Noise from my Corda Move while walking around
Oct 24, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 24
Yes.

My Headsix should arrive today or tomorrow, so I'll post an update on how it works.

I bought a new cable today for my Move, and it seems to work a bit better. I'll try it on my way home from work in a minute, and see if there is any improvement.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 24
Sounds great. If you have time let's also compare notes on battery performance for the Headsix (if you want, also the Move, but I don't own one). I'm going to go through a few more discharge-charge cycles on my rechargeables before making some judgments about expected battery life.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #18 of 24
No big improvement with a different cable on the move.

Again, not really a problem, as I will be using the amp at work only, but I hope the same thing is not an issue with my Headsix when I get it.

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 24
I found a solution for the noise. Not the best solution probably, but i works.

With one rubber band placed around both jacks, the connection gets good enough. I am not sure if this, over time, will put too much pressure on the connections in the amp though.

(Just a question on the side, what are the right words to describe those components, the termination of mini-jack cables, and the jack-connetion holes in the amp?)

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 24
Good news so far, I've tested my Corda Headsix with a longer mini-to-mini cable that came with some other audio equipment and the noise/right-channel dropping problem has seemed to completely disappear.

I have two hypotheses for the cause of the problem:

(1) The original mini-to-mini cable is defective. This is highly unlikely but possible.

(2) The short mini-to-mini cable has more tension on it than the long one (which has a lot of slack and virtually no tension in it). The shorter cable exerts different forces on the input jack depending on the positioning of the source, the orientation of the cable, and how much tension the cable currently has. The connection on the input jack is slightly loose or fidgety and that's why the problem appears intermittently.

Of course other causes are possible, this is just my guess.

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news so far, I've tested my Corda Headsix with a longer mini-to-mini cable that came with some other audio equipment and the noise/right-channel dropping problem has seemed to completely disappear.

I have two hypotheses for the cause of the problem:

(1) The original mini-to-mini cable is defective. This is highly unlikely but possible.

(2) The short mini-to-mini cable has more tension on it than the long one (which has a lot of slack and virtually no tension in it). The shorter cable exerts different forces on the input jack depending on the positioning of the source, the orientation of the cable, and how much tension the cable currently has. The connection on the input jack is slightly loose or fidgety and that's why the problem appears intermittently.

Of course other causes are possible, this is just my guess.

I received the amp to day, and what a great little amp it is!

No problems at all with the original cable... there was a note in the box that mentioned that it was important with a bit of pressure on the battery for the jacks to work correctly... could this cause your problem with the Headsix? Could there be differences in the size of standard 9V batteries?

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received the amp to day, and what a great little amp it is!

No problems at all with the original cable... there was a note in the box that mentioned that it was important with a bit of pressure on the battery for the jacks to work correctly... could this cause your problem with the Headsix? Could there be differences in the size of standard 9V batteries?

I missed this note but this is entirely possible. I can't really say one way or another.

Great to hear that you are enjoying your Corda Headsix. Seems like a lot of amp for such a small package, and also a lot of amp for the money. Do you have any impressions on how it differs from the Move? I understand that the Headsix lacks the Move's Crossfeed circuitry and the DAC, but other than that are they different sounding?

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #23 of 24
I feel that the Move is slightly better, more "open" sounding... but I have not had the time to compare the same recordings, so this observation might just come down to the quality of the cd's.

Edit: This is with the Denon D5000, with the HD25, that will be the main phones for the Headsix, the amps seem far more similar.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #24 of 24
My issues with the Move after 700+ hours use:

- After two weeks the foam on the battery compartment lid could no longer maintain sufficient pressure on the battery. Since then I've used the all-metal backplate but this requires an Allen key for every battery change. Doesn't bother me too much now as it's mainly used as a desktop amp.

- When walking around with 650s I sometimes get a dodgy connection which is fixed by wiggling the headphone plug. It appears that the self-sprung connector has relaxed and no longer provides a tight fit.

- The volume pot seems to be worn - it skews the balance at certain volumes, so one channel is louder than the other.

Still sounds good though, at the right volume
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back