiscaraudio.net/press/p15_1.jpg

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Nice amplifiers.
I have a couple of nice ones myself.

A Soundstream Class A 10.0, like this one:
outside1.jpg

inside1.jpg

And a Soundstream Class A Picasso (4 x 25W @ 4 ohms, Class A):
outside1.jpg

inside1.jpg

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 7
Those are some nice looking amps! I've thought about putting a little into the car stereo, but I've found it extremely difficult to locate good speakers and amps. Every search seems to turn up gear intended for decibel contests and driving 18" subwoofers. I'm interested in good sound, like the headphone and speaker rigs.

Not to threadjack, but does anyone have suggestions for quality speakers? I've seen some Vifa drivers that look nice, but are there others?

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 7
those pictures of those amps are very unique! i been into car stereos for 20 years and haven't seen anything like them.
You can find speakers and amps that are basic to extreme just counts on what you want to spend and what you want.
a great company i have dealt with for most of them 20 years is a mail order catalog out of virginia where customer service still exists.
www.crutchfied.com free phone tech support...free return shipping if you dont like it. check them out

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Great pics! I remember back in the IASCA circuit in the early 90's there was a guy who modded a home tube amp to wired it into his trunk, it sounded incredible. People were laughing at his tube amp, while everyone else was running thier high-current MOSFETs from Rockford Fosgate, Phoenix Gold, Orion, Alpine, etc.

Last time I check, there are lots of good speakers for cars, it's usually available at custom installers, but JL audio, MB quart, etc are all decent. 90% of the time these brands are only available in custom installers as the installation is far more important than the actual brand of speakers.

Soundstream's been around for probably 20 years. 15 years ago I used to own some Soundstream Continuum amps that look like KR's but in the blue color. I had SpeakerWorks in Orange, CA build out a complete system with their waveguides and aperiodic subwoofer system back in the early 90's.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are some nice looking amps! I've thought about putting a little into the car stereo, but I've found it extremely difficult to locate good speakers and amps. Every search seems to turn up gear intended for decibel contests and driving 18" subwoofers. I'm interested in good sound, like the headphone and speaker rigs.

Not to threadjack, but does anyone have suggestions for quality speakers? I've seen some Vifa drivers that look nice, but are there others?

There are plenty of places online to find information on people who are more focused on SQ than db drags or breaking the SPL world record. You could look into car audio competitions/sound offs from organizations such as IASCA (International Auto Sound Challenge Assoc), MECA or USACi. If you're looking into a good place to find information on putting together a sound system that might come close to a nice sounding seat of hifi speakers/headphones check out:

elitecaraudio.com
diymobileaudio.com
iasca.com

Headunits:
Alpine F1 Status
Clarion DRZ9255
Mcintosh MX5000
Alpine W205/H701 combo
Pioneer P9
Pioneer ODR RS-D7R

Speakers:
DLS (what I'm running in my car)
Seas Lotus
Dynaudio
Morel
Genesis
Focal
Brax/Helix
Phass Audio
Rainbow Audio
Hybrid Audio Technologies
Scanspeak
Micro-Precision
Alto Mobile

good brands for amplifiers:
Tru Technology
Sinfoni
DLS
Arc Audio
Zapco
Helix/Brax
Genesis
Tru Technology
Butler Audio
Phass
Steg

I know I'm missing a lot of brands out there, but this is a good start if you're looking for decent sound quality. Unfortunately much has changed in car audio and with outsourcing and mass production a lot of top quality brands like Rockford Fosgate, MB Quart and others have lost their luster and reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back