Noise floor w/ tubes (x-can v2)
Nov 16, 2003 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

herbie

New Head-Fier
Hi.

Shortly, there started to be some noise on my x-can v2's (HD600) output. It's not always there, but most of the times and sometimes seems to alternate beetween channels (left/right).

Since it disappeared with replacement tubes (which I don't like too much thus won't use them), I think it is caused by burnt out/defective tubes.

Unfortunately, the noise started shortly after I replaced the power supply with a custom 60W/4,8A one. So I hope the problem is not a direct cause of the replacement, or even some hardware damage.

Is a pretty low noise typical for tubes to be replaced? The amp is only one year old, plugged in/out every few days.

Another thing is that the included tubes are "no names": just labeled with the type in white color. From what I know all x-can v2's are delivered with JAN Philips ECC88, which show on the web as greenish labeled with type and brand.

Herbie

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by herbie
Hi.

Shortly, there started to be some noise on my x-can v2's (HD600) output. It's not always there, but most of the times and sometimes seems to alternate beetween channels (left/right).

Since it disappeared with replacement tubes (which I don't like too much thus won't use them), I think it is caused by burnt out/defective tubes.

Unfortunately, the noise started shortly after I replaced the power supply with a custom 60W/4,8A one. So I hope the problem is not a direct cause of the replacement, or even some hardware damage.

Is a pretty low noise typical for tubes to be replaced? The amp is only one year old, plugged in/out every few days.

Another thing is that the included tubes are "no names": just labeled with the type in white color. From what I know all x-can v2's are delivered with JAN Philips ECC88, which show on the web as greenish labeled with type and brand.

Herbie

Herbie,

I just posted a reply to someone in the "Amplification" Forum about the Hissing problems in the X-Can v2. You should check it out.

But, anyway; In my opinion; I would NOT use any other power supply(Transformer) other than the original rating of 12VAC and 500ma.

I've tried higher amperage transformers like you did and as many others have. I feel that's what causes the tubes to go bad or "hiss" after a short period of time.

Reason being; this has happened to me twice. In the beginning,with the 12VAC 500ma wall wart, I never had a problem until I started trying higher amperage wall warts.

Then, finally, I replaced the tubes again and ONLY used the 12VAC 500ma supply and have not had a problem ever since.

Most of all; it sounds great!! I don't see any reason to use any other transformer than the original rating.

Also; you mentioned the "no name" original tubes. Same thing with mine; they were 6DJ8's (no name).

I just recently replaced mine with 2 Electro-Harmonix 6922's and all I can say is, so far so good, or Great
600smile.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your reply, Magic77.

Since I obviously need a replacement, and could easily get Electro-Harmonix, how do the EH perform compared to the stock tubes? Could you give a hint about their character?

As mentioned above, I got replacement tubes (Sovtek 6922). They are more detailed, but sound "colder" and pretty bright. Indeed too bright and present in the heights which I feel uncomfortable, since sound there is not too good.

I'd prefer sound on the warm and somewhat "full" side like the stock tubes.

Herbie

Nov 16, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by herbie
Thanks for your reply, Magic77.

Since I obviously need a replacement, and could easily get Electro-Harmonix, how do the EH perform compared to the stock tubes? Could you give a hint about their character?

As mentioned above, I got replacement tubes (Sovtek 6922). They are more detailed, but sound "colder" and pretty bright. Indeed too bright and present in the heights which I feel uncomfortable, since sound there is not too good.

I'd prefer sound on the warm and somewhat "full" side like the stock tubes.

Herbie

I beleive the EH Tubes are actually made by Sovtek for EH. The EH 6922's have "Made in Russia" printed on them.

I think the EH tubes sound cleaner and also seem to have more Gain than the 6DJ8's. They do seem to have that "fuller" sound as you mentioned. To me, the EH are more detailed sounding.

Before the EH's, I had the JJ/ Tesla E88CC's; which I thought were very good, until I started getting the Hiss again.

I bought the EH's from www.thetubestore.com They suggested the EH6922's, so I gave them a try; and so far everything is working very well.

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Magic,

From what you recall, how do the 6922 EHs sound in comparison to the JJs? I've just finished off the second pair of JJs in my X-can and I was less than impressed by the last pair--noisy and not very dynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back