Noise Cancelling Cans
Feb 25, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #16 of 21
I can vouch for the PXC250. It retains a lot of it's musicality despite the active noise cancelling being on. I used one on my daily commute on the train and it did a great job of cutting out the low frequency rumblings of the train.

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Head
I cant use IEM's because i have very small ear canals and they just hurt my ears or fall out of my ears. I have had both the Shure Ec5 and Ultimate ears pro 5.

You sound like an ideal candidate for a custom IEM!
etysmile.gif

If you're still searching for your ultimate solution and haven't ruled out IEMs due to other reasons, you should give some thought to Westone, Ultimate Ears, Sensaphonics, etc. In fact if you still have your other IEMs, Sensaphonics may make custom ear moulds for them. I just ordered a set for my ER4s, though I haven't yet received them.

Customs tend to insure a great seal, reduce microphonics, and are much more comfortable. And they block *everything*.

**EDIT** I just re-read that.. you have UE-5s... you mean the customs? If so, ignore everything I just said.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
how expensive are custom molds by sensaphonics for like etymotic ER-4p or ER-6i?

It cost me $50cdn (~45usd) to get the impressions done. It was an interesting experience.

Free shipping from work.
evil_smiley.gif

Plus $115usd for the actual sleeves, including shipping.

So all told (assuming you have to pay shipping to them), under $200.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 21
I wasn't a big fan of the PXC 250. With the noise canceling on, it seemed like it just raised the volume of the music...which, I guess would cancel some ambient noise, but not what I had in mind. Also, it would create a noticeable hiss in the background. They annoyed me to the point that I sold them.

Just my opinion. I'm now looking into IEMs.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #21 of 21
If you expect anything with active noise cancelling to clear out ALL noise around you, you're not going to be happy with what they actually do. In practice, I found that the DT 770 cancels out JUST as much noise as a QC2, mostly in the realm of the lower frequencies and the hum of electronics. Higher pitched things (voices) can still be heard. The DT 770 deadens these a little bit too, better than the QC2. Only IEMs cancel everything, and then you've got the noise of your own body to deal with! You'll hear the sounds of your own clothing rustle, etc!

It's all about how much and what types of vibration can reach your eardrums...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back