Non-audiophile and audiophile terms
Jun 2, 2003 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

MaxHeifetz

Head-Fier
Lets compile a list of non-audiophile and audiophile terms

Non -
Great, good, amazing, fun, huge, interesting, "under $100 dollars", ...

Audiophile -
Crisp, clean, deep, recessed, bright, dark, timbre, brilliant, "sorry about your wallet", ...

Jun 2, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 42
Non-audiophile: BOSE

Audiophile: RIPOFF

biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Cap'n Dan
Non-audiophile: BOSE

Audiophile: RIPOFF

biggrin.gif

Hahah, can someone top that? I mean, when I was younger, I always thought Bose was THE name in anything that was supposed to sound great. Luckily, I was too young to buy anything
smily_headphones1.gif

Non-audiophile: $300

Audiophile: Another pair of headphones... pfff, Of course I needed 'em!

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 42
Call me a non-audiophile, but I've always wondered what sibilance was..

Merriam Webster Online defines sibilant as: having, containing, or producing the sound of or a sound resembling that of the s or the sh in sash.

But how does that translate to the headfi world? Any examples of headphones that are pronouncedly sibilant?

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 42
Sibbalant is sometimes used to describe the quality of the phones that makes S's at ends of words come off as sharp, shrill and painful, it's usually assioated with brighness

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
Call me a non-audiophile, but I've always wondered what sibilance was..

Merriam Webster Online defines sibilant as: having, containing, or producing the sound of or a sound resembling that of the s or the sh in sash.

Sibilance is when sssssssss sounds harsh or exaggerated I believe.

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 42
I'm non-audiophile aswell. Especially with English words.
I don't know what 'grainy' is supposed to sound like
redface.gif

Somehow I always thinks of sand in your sandwich at the beach when I read that word.

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 42
I don't have any terms but I do have a narrative that happened the other day... this non-audiophile likes car systems, but believes the more bass, the better the sound....

Non-audiophile: That shoor is a weird looking little mp3 player you got there on your desk.

Audiophile: Its my amp.

Non-audiophile: Like from your car?

Audiophile: No, for these headphones.

Non-audiophile: Huh, like that system would have a hard time powering a pair of headphones .... man you got ripped off!

Audiophile: Oops look at the time, late for a meeting!

Jun 2, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 42
ooohhh i got antoher one~!!!

non= i'm going to save my money for college!!!
audiophile=... i was supposed to be saving money for college and maybe a pc... instead i spent $700 on a portable system... but i will still go to college... i'll just have to lose some weight.

the sad truth is that that is me... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Jun 2, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 42
Non audiophile:
Affordable. Economic. Bang for the buck. Value. Unpretentious. Low markup, musical, portable.

Audiophile:
Expensive, vanity, glossy, heavy, overkill, ego boosting, shiny, pretentious.

Jun 2, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 42
audiophile: ah, so crystal clear and transparent...such detail, this sounds wonderful!
non-audiophile: hey, where's the bass? you should try these sonys my friend has, man.......

biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 42
non-audiophile - Holy crap! These headphones have the most bass I have ever heard! And it's so loud!

audiophile - What?! Who the screw cares about the bass?! Don't you realize how good they sound?

non-audiophile - I do, man. These headphones could blow my eardrums out!

audiophile - Don't you notice the amazing clarity and extension of the treble?

non-audiophile - Treble? What is treble? Is that even a word?

audiophile - Why, you stupid, worthless, piece of sh**! You wanna hear good sound?! Huh?! Do you?! Why don't I take these headphones and jam them through your skull!!! Then you'll see how it sounds!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
non-audiophile - Holy crap! These headphones have the most bass I have ever heard! And it's so loud!

[snip]

audiophile - Why, you stupid, worthless, piece of sh**! You wanna hear good sound?! Huh?! Do you?! Why don't I take these headphones and jam them through your skull!!! Then you'll see how it sounds!
very_evil_smiley.gif

ROFL, MusicLover. Quite entertaining.
biggrin.gif

Although I'm sure this thread should be getting back on topic anytime now...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back