Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp
Nov 4, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #287 of 388
Still waiting for the Mullards. They're in the post from the UK so I am hoping I get them tomorrow. Anyway, I had another theory and would be interested to hear thoughts on it. So a typical setup might be as follows:

Music player (PC, Phone, tablet, whatever) -> DAC -> Nobsound NS-08E - Headphones.

We all know the NS-08E is a hybrid amplifier. So the tube acts as a voltage follower, or a buffer. It does not provide any amplification. But since the audio signal passes through it, it effectively provides the "tube effect" in terms of response. Hence the different quality sounds when using different tubes and the different sound versus just using a DAC -> Solid State Amp -> Headphones. So it effectively filters the audio with the tube sound. This is my take on it anyway. The amplification in the NS-08E is provided by some solid-state op-amps at the output, after the tubes.

Now with any amplifier, the distortion and harmonics are higher when the input signal amplitude is larger. The harmonic distortion contributes to the tube sound, according to my understanding. So my guesstimate theory is that we should maybe be pumping maximum amplitude through the valves. This means for a given listening volume, we should crank up the volume on the music player to maximum while setting the volume on the NS-08E to minimum. Balancing the volume in this way means maximum audio amplitude passing through the valves.

Maybe this results in a better sound. I don't know. Just thought I would throw this out there for some opinions either way.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #288 of 388
Still waiting for the Mullards. They're in the post from the UK so I am hoping I get them tomorrow. Anyway, I had another theory and would be interested to hear thoughts on it. So a typical setup might be as follows:

Music player (PC, Phone, tablet, whatever) -> DAC -> Nobsound NS-08E - Headphones.

We all know the NS-08E is a hybrid amplifier. So the tube acts as a voltage follower, or a buffer. It does not provide any amplification. But since the audio signal passes through it, it effectively provides the "tube effect" in terms of response. Hence the different quality sounds when using different tubes and the different sound versus just using a DAC -> Solid State Amp -> Headphones. So it effectively filters the audio with the tube sound. This is my take on it anyway. The amplification in the NS-08E is provided by some solid-state op-amps at the output, after the tubes.

Now with any amplifier, the distortion and harmonics are higher when the input signal amplitude is larger. The harmonic distortion contributes to the tube sound, according to my understanding. So my guesstimate theory is that we should maybe be pumping maximum amplitude through the valves. This means for a given listening volume, we should crank up the volume on the music player to maximum while setting the volume on the NS-08E to minimum. Balancing the volume in this way means maximum audio amplitude passing through the valves.

Maybe this results in a better sound. I don't know. Just thought I would throw this out there for some opinions either way.

Hmm, like driving my NS-08E from the "line outs" of my CD player. Higher output than any phone or media player. Sounds great this way even with the stock tubes.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #289 of 388
I just got my tubes in. First report, the GE's must have been defective or damaged in shipping. All I got was a high pitched whine sound and no music. Very microphonic as well. The Amperex tubes are very good. The mids are tamed and the bass is stronger yet more detailed. The highs are nice and clean as well. Now I'm wondering should I spend more money rolling other tubes or quit while I'm ahead? The Mullards and other Amperex tube seem to be more expensive. For now I'll enjoy some music :L3000:

EDIT: maybe the 6J4's aren't compatible after all?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #290 of 388
Hi, could I just ask the guy (RickyM) who purchased the 'New Upgraded' version of the Nobsound where he bought it from as I've just ordered one from Amazon here in the UK and was under the impression as stated on their website it should be a 6j9 which I have tubes for, but just finishing reading your article RickyM you were supplied with a 6j3 amp, I'm praying not from Amazon as I'm likely to receive the same, ok I can send it back or keep it but with 3 sets of extra tubes I'd feel rather.....Erm...miffed for want of a better phrase. Can 'RickyM' or 'Tinker22' help me out on this one? Kind regards. ps....if it goes 'Pete Tong' then I guess someone in the UK is going to get a bargain!...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #291 of 388
Hi, could I just ask the guy (RickyM) who purchased the 'New Upgraded' version of the Nobsound where he bought it from as I've just ordered one from Amazon here in the UK and was under the impression as stated on their website it should be a 6j9 which I have tubes for, but just finishing reading your article RickyM you were supplied with a 6j3 amp, I'm praying not from Amazon as I'm likely to receive the same, ok I can send it back or keep it but with 3 sets of extra tubes I'd feel rather.....Erm...miffed for want of a better phrase. Can 'RickyM' or 'Tinker22' help me out on this one? Kind regards. ps....if it goes 'Pete Tong' then I guess someone in the UK is going to get a bargain!...
Just received the amp and its a 6j9 thankfully, I'll probably give the stock tubes a good go at first before attempting some rolling and op amps as well, sounds nice so hopefully it'll last a bit............wonder what the upgraded version sounds like.....maybe another day.....

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #292 of 388
Yeah, I got mine from Amazon and in the description it does say the package contains 6J9 tubes. This leads me to believe Amazon UK still has the first models in stock and they're shipping those out first. BTW, what are the tubes you have? I have the Amperex tubes and LM4562na Op-amps and it sounds great. I get the feeling that with a really great set of cans it would be killer.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #293 of 388
Yeah, I got mine from Amazon and in the description it does say the package contains 6J9 tubes. This leads me to believe Amazon UK still has the first models in stock and they're shipping those out first. BTW, what are the tubes you have? I have the Amperex tubes and LM4562na Op-amps and it sounds great. I get the feeling that with a really great set of cans it would be killer.
Hi and thanks for the reply, got some Mullard E180F's from 'Yitry' on EBay and a pair of Russian 6j9's (I think) ordered off a reliable seller ' Audiozomba' both a matching pair and around £18 for a pair, then a matching pair of again Russian 6j9's from a foreign European seller 'Brandmix'£12 the pair so I've plenty of mixing and matching to do along with op amps as well, I've got a pair of hd600's from years and years ago, Richer Sounds were selling them cheap back then for around £45 a pair, forgot I had them and how good they were! But at the moment I'm just listening to it through a cheap and nasty pair of Betron's!!!! Still sounds good though....Amperex WAY to expensive for me to get posted in from the States but you never know...Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #300 of 388
Hi All, my first post!
I bought this amp from Amazon UK and got the newer 6J3 version, however I had already gone out and bought some Tesla E180F NOS valves which I found are completely different. are there any upgrade valves for the 6J3 valves that anyone has tried yet?
Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back