Noise isolating IEMs for $100+/-25 in Shanghai, China
Jul 15, 2009 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RallyMaster

100+ Head-Fier
I figured that since I'm going to be paid in a week or so for my two month IT internship in China, I might as well buy something here before I head back to the States. However, I've found that neither the HA-RX700 nor the HA-FX33 Marshmallows that I brought over here isolated enough noise on the airplane ride (which is a good 13-15 hours). That noise gave me a splitting headache and resulted in me feeling like crap the whole way through.

My musical tastes are pretty wide so I would like a well-rounded IEM that will play everything from vocal trance and Euro dance to Tchaikovsky, the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson and maybe a little bit of country. I'm not what you would call a basshead but I'd like to have a decent amount in there. Details are important and I would really like for my music to come out clear and not muffled/jumbled together like on the FX33. Essentially, I want my HD595 with more bass, in IEM form with excellent noise isolation (which might be a bit much to ask but I'm willing to forgo the wide soundstage as long as instrument separation is good).

I've looked around on taobao.com for the widely recommended Head-Direct RE0 but seemed to find no signs of it. The Victor HP-FX500 come out to be around $118, so that's one of the possibles at the moment.

These IEMs will be driven by a Sansa Fuze. I might be able to source a Fiio E5 from taobao.com for portable uses but it would be better to not obtain something that requires an amp. I'd appreciate any suggestions you folks might have. I'll head to the audiophile store again today and post a list of IEMs that I have available locally without having to order online (but I'll still look online if I can't what y'all suggested).

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 21
Soundec in China had the UM1's for 610RMB when I was there, as well as a whole slew of other IEM's you could check out. They let me audition them and were fairly good about it, but if you want to use foam tips you better bring your own--they only have ety triple-flanges.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 21
For RE0's, just email Fang (head.direct@gmail.com) directly. After you paypal him, he will send them to you. I think shipping in China is free, too.

Another place to check out is AnRun (°²Èó¶ú»úÉϺ£Æì½¢µê-¼ÒÓõçÆ÷/hifiÒôÏì/¶ú»ú - ÌÔ±¦Íø)

They are authorised dealers for Shures, Westones (the only one for Westone in China, which I found out by checking Westone's website) and a few other companies. They're in Pudong. The UM3x and W3 goes for 2100RMB, which may be a bit out of your budget but it's cheaper than the US so food for thought.

Other than reputable companies, I would think twice about buying from taobao.. lots of fakes everywhere in China!!

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixteh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundec in China had the UM1's for 610RMB when I was there, as well as a whole slew of other IEM's you could check out. They let me audition them and were fairly good about it, but if you want to use foam tips you better bring your own--they only have ety triple-flanges.

Aha. Found the Soundec storefront on taobao.com. Their store is near People's Square so I'll definitely drop by once I get done with my internship in a week and a half. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For RE0's, just email Fang (head.direct@gmail.com) directly. After you paypal him, he will send them to you. I think shipping in China is free, too.

Another place to check out is AnRun (°²Èó¶ú»úÉϺ£Æì½¢µê-¼ÒÓõçÆ÷/hifiÒôÏì/¶ú»ú - ÌÔ±¦Íø)

They are authorised dealers for Shures, Westones (the only one for Westone in China, which I found out by checking Westone's website) and a few other companies. They're in Pudong. The UM3x and W3 goes for 2100RMB, which may be a bit out of your budget but it's cheaper than the US so food for thought.

Other than reputable companies, I would think twice about buying from taobao.. lots of fakes everywhere in China!!

Huh, I didn't know Head-Direct was actually based out of China. In any case, I'll definitely take that into deep consideration.

And speaking of that store in Pudong, that was the EXACT store I visited today after I got off work. Inside, I found the following items of interest after listening to the ATH-AD700 and the Denon AH-D2000:
Denon AH-C551 for 820 RMB
Denon AH-C751, price not marked and did not inquire because it leaks too much noise
Sony MDR-EX700SL and EX500, but did not write down prices
Audio Technica ATH-CK9 for 1100RMB
Audio Technica ATH-CK10 for 1880RMB
Altec Lansing iM616 with Etymotic tri-flange for 1000RMB

Anyone have any thoughts on those so far?

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 21
Jul 15, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 21
you will also be pleased to know that Head-Direct's facility is not only based in China, but more accurately, Shanghai, China.

You could probably take public transport down and buy some goodies.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 21
I emailed fang about a retail location a week or so ago and was told there was no retail location for head-direct in Shanghai.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 21
When you search on Westone for dealers in China, you get this single dealer:

Beijing Anrun East Tech Co Ltd

Room B902, Wuhua Bldg.
4 Chegongzhuang Street
Beijing 10004
CN

Phone: +86 10 68002060
Fax: +86 10 68001896

¶ú»ú¡¤Öйú£*°²Èó¹«Ë¾´úÀí¸÷ÖÖÊÀ½çÃûÅƶú»ú

Notice "Anrun"- that's their Beijing HQ. Their Shanghai shop has no website on its own, all they have is a taobao site. It's the same company, though. When I bought my UM3x's they were out of stock, so they shipped it over direct from Beijing to my office in one business day. The warranty also reads "Beijing Anrun".

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixteh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed fang about a retail location a week or so ago and was told there was no retail location for head-direct in Shanghai.

Apologies. i stand corrected.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #15 of 21
Even if he is based in Shanghai, he's probably up to his neck with product development and online sales/ servicing, what with the new RE3's and Hifiman due to release soon. He may not have time to entertain you if you come by (which would have been the point of a retail location..)

Anyway he's really quick to respond to emails (always <1 day for me, sometimes <5 mins!). So no harm talking to him directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back