NOD32 users
Jul 5, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Hmm....curious as to what the hype was, so I DL'd a "trial version". I recently uninstalled Symantec Anti-Virus Corp Ed, and frankly, haven't looked back.

I can now see why there are band wagoners for this AV. It's only initially resource heavy (boot-up), but after that, the AMON isn't bad at all, in fact, it's REALLY light. It's REALLY generic looking though (version 2.70.39), but for an anti-virus program, I guess it doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work. And that it does.

I like it, even if it is ugly.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 32
But I prefer my anti-virus colored! Green to be precise.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 32
I have been using NOD32 for some years now, along with other spyware and cleaning programs, and I am not tempted to try other antivirus software. Luckily for me, I learned my lesson many years ago that Symantec products are crap, and never again going into my computer!

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 32
I used to use it but the subscription ran out and I couldn't be bothered paying again so now I just use Antivir.

It was really good though.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 32
AVG is also a very good free antivirus/antispyware application.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 32
I use it too, and don't mind the look of it since it just sits in the tray 99% of the time, and I can pretty much forget it's running with the resources it uses. Only time I really see it is when I download something someone's tried to hide a virus in, then I get a big red window so I know something's up lol.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 32
I have the 3.0, and it looks much better than the old versions IMO.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AVG is also a very good free antivirus/antispyware application.

AVG 8 is crap if you are a end user. I get least 10 calls a day where someone cant get email or to web pages because AVG 8's built in firewall has locked them out.

AntiVir FTW

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm....curious as to what the hype was, so I DL'd a "trial version". I recently uninstalled Symantec Anti-Virus Corp Ed, and frankly, haven't looked back.

I can now see why there are band wagoners for this AV. It's only initially resource heavy (boot-up), but after that, the AMON isn't bad at all, in fact, it's REALLY light. It's REALLY generic looking though (version 2.70.39), but for an anti-virus program, I guess it doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work. And that it does.

I like it, even if it is ugly.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

The new version 3.x is much better looking. They look like any other AV. And if you get their security suite, you will find that their firewall is just as light as their AV. That's why it's called the "antivirus of gamers". I always leave all modules on when gaming, because the difference is so small.

And it's heuristics is one of the most powerful in the world, if not the most powerful.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 3.0, and it looks much better than the old versions IMO.

Agreed, when I upgraded to 3.0 it was icing on the cake.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it's heuristics is one of the most powerful in the world, if not the most powerful.

Yup, the only other option I'd consider is Kaspersky (I'm not actually sure which is the better), but I already have NOD32 and I'm happy with it...

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AVG 8 is crap if you are a end user. I get least 10 calls a day where someone cant get email or to web pages because AVG 8's built in firewall has locked them out.

AntiVir FTW

AFAIK the AVG free 8 has no firewall at all...They have a more complete paid version that does, but the free version has not firewall included.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back