Noise cancelling ear fatigue
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chloe

New Head-Fier
From my understanding noise cancelling works by phase cancellation but beyond a recording situation I don't have much knowledge. I do have sensitive ears though and wondered exactly what is my ears receiving in SPL terms during ANC (no music)?

I noticed with Sony WM1000MX4, not listening to any music, just using ANC at it's default highest level, this pressure feeling in my ears. Not around my ears pressure like wearing 3M X5A defenders.

And today Bose NC 700 testing, I only wore them 25 minutes; I think default setting is not even 100% ANC. But my ears hurt inside like I had been listening to something too loud. I don't think in either case was just the voice prompt or sound effects causing it.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I haven’t notice anything like that with my AirPods Pro or AirPods Max.

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 4
I wonder if it's to do with how much cancelling. I don't get fatigue with Sennheiser M2 AEBT either (though I wish I could turn the in ear voice prompts just down a little).

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 4
I know what you mean about feeling a pressure from some ANC products and the sort of fatigue/discomfort we can get over time. But I have no idea how or why it happens, why some people don't seem to care, or why some ANC headphones/IEMs are more of a problem than others. Something about the bandwith of the ANC and phase issues in the higher freqs? something else entirely? IDK
At some point I just gave up on ANC and started to use highly isolating IEMs, when limiting outside noise was the main objective. Which isn't really a solution and more a sign of me giving up. :poop:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back