Noise Isolation Replacement for Bose
Dec 24, 2007 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ipodiot

New Head-Fier
Hello, all, I'm new.

However, I've been on the internet since it began, and was a Sysop before all were on it (Mind Matters BBS), and so I am a little experienced.

I need to find an upgrade for my Bose headphones. These are the triport, cost around $140 (not noise reduction), and seem decent as far as overall sound quality. More importantly, they keep out external sound very well because of their tight fit.

I ride the subways in NYC every day, and also have an HD600, which I've proven is virtually worthless compared to the Bose headphones, because the subway is so loud.
frown.gif

I read that the Denon 2000 are recommended, both for sound quality and keeping out noise. But I've seen conflicting reviews. Some say it keeps out external sound very well, and some say it does not. Which is it?
confused.gif

Can someone who has (or had) both compare them from this perspective? Also, since my priorities are as follows:

1) No external noise
2) Overall sound quality
3) Inexpensiveness

are there any other possibilities that match those priorities, around the cost of the Denon 2000 or even more expensive?

Thanks.

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 11
If you looks around the forum, you will find many are recommending Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 for active noise canceling 'phone. May be you should also consider this as well?

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the thought, but I can't do active noise cancellation.

You know how some people are allergic to certain gloves, and you always thought that it was some kind of a joke? Well, for me, I tried a headphone with active noise cancellation about 5-6 years ago and it made me physically sick! I experienced intense nausea.

Interestingly, even *thinking* about that experience gives me a little nausea.

So I will never try those again.

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Have you considered IEMs? Something like the Shure SE210 or Etymotic ER6i might work well for you.

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 11
If you are looking for noise cancellation i would highly recommend the shure se530's with the black foam tips. If the shure is a bit beyond your budget you can always get the westone 3's and purchase the shure black foam tips for them.

I commute to NY everyday and having the volume on my ipod at 10% i am completely drowned in high quality music, with no external noise. The black foam tips are by far the most comfy tips i have ever tried. After listening to the shure's for only 5 hours and trying to triports back on, i immediately notice that i would have to blast the volume on the bose to get the same detail i wanted. And this only would result in more muddy bass.

You can pickup a pair of shures for about 300 on these forums, but if you want brand new you could get the westone 3's and call it a day. Just a warning if you do get the shures, be prepared to re-rip your collection lossless, because you can tell the difference. With the bose coloring the music and the over done muddy bass it hides any shortcommings.

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll suggest that reripping in lossless will not be required for subway riding with any headphone.

I'll go even further and suggest that reripping in lossless probably won't be required for any reason other than archival. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people out there who claim they can tell the difference between FLAC and 192 kbps LAME mp3 and up are simply experiencing placebo effects.

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll go even further and suggest that reripping in lossless probably won't be required for any reason other than archival. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people out there who claim they can tell the difference between FLAC and 192 kbps LAME mp3 and up are simply experiencing placebo effects.

I've heard differences between .WAV and lossless, I still enjoy 24kbps AAC though.

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered IEMs? Something like the Shure SE210 or Etymotic ER6i might work well for you.

Yeah, you should consider IEMs. I usually study in the open-air section of a local coffee shop and it's right beside a major highway (sound barriers aren't used where I live). I used to use my Shure E2c's and I can study my spanish or economics or whatever. I've upgraded to the Shure SCL4's and it's also very effective. I got my SCL4's for 180USD over at Amazon. Also think about getting foamies (yellow or black) or else get used to wearing the three-flanged pieces (I hate the olive earpieces).
biggrin.gif

Shure however has this cable disintegration issue and it scares me. Do look it up here on HF before you get them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back