noise / cracking noise on high notes...
Apr 28, 2005 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xing3ds

100+ Head-Fier
Hi fellow headfiers,

the question that i'm asking is probably a noob question, but i'm still gonna ask it.

On several songs (dvd-music and FLAC), which the singer is a female, I heard this cracking noise on both channels when the singer is on her high-notes... .. for example, comparing the high 'do' note and the low 'do' note, when high 'do' note is being song, I heard the cracking sound. *this is just merely an example.. not the real 'do' notes on the song*

I'm just wondering if there is something wrong with cans? or it because of something that out of my knowledge? something called roll-off high frequency?

the volume level when I heard this cracking noise is a bit louder than normal listening.

thanks

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
computer lag ^^

I'm sure its not that
icon10.gif

I have a pretty good computer specs. well, at least it wont make lags..

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Hi xing3ds,

I have encountered similar problem in the past.

There's a track on one album tend to distort when the bass and high octave female vocal kicks in at the same time of the bridge. I tried several setup/headphone/amp/cdp/encoding, it still don't improve. A guy at the hi-fi store told me, in NZ we are 'blessed' with some bad recording... I'm not sure if it's the same case for Australians...

But might just be the recording you were listening to. So what track/album/artist is it?

Just my two cents,
Overlunge

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi xing3ds,

I have encountered similar problem in the past.

There's a track on one album tend to distort when the bass and high octave female vocal kicks in at the same time of the bridge. I tried several setup/headphone/amp/cdp/encoding, it still don't improve. A guy at the hi-fi store told me, in NZ we are 'blessed' with some bad recording... I'm not sure if it's the same case for Australians...

But might just be the recording you were listening to. So what track/album/artist is it?

Just my two cents,
Overlunge

thanks for the reply, Overlunge.

If have heard some bad recordings, but I think the recording that I'm hearing is not some kind of bad recording or faulty or what so ever... but again, it might be... as what you say..

the 1st recording is A DVD: Norah Jones And The Handsome Band - Live 2004.
I couldn't remember which track (*I will post-up later*) cause the cracking noise.

the 2nd recording is A FLAC rip with EAC from the Album CD: Artist->Jolin Tsai (Taiwan Female Singer *CD is bought in Indonesia). There is one particular track also cause that cracking noise, where as the other tracks sounds fine.

Anyone have ever come accross this noise? perhaps with other recording?

Apr 28, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox
it might be clipping... not sure though

clipping? noob here, what is clipping?

Apr 28, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 18
the peaks of the sound waves being "clipped" or cut off due to either an amp's lack of power, higher volume than headphones can handle, as a result of an equaliser (i.e. the gain set too high).

What player do you use ont he computer to play these files? First thing to try is disable any effects or processing (i.e. equalisers), then turn the volume down, slowly going up and determine whther it is a volume-related issue.

If it doesnt happen at lower volumes, then obviously it is not an issue with the recording of the music. If it happens at EXTREME volumes then it could be the limit of your heaphones, or the limit of your AMP. Integrated Headphone AMPs in computers are notoriously bad in quality, thus it could be causing this distortion.

What sound card and headphones are you using?

Apr 28, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 18
At least Norah Jones stuff has the reputation of being heavily compressed and clipped...

Apr 28, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
At least Norah Jones stuff has the reputation of being heavily compressed and clipped...

Seconded.

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 18
Third on the Norah Jones. Sorely disappointed as I bought her SACD of Come Away With Me and finally put it through its paces last night with my Beyer DT 880s. Boy she clips a lot on her recording. Very disappointed after listening to other SACD efforts from Aimee Mann, John Mayer (overcompressed but at least doesn't clip) and DVD-A efforts from Queen and REM. Those are very clean, very good recordings, and Come Away With Me, quite frankly, isn't.

Apr 29, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_
the peaks of the sound waves being "clipped" or cut off due to either an amp's lack of power, higher volume than headphones can handle, as a result of an equaliser (i.e. the gain set too high).

What player do you use ont he computer to play these files? First thing to try is disable any effects or processing (i.e. equalisers), then turn the volume down, slowly going up and determine whther it is a volume-related issue.

If it doesnt happen at lower volumes, then obviously it is not an issue with the recording of the music. If it happens at EXTREME volumes then it could be the limit of your heaphones, or the limit of your AMP. Integrated Headphone AMPs in computers are notoriously bad in quality, thus it could be causing this distortion.

What sound card and headphones are you using?

play FLAC using Foobar2k -> AUdigy 2 zs Line out -> HD555

No equalisers, only that I increase the bass by 10%

I've been playing around with the sound volume last night with the Taiwan singer song (mention previously) and the cracking noise is heard on both low and high volumes.

about Norah Jones DVD, I havent got the time to find which track cause the cracking noise....

Apr 29, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass

heavily compressed? even on a DVD??

clipped? how is a recording being clipped? and categories as being heavily compressed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back