noise problem with neighbor: i need some serious advice here
Oct 6, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #31 of 45
HI: Sometimes the cops and the law just don't cut it. some people only respect fear. SO I would talk to him in a very nice way and tell him that if I come back It won't be very nice at all in fact it will be complete insanity and if he is drunk that won't matter we will see you on a milk carton. Now try me. Then walk away and if he screws up its on you to do what you have to do.

Oct 6, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #32 of 45
Trying to do my best - problem is, that I got that schematic about fifteen years ago. Now, where have I put it? So this might take a while...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 6, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
fortunately he is gone now, he was hit on his bike by a truck and killed.
i know, i don't plan on doing anything that will get me in trouble. i think i am just going to have to have friendly chat with our upstairs neighbor.

You can always find another truck driver.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, it sounds like you've had some chats that have gotten you nowhere. Don't be too friendly, but do be in control. I personaly like the idea that someone mentioned of cutting the power off when he gets too loud.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #34 of 45
All you can do is use the law and your landlord. Reason does not work on the ignorant. Intimidation will just get you in trouble. If you do things like cut off power or threaten him, you will allow him to sue you, which is not what you want to have out of this. You are a reasonable person, so you probably understand this. Just be persistant with your landlord and the cops. Make his life miserable through them and he will probably either stop or move.
Good luck!
And if you do beat the **** out of him, give him a swift kick in the kidneys for me...I hate nothing more than inconsiderate people.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
give him a swift kick in the kidneys for me...I hate nothing more than inconsiderate people.

Hm.

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #36 of 45
Be a good guy:

(1) Use registered mail to inform both landlord and bad guy.

(2) Call the police and get badge numbers and all related info..

Keep everything short, sweet and simple.

Try steps (1) and (2)
3 times.

When that fails. Call cops, whip out SPL meter and let them note down with you the SPL readings.

Remember to get all their badge numbers. File an official complaint including the letters as proof plus the calling of the cops.

Find out about related authorities concerning this matter. Mail them too
smily_headphones1.gif
. getting other neighbours in the act will bring much favourable action.

Sometimes it's all about good timing. If your'e gonna bring him down, do it in one swift blow.

Violence can help but beware of even the wimps. A lot of people have died by undestimating them.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #38 of 45
i don't want people getting the idea i am a violent man, i am not. i can count the number of fights i've been in on one hand. i wrestled in high school, and that's about it. if he starts something, i'll finish it, but i'm not looking to make the situation worse.

my temper flairs when i hear that "thump thump thump" from above. which makes it hard, because that is the best time to confront him, when the music is up.

in any case, i do have a great deal of self control, but everyone has their limits. after the apt manager talked to him it has been quiet, so i'm content for right now. i also feel better knowing there are other legal avenues for me to pursue just in case.

this thread got much larger than i intended. i guess this is a problem many of us deal with, especially these days when hi-fi stores are pushing stereos with big fat subwoofers, and music with big fat bass (not to mention car stereos). the noise laws need to be amended to take these new issues into account. subwoofers should be banned from apartment buildings like smoking, pets or meth labs. i just don't get how someone could think having a subwoofer in an apartment building would not get them noise complaints.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

this thread got much larger than i intended. i guess this is a problem many of us deal with, especially these days when hi-fi stores are pushing stereos with big fat subwoofers, and music with big fat bass (not to mention car stereos). the noise laws need to be amended to take these new issues into account. subwoofers should be banned from apartment buildings like smoking, pets or meth labs. i just don't get how someone could think having a subwoofer in an apartment building would not get them noise complaints.

Believe me, a lot of us have been or still are in the same situation. It would be better if the federal gov't banned apartment buildings altogether
very_evil_smiley.gif

I hope everything works out for you though and i do agree that subwoofers should be banned from apartments, what the hell are ya gonna do with 'em? I use my headphones for everyday listen, the last time i used the stereo speakers for over 30 mins was like 6 months ago.

Oct 7, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #40 of 45
A somewhat related irony -- I've been looking at apartments lately. Many of them have provisions in the lease concerning inconspicuous 18" DSS dishes, but nothing at all about subwoofers. Do we live in a visually biased society?

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
A somewhat related irony -- I've been looking at apartments lately. Many of them have provisions in the lease concerning inconspicuous 18" DSS dishes, but nothing at all about subwoofers. Do we live in a visually biased society?

unless their sat dish was blocking my view of puget sound, who cares? i know having one's peace and quiet disturbed is a much bigger deal (to me anyway) than what the building looks like. i don't know if it is a visual bias, perhaps this trend towards overblown bass in music and equipment is still so new it hasn't sunk in yet. or maybe people have their priorities ass-backwards.

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236

That's one of the dumbest provisions for large apartments (usually condo's/co-ops). The freaking 18" dish is on the roof, how is it unsightly? Yeah, like its going to lower the value of the apartments
rolleyes.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #44 of 45
The guy may not realize how loud it is for you. Why don't you politely invite him, with a note or in person, to come down and knock on your door the next time he's playing the music so he can hear. You could do the same for the building manager if he's being unresponsive.

I was in the reverse situation, the one being complained about (my friend's place, I just hung out there alot). I didn't think we were being unreasonably loud at all. Turns out, the volume in the apartment below was almost the same as the volume upstairs, like the floor/ceiling was made out of Grado foam or something. Very moderate levels truly were annoying downstairs, which we wouldn't have guessed.

Oct 8, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

the noise laws need to be amended to take these new issues into account. subwoofers should be banned from apartment buildings like smoking, pets or meth labs. i just don't get how someone could think having a subwoofer in an apartment building would not get them noise complaints.

Oh, I don't know how that would work out... like for example in Hong Kong, well, if you have a place to live at all, you live in an apartment.
biggrin.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif
So would you ban everybody from using subwoofers?
evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back