Noise cancelling headphones
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Henris

New Head-Fier
Hello. Yes. I know there's been a ton of those topics already. I've read some of them, but nothing matched my requirements. So there it goes.
My old headphones are about to die off and I'll need new, not-too-expensive (price cap - $70, willingly that it would cost less in my country) headphones. And this year I'll have to live with some people in one room, so my main request is noise cancelling function.
Secondly, I'd prefer over-ear construction as on-ear are highly uncomfortable. For in-ear I would pay third of my price cap (as of worst case scenario).
Good thing would be wireless/detachable cable. If that's not possible, strong cable would be nice. I always have to buy new headphones because of wires breaking.
Strong construction, material would be good too.
Not an audiophile, so sound doesn't matter for me THAT much. I won't mind if there is, of course. :D
Microphone not necessary.

Do you have any recommendations based on your personal experience? I've read a lot of reviews on Amazon, but most of them are fake, so.. Also, I live in Europe, so getting some products cost a lot because of shipping costs.

Personally, I looked mostly at Razer Kraken USB headphones (~$50) but many people say that those are not worth the money, so give me cheaper and better :D
Looked at Koss QZ99, but in my country they're sold too expensively.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 8
I haven't heard the "normal" Razer Kraken, but tried the Kraken Forged Edition when they first came out, and honestly they are not bad at all (Razer is kind of an odd duck company - there are a few products they've done over the years that demonstrate they're actually quite capable of doing hi-fi, but more often they do stuff that is decidedly not hi-fi, and as a result they have kind of a weird reputation around here, plus there's a general dislike of all things "gaming" in many audio circles). I don't know how the "normal" edition compares, but the FE were a fairly warm, bassy, if somewhat dark headphone that were fairly comfortable and had a fantastic accessory package and build. Probably a bit outside your budget though (although I think the price has come down significantly since launch).

You mentioned the Koss QZ99 being too expensive - what about other Koss models, like the R/80, DJ/100, or PRO4/AA?

If not Koss, what about some other standards in the world of closed headphones, like: Sony MDR-V6, Sennheiser HD 280Pro, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Or, and I know they're a bit "controversial" in some audiophile circles, the Bose Around-Ear headphones? (I think they're called "SoundTrue" in their current incarnation).

I've heard (and in many cases owned) every headphone here, so feel free to ask more detailed questions and I'll do my best to answer (in some cases its been a few years though, so I'll freely admit its "going from memory") - the big range is because I have no idea what prices or availability are like in your corner of the world, so I'm trying to throw out a ton of options and see what you can actually find.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 8
The biggest problem of most of the mentioned headphones are that these are mainly sold in US and shipping costs just as much (sometimes even more) as the products. I live in a small and rather poor European country so products are either going from China (where I can get some free shipping), some other European country (so no US-only brands) or some very big brands, because those are in local stores. That's why I'm thinking about Razer, because it's the cheapest option (to my knowledge) in my country and with cheap shipping category.
Sounds like this might be exactly what you're looking for: Takstar Pro 82
There are also these rebranded iSK MDH9000 that have been reviewed favorably.
These Monoprice headphones have been well-received.
All of the 3 looked great for the price, but Takstar is a bit out of the ideal price zone, MDH9000 looks good, going to check it out later and Monoprice shipping costs more than the headphones itself.
You mentioned the Koss QZ99 being too expensive - what about other Koss models, like the R/80, DJ/100, or PRO4/AA?
If not Koss, what about some other standards in the world of closed headphones, like: Sony MDR-V6, Sennheiser HD 280Pro, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Or, and I know they're a bit "controversial" in some audiophile circles, the Bose Around-Ear headphones? (I think they're called "SoundTrue" in their current incarnation).
Koss is too US-only brand, other mentioned headphones are too expensive for me, sadly.
And again. Noise cancellation is the main feature I'm looking at. So I if You used Razer Kraken headphones, I would love to hear how it cancels the outside noise (sound quality is less important). How well could I hear people talking in the same room and what about noisy neighbors?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Maybe also check out an ATH-M30x and see what you think. It has high sound quality for its price-point and is quite comfortable. Very good isolation. Worth a look-see if you can find it in your country.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 8
The FE were decent at isolation - no better or worse than I'd expect from a typical closed (non-woodie) headphone. No idea how that lines up with the non-FE though - I'm assuming they are fairly different headphones.

As far as Koss - I know TEAC distributes them in some parts of the world, perhaps that's an avenue?

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Maybe also check out an ATH-M30x and see what you think. It has high sound quality for its price-point and is quite comfortable. Very good isolation. Worth a look-see if you can find it in your country.
Yeah. Those cost twice the price in my country.

As far as Koss - I know TEAC distributes them in some parts of the world, perhaps that's an avenue?
Yeah. Koss not happening.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry for double post (thread died into wherever pages anyway).
Right now I'm standing between ATH-M20x (, ATH-AVC500 (not popular around anywhere, but I found them at rather cheap price, compared to everywhere else) and Symphonized NRG 3.0 (earbuds). NRG 3.0 isolation is very well reviewed at rtings.com, maybe someone else has tried them?
Also interested in Seelseries Siberia 100, 150.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back