Noise Cancelling Cans
Feb 6, 2006 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Headphone Head

New Head-Fier
Looking for some noise cancelling cans as i am selling my IEM's

I would like to have good sound isolation and good sound. Any recommendations. Is Passive or Active the way to go.

Any help would be ideal, they have to be able to cancel my girlfriend saying "stop spending money"
basshead.gif

Cheers
k1000smile.gif

HHeeed

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Head
Looking for some noise cancelling cans as i am selling my IEM's

I would like to have good sound isolation and good sound. Any recommendations. Is Passive or Active the way to go.

Any help would be ideal, they have to be able to cancel my girlfriend saying "stop spending money"
basshead.gif

Cheers
k1000smile.gif

HHeeed

I think the drummer version (with inline volume control) of the DT770-80 is supposedly a very good isolator. The A900 is also closed. There's always the Bose Quietcomfort 2, it does block out some sound quite well (but not all sound). The only problem is, once it blocks out the sound you're left with nothing but crappy audio.

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 21
If you're ready to take Passive too, then I second Mercuttio for dt770 (old version).
Look also for DT250 and HD280 which have also good reputation.

Otherwise, Active, you still have :
Koss QuietZone Pro, QuietZone2000
Sennheiser PXC 250 and up
Bose QuietComfort 2 (if you're not affraid by the price).

Anyway, what is your budget ?

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 21
I have to say that i like the look of the Beyerdynamic DJX-1 and the Sennheiser HD25 Closed Pro Headphones.

I want to be able to put these on and not be able to hear any background noise when i'm playing music, and not have to turn the headphones up to drown out the background noise

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 21
Apart from a few old Koss models that have terrible audio, I can't think of one pair that will TOTALLY eliminate ALL outside noise. I think you really ought to go with the Beyerdynamic 770 or the A900, because they're an excellent balance of GOOD audio and very good isolation from the world. I think an IEM would block better, but I just don't like the feeling of things in my ear canal.

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 21
The Beyer 770 / Ambient noise attenuation approx. 18 dBA

Cant find the info for the other model you listed

Beyerdynamic DT770M Closed Headphones/ These Badboys do 35db, these are the drummer version.

So the current winners are the Beyers, they dont look ultra portable, but i suppose if you buy the ones that flip and close, they dont have the same isolation. Are there any others with this kind of sound isolation and good sound quality ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Head
I have to say that i like the look of the Beyerdynamic DJX-1 and the Sennheiser HD25 Closed Pro Headphones.

I want to be able to put these on and not be able to hear any background noise when i'm playing music, and not have to turn the headphones up to drown out the background noise

Which environment? Portable? Forget it. On a bus or subway you will always have some noise leaking in, it is never quite like IEMs. Nevertheless the HD-25 is very very well isolating. Plus it likes to be upgraded (just do a search!) while the basic unit is fine already. Plus it does not look like a lot of money to the uninitiated. If your application is non-portable you may want something more comfortable. The HD-25 is designed to be put on your head and *stay there*.

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 21
I wear DT770-80s everywhere. They're portable to me!

Feb 6, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 21
Yeah i understand there will always be a little bit of sound sneaking in, well this is the thing really.

I have curretly got Senn HD-650 that i use at home, i use some B&O A8 Hearphones when i am on the move. It would be for travelling, planes trains and hotel rooms really
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like them to be slightly portable but if that comes at too much of a isolation cost then i'm not that bothered.

I would like the most isolation i can get but so that they still sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 21
Whether to go passive or active depends on listening environment. I've used Bose QC2 and Sennheiser PXC-250 on planes, and they're great because the active noise cancelling reduces the low-frequency rumble in a way that ordinary closed headphones just can't match. But you do pay, in $$ and loss of sound quality with the Bose, in comfort and fiddly-ness with the Sennheiser. So take your pick.

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 21
What type of sound are you hoping to block? If you want to cancel the roar of an airplane engine, most of the active cancelling phones seem to do that pretty well. If you are looking to block out office noises, like voices and tapping keyboards, the consumer active models will do very little for you. None that I have tried work above a certain frequency.

Until I started using IEM's at work, my favorite was the AKG K271S. It has good isolation for all frequencies and a very nice sound overall. Most folks, including me, seem to find them just a little shy in the bass though.

-Chris

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 21
Hi,

I would be using these mostly at home i think but i would like to take them places with me, put them on and not hear much of any noise around me.

I dont know if active headphones would be annoying when i am at home as they emit sound. I am not going to be on a plane all the time.
I live in a noisy enviroment and would like to be able to put some headphones on that cancel the outside world and let me listen to the music.

I have the Senns HD-650, amazing quality but they do let in quite a bit of external noise.

I cant use IEM's because i have very small ear canals and they just hurt my ears or fall out of my ears. I have had both the Shure Ec5 and Ultimate ears pro 5.

HHeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
If you're ready to take Passive too, then I second Mercuttio for dt770 (old version).
Look also for DT250 and HD280 which have also good reputation.

Otherwise, Active, you still have :
Koss QuietZone Pro, QuietZone2000
Sennheiser PXC 250 and up
Bose QuietComfort 2 (if you're not affraid by the price).

Anyway, what is your budget ?

Ko,

My purpose is to use for air travel -- blocking out engine noise. Quality of music is not a priority... Given that, any thoughts on the three active sets you note above? I have tried teh Bose, but not the other two.

ajg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back