nokia 5800 xpressmusic sound quality
Nov 30, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #110 of 154
ok sorry to be brining this back up but I recently picked up the 5800 as a cellphone, was going to go for an X series but it was sold out at amp3 and I did not want to wait, so I got the 5800.

Apart from having a better cpu and browser and apps, the 5800 sound quality is not that great. My old A818 from sony has a much better sound, better bass and clearer EQ range. Of course the X would be better than my A818, but I am waiting for january for new walkmans at CES.

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #111 of 154
I have a bunch of different iPods, but the main reason they sound better than my 5800 is because they play lossless music easily. I haven't trained my Nokia to do that yet
redface.gif

The Nokia 5800 with it's compressed music is a great match with the Bose Triports that I got from SR-71Panorama though; These may be the best cans out there for compressed music on a cell phone! The synergy between the two seems perfect even though the results could hardly be termed "audiophile". Unfortunately it's definitely not a portable solution as the circumural Triports are quite fragile and don't travel well as they don't fold flat and there is no hard case for them that I can find.

I know all Bose headphones get a bad rap here, but my experience makes me curious about their supra-aural Triports for travel. The Triports don't seem as mass-marketed as their NC headphones or clock radios and whatever, but they could be cheaper.

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #112 of 154
You Know I just recently purchased Nokia 5800. What attracted me was the price/performance chart. And Out of the blue, I tried its music player with my IE8s and to be honest with you the sound was very good, of course not as good as the Sony X series but still left a good taste on me. Especially the songs preloaded on the phone blew me away. It has precoded EQ settings as well, which are much better responsive than Iphone or Ipod. So, I loaded some of my 320kbps songs and gave it another try, and still found the music quality pretty impressive. It also has 3.5mm adapter to support any headphones.

You might check one out, its a symbian phone and with its latest 4.0 update it has full kinetic capability. I'm telling you this phone is really worth much more its price.

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #113 of 154
The camera is pretty good too, has a real flash and I think auto-focus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You Know I just recently purchased Nokia 5800. What attracted me was the price/performance chart. And Out of the blue, I tried its music player with my IE8s and to be honest with you the sound was very good, of course not as good as the Sony X series but still left a good taste on me. Especially the songs preloaded on the phone blew me away. It has precoded EQ settings as well, which are much better responsive than Iphone or Ipod. So, I loaded some of my 320kbps songs and gave it another try, and still found the music quality pretty impressive. It also has 3.5mm adapter to support any headphones.

You might check one out, its a symbian phone and with its latest 4.0 update it has full kinetic capability. I'm telling you this phone is really worth much more its price.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #114 of 154
I considered a 5800. I preferred buttons to a touch screen so I went with the 6303. With some extra memory it can be a great host for 320 kbps WMA's. The 128 kbps WMAs already sound pleasant with my Aurvana Lives.

With a good headset some phones can musically shine.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #115 of 154
5800 comes with free hand-free attachment, which host 4 buttons for music control.

P.S: With firmware v40, music SQ improvement with some tweaking by Nokia. Bass seem to go deeper and more controlled. With kinetic scrolling, browsing 1000+ songs seem more bearable. Only wish the stereo separation was better....

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #118 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascariss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from having a better cpu and browser and apps, the 5800 sound quality is not that great.

Just wondering if you were amplifying the 5800 or not?

Some cell phones & music players seem to sound better without amplification, like the newer iPhones/iPod touches, evidently.

I haven't played music through an amplifier yet with the 5800, but I like how it differentiates the line out from the headphone out, electronically. Not sure why it preserves the volume control for both modes though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back