Noise from my Corda Move while walking around
Oct 16, 2007 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sinsen

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

When I am walking around with my Corda Move a lot of static noise is generated from the headphone input jack, and sometimes the right channel falls out. If I push the cable a bit, the sound is fine for a while, then the noise returns.

This is much worse when using a short cable than a long one.

Jan Meier was very helpful, and offered to replace the amp, but I would like to see if I could fix this myself first.

One of his suggestions was that this may be caused by differences in jack-sizes. But, I have switched between three different cables, and the problem is still there.

Do any of you have any suggestions to how I can fix this?

Thank you.

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 24
Did you tried to contact Jan directly by e-mail first ?

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 24
I had a similar issue with a mini2mini supplied with the amp and another cable using the same jack. When I terminated my LOD with a Switchcraft jack the problem was gone.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you tried to contact Jan directly by e-mail first ?

Yes, and he was very helpful, offered to replace it, or the jacks, but I wanted to try to see if I could fix it myself before sending it back.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tygger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a similar issue with a mini2mini supplied with the amp and another cable using the same jack. When I terminated my LOD with a Switchcraft jack the problem was gone.

Thank you, are these products easily available? (Sadly I have no idea what a LOD and a Switchcraft jack is).

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 24
Just send it to Jan
blink.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 24
Yeah, from your comments I would assume you won't be too excited about opening up your amp, ordering a new component, and do some precise soldering. Just send it to Jan, it'll be less trouble anyways.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 24
I was talking about soldering a new jack (Switchcraft is a brand) to my DIY lineout cable. It has solved the problem. Now I'm using a Qables dock which is also terminated with a Switchcraft jack.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tygger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was talking about soldering a new jack (Switchcraft is a brand) to my DIY lineout cable. It has solved the problem. Now I'm using a Qables dock which is also terminated with a Switchcraft jack.

Yes, I understood that now, but I think it's over my practical abilities to solder anything to anything.

Anyway, I just sent a mail to Jan, and got a reply that I should send in the amp for repair, so I am still a happy customer.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 24
So... the last part of the story is.

I didn't bother to send it in, I am using the amp as my office amp with the USB input.

...and, I ordered a Headsix for portable use instead.

...why did noone say "sorry about your wallet" when i first joined?

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... the last part of the story is.

I didn't bother to send it in, I am using the amp as my office amp with the USB input.

...and, I ordered a Headsix for portable use instead.

...why did noone say "sorry about your wallet" when i first joined?

I have experienced some similar issues with my Corda Headsix, where there is either static or one channel dropping out. However, since I use it as a transportable setup and not a portable setup, I have not found it to be a problem for me. The noise I experience occurs when I am plugging in the cables and moving the Headsix around. But once I sit it down and adjust the volume, there is no more problem.

I'll try to use it with my iPod Nano on the move in the next couple days to see if it makes noise or loses a channel.

Oh, and sorry about your wallet.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
update: my noise seems to be coming from the stock mini to mini interconnect that shipped with the Headsix. It could be that this cable is defective, but to be sure I need to test with other cables at home. Will update again.

That was what I first thought, and for a while it seemed better with another cable, but after testing it more properly I think it worked better with the other cable just because it was longer, and the tension was less on the jack.

Quote:

I have experienced some similar issues with my Corda Headsix, where there is either static or one channel dropping out. However, since I use it as a transportable setup and not a portable setup, I have not found it to be a problem for me. The noise I experience occurs when I am plugging in the cables and moving the Headsix around. But once I sit it down and adjust the volume, there is no more problem.

Those are exactly the same symptoms as I am experiencing with the Move... oh well, guess I have to hope it's not as bad with the Headsix.

Quote:

Oh, and sorry about your wallet.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was what I first thought, and for a while it seemed better with another cable, but after testing it more properly I think it worked better with the other cable just because it was longer, and the tension was less on the jack.

Well that is a very helpful observation. I think the symptoms of my amp are more or less identical to yours at the moment, but I will do some further testing. I have noticed that if I press the cable into the jack a little bit, there is sometimes the noted crackle or dropping out of the right channel. It's funny that it's exactly the same problem, with the same channel dropping out.

If I was using the Headsix for portable use, I think I would definitely send it back to Jan Meier to have him look at it, as it seems like a pretty easy problem to diagnose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back