noise cancelling headphone at work
Aug 3, 2005 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hoader

New Head-Fier
Hi there:
I'm new to this forum and my questions may be odd compaired to the main stream. I have a 30 year old tractor that I use to do work for the neighboring farmers. It does have a full cab but is still loud. I was hoping for something I can use to reduce this noise. I would like to listen to music but not at the volume necessary to drown out the tractors drone. The ideal situation is something that will reduce the noise comming from in front of the operator seat but still hear the equipment, especially PTO operated equipment; it is important to hear a problem that may not be obvious from the tractor seat.
I know the tecnology exists to do this but I have no idea what is available. An article I read claims a microphone is used to listen to the ambiant noise. If I had 2 microphones, one could be directed forward to reduce the engine noise and the other directed behind the cab could boost the equipment noise. This is a guess but, the tractor at operating speed and under load is close to 100 dB in the seat. The noises I have to hear are: the bang of the plows tripping, odd or new noises the hay bailer, cutting machines may make. The mowers are the quietiest but I have no idea how loud they are independantly since the tractor powers them.
The environment inside the cab can vibrate and shake, be hot, cold, damp, extreamly dusty, and basicly harsh. The cab has pervisions for a radio in the roof. It has space for a pair of 5.5" round speakers. I have a welder that says larger speakers will fit.
I need suggestions as to what is my best setup and what is the most affordable and what is in between! I hope you enjoy thinking about how I can combat this noise problem. Thanks hoader
basshead.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Wow, that's an interesting one! I was expecting a post about work at an office trying to drown out all the side conversations. Anyway, I use some Shure E3cs at work (IT department) and they do a fantastic job of eliminating noise due to the seal they create in your ears. I had some noise cancelling Sonys a while ago when I flew a lot, and I would safely say that my in-ears block more sound than the Sony noise cancellers I had, which were full cup phones. An in-ear solution may block too much noise for you. I can't even really hear my phone ring.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 9
A standard set of noise cancelling headset reduces low frequency noise by about 10-15 dB, not very much at all. Something like the Sennheiser PXC-250 might be good enough, but don't really expect these to have enough effect to protect your hearing though over the long term.

On the other hand, I think any of the canalphones will reduce too much noise. They reduce at least 20 dB across the frequency spectrum, which coupled with music, would completely drown out the noise you need to hear.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 9
Sony NC-11s with some kind of ear muff that doesn't block much if any noise so they're somewhat protected from the environment.

I have some I'd be willing to sell if you like.. pm me for details.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Shure E4 / E4C.

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 9
My experience with noice canceling headsets is that they tend to cancel the constant noise. Ie. the constant hum from aircon, big part of engine noise etc. while still letting "unexpected" voices (speak, "pling", etc) trough.
PXC-250 aren't that good in canceling noise. "Plane quiet" headphones are lot more efficient, but the overall quality of the phones: Plasticy and the sound is nothing spectacular. Though working in noisy tractor cabin one propably doesn't listen to hi-end cans anyway.

I agree to the review posted at ipodlounge.com .

I personally paid way too much for them: Listed price + $20 shipping + %15 customs + %22 VAT + $10-20 for the courier for customs declaring
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 9
With the E3c, I can't even hear the phone ring at maximun level.
I've my front co-worked trained to give me a sign when the phone is ringing.

Aug 4, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoader
I need suggestions

No problem! Good suggestions may be harder to come by.
wink.gif
I work around lots of computers and air conditioning noise, nothing like as bad as you have, but here are some options:

Affordable: Sennheiser PX200, small, closed-ish, cut out a fair bit of mid range and high frequency. A bunch of my colleagues find them useful.

Good if you don't/can't wear canalphones: Sennheiser PXC250, like PX200 with added noise cancellation to get rid of low frequency rumble. A bit fiddly, and uncomfortable after a few hours, but can be genuinely helpful in the right circumstances.

Overpriced: Bose QC2, better noise cancellation, more comfortable and convenient than PXC250, but arguably poorer sound reproduction. I got mine second hand, and they've been well worth it for my environment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
A standard set of noise cancelling headset reduces low frequency noise by about 10-15 dB, not very much at all.

Fair point, which suggests you may want earplugs as long as there aren't safety concerns. Have you considered some high-fidelity earplugs, e.g., http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx ?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Aug 5, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 9
I didn't expect so much so soon!
k1000smile.gif

DJ JonneyV -- Good point about the in-ear phones.

Warpdrive seems to lean towards the in-ear style. When I have to get out of the tractor momentarrily, are in-ear modles easer to leave on and unplug or remove the head set completely?

Jazper -- maybe a good purchase

Akwok -- non-secquator

Japa -- Maybe the sounds I need to hear may come through this type headphone.

Johnathan -- Great points about the cans, They don't breathe and are uncomfortable after a couple hours.

I need to reduce lower mids to the high end. The low end noises are not that consistant and hothing would ever block it. Try driving at 6 to 8 mph and hit a wood chuck hole; I concidered putting on a crash helmet!
Thanks all! hoader

Users who are viewing this thread

Back