Non-fatiguing Headphones
Sep 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #31 of 43
Forgot to mention one of my current headphones: the GermanMaestro GMP250.
They have a smooth treble, good mids and bass, and should be fast enough for trance music

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD800 gets my vote...very involving, least fatiguing.

And only 5 times the OP's budget...
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And here is a conflicting opinion - I had the proline 750's, I have the HFI 780's. I would not call either can "non-fatiguing." Not by a long shot. I like my 780's, but I'm worn thin in a couple of hours.

Was it because of too much treble or bass? or...?

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 43
AKG K271 MkII

- non-fatiguing frequency response (midrange-centric)
- very comfortable
- closed design
- fairly efficient/sensitive, but will scale with an amp later

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #36 of 43
Within your budget, get the Denon AH-D1001K cans and a Corda Headfive/Arietta/Swing amp from Meier Audio. This is without a doubt the least fatiguing setup I have ever heard. I have very sensitive hearing, especially to high frequencies, and this setup is comfortable for me to listen at high volume for hours on end. They are also the most comfortable to my head as well. The Sennheiser HD595 and HD650 on the other hand often give me a headache and cause ear pain. I mainly listen to classic rock, jazz, and some classical if that helps.

Don't be turned off by the Denon's modest price, they reveal just as much as the HD595's albeit with much finer grace and far tighter and silky smooth bass, and, most importantly do not scorch your ears. Neither are the most analytical cans in the world, but excessive detail causes my ears to hurt as well.

Other amps may behave differently, but with my Meier amps, Senns are often a very poor match.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #37 of 43
Beyer DT250/250, I'm surprised to be the first one to mention them. They are the least fatiguing headphones I know of, with a very natural balance. They're very comfortable too if you have normal ears.
I listen to them 8 hours a day, sometimes much more (mostly electronica) and I simply love them. They're like ultra-comfy slippers, they don't stand out but grow on you over time.

I also have HD650 and HD600 and imho HD600 are too bright for long sessions, even more so with trance. If you plan to buy a good amp and listen mostly to uncompressed sources HD650 could be a good bet but otherwise DT250 are the way to go.

Oh and if you dislike too much treble forget about the Ultrasones...

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #38 of 43
3x the Denon AH-D1001. The highs are exceptionally clean and free of grain. They're noticeably smoother than my Sennheiser HD580 or HD280. A very comfortable closed phone, certainly more than the HD280. Price is right around $150-$160. See Amazon.com user reviews for their ratings.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #39 of 43
I just received a pair of AH-D1001k's, mainly because of this thread, and couldn't be happier. I can once again listen to music I haven't been able to tolerate for months due to my tinnitus. My only concern is that they're so non-fatiguing I'll turn the volume up too much. It's gonna take awhile to get used to closed phones though.

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #41 of 43
On one hand the closed design allows me to listen at lower volumes, but reducing ambient noise seems to make my tinnitus more noticeable. The sound is amazing though.

I think I might have to try either the HD600s or 650s just for comparison although I doubt they'll be as comfortable as the D1001s. I am looking forward to hearing the supposed Sennheiser "veil"
tongue.gif

My source is a modest Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, hopefully it is doing more harm than good for these phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back