Non-audiophile and audiophile terms
Jun 3, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
non= .wav?? man...ur soo outa date...it'z all about mp3 now
smily_headphones1.gif
, "cd-quality" sound and 1/10 file size

Or:"Use WMA 64kbps. Half the size and I tell you, I cannot hear the difference!"

This actually happened to me:
Non:"Why do you use those over the head PX100s
confused.gif
. These streetsyles won't mess up your hair AND they're cheaper!"

( [size=xx-small]Please anyone, what does grainy mean? This is really starting to bug me. (Not kidding)[/size])

Jun 3, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #32 of 42
you know those clicks and pops in poorly cared for vinyl? to me graininess is like just a very very slight touch of that in sounds that should otherwise be smooth.

Jun 3, 2003 at 7:58 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
Here's how the terms go for each of these 3 stages:

Non-audiophile: "Nice music! I really like it!!"

Audiophile: "The performance is above average, but the mastering was poor--too much dynamic compression--the bass is really muddy and boomy, the midrange has a big suckout, and the treble is really harsh!"

Zen audiophile: "Nice music. I really like it."

I think myself and wallet reached the Zen stage. But i would add '!' back in.
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
you know those clicks and pops in poorly cared for vinyl? to me graininess is like just a very very slight touch of that in sounds that should otherwise be smooth.

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
Actually, you guys are missing the third stage entirely: the rare highest level of attainment, the 'Zen audiophile'. We all start out as non-audiophiles, but then with experience and a discriminating ear, we may graduate to become audiophiles. A rare few among audiophiles (not me) go on to become Zen audiophiles by means of their incredible profundity, capacity to focus and transcend the mundane world.

Here's how the terms go for each of these 3 stages:

Non-audiophile: "Nice music! I really like it!!"

Audiophile: "The performance is above average, but the mastering was poor--too much dynamic compression--the bass is really muddy and boomy, the midrange has a big suckout, and the treble is really harsh!"

Zen audiophile: "Nice music. I really like it."

Hahahaha!

That goes for the movie snobs too....

"It was a great movie!"

"Yea, it was entertaining, but the piss-poor directing and casting really took away from the overall enjoyment of it. I feel that the period the film took place in could have used a bit more refinement to seem real. It didn't speak to me in a way that left me warm inside. Overall I think that the movie won't be up for any awards. The acting barely made up for the directing, but I do believe it the producer is at fault here... we'll see..."

"Uhh yea...."

Jun 3, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Non-Audiophile - Yo, these Sony Streetstyles are teh best headphones ever made!
Audiophile - stabs him in the heart

LOL, KR!
tongue.gif
That seems to be an even better method than mine.

Jun 3, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #37 of 42
i definitely relate to the movie thing twifiop, seen plenty of movies with usc cinema-television people. but then again i'm sure it must be a pain in the ass to see any kind of stage production with me.
tongue.gif
(but like anyone goes to the theatre anymore (in los angeles anyways))

Jun 3, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #38 of 42
Non-audiophile: "BMW"
Audiophile: "POS"

Non-audiophile: "Own"
Audiophile: "Rent"

Non-audiophile: "Bahamas"
Audiophile: "Backyard"

Non-audiophile: "Wife"
Audiophile: "J-pop idol"

Jun 4, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn

the zennist would not have said anything to "what do you think of the music?". if anything he would have been cryptic:

a fart blowing in the wind
who hears it smell bad?

Yes, if he was a Rinzai!

Jun 4, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #40 of 42
non-audiophile:
"Let's put on Global Undergound! "

audiophile:
"Let's put on Jazz at Pawnshop. You really gotta hear this. You can almost smell the smokes in there. but, wait I have to bias my tubes.... Hey, don't touch that turn table! It's been working since last week and I don't want to ruin the good karma. oh, I forgot, I stil have to dial-in the subs, too. Come to think of it, i have to get the analyser and digital EQ room correction preamp. that's next upgrade.. oh. hey, don't step on the cables. You just knocked one of my cable risers. Cut it out!!
Jesus, my cats are better trained than you are."

Jun 4, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #41 of 42
hahahhahahahah... lordy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back