Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp
Jul 11, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #31 of 388
To avoid technical discussions WHY you should not use selectable gain w/o real necessity, remember one of the basic rules for designing electric/electronic components:

More components, more wires - more distortions.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #32 of 388
  To avoid technical discussions WHY you should not use selectable gain w/o real necessity, remember one of the basic rules for designing electric/electronic components:

More components, more wires - more distortions.

People should buy the Magni 1 and not the Magni 2 since the 2 has a gain switch and so more distortion?  

I don't expect lots of features on this amp for the price.  They'd just be nice is all.  I can like it while also pointing out its shortcomings.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 388
Ok. To avoid discussions in electronics, a valid answer: Magni (and some others) were designed electrically with a gain feature right from the beginning. Calculated and tuned in respective sections. NE08 was not designed with it in mind and SQ will suffer.

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #34 of 388
Well, I have had this amp a couple of weeks now & before I talk about it I just want to clear up a few things first.

1) This amp does not run hot, warm yes but not hot. You can put your fingers on it & leave them there all day if you wish.
    It does not need any extra heatsinking, or extra holes, not to mention the 2 big holes already in the top for the tubes.

2) I don't have any problem with the adaptors fitting. In fact the recesses IMO have been designed to perfectly accomodate said adaptors.
    The recesses are large enough diameter & shallow enough NOT to interfere, and add to the overall aesthetics.

Here is a link to an adaptor that is not 10ft long. I use this for my fostex phones that only have 1/4" jacks. It will set you back a
    whopping $3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252322042871?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3) Bypassing the tubes is the silliest thing I have heard for a "tube" amp.

This amp is well constructed & looks great, probably the greatest hifi bargain out there for $44 inc shipping.

First I threw out the junk chinese tubes & replaced with 2 RCA NOS 6688A tubes (a whopping $20 total) & just ran it for a few days before any listening. I think the tube choice is part of the magic too. These miniatures seem way under appreciated in the audiophile world.

Sounds way way above it's price point. Not the last word in sound quality(maybe) but extremely good (about 90%+ towards nirvana, LOL).

Warm yes, but clear & detailed with the AKG241's. No detectable distortion & in fact best I have heard these phones & partner extremely well with this amp. Seem to get a little bit extra bass & much less sibilance with these cans also.

The tech spec's are impressive too, 1.1W @ 32 ohms, 0.005THD 110SNR

Can easily live with this amp, for a desktop system you really do not have to look any further.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #35 of 388
  Well, I have had this amp a couple of weeks now & before I talk about it I just want to clear up a few things first.

1) This amp does not run hot, warm yes but not hot. You can put your fingers on it & leave them there all day if you wish.
    It does not need any extra heatsinking, or extra holes, not to mention the 2 big holes already in the top for the tubes.

2) I don't have any problem with the adaptors fitting. In fact the recesses IMO have been designed to perfectly accomodate said adaptors.
    The recesses are large enough diameter & shallow enough NOT to interfere, and add to the overall aesthetics.

Here is a link to an adaptor that is not 10ft long. I use this for my fostex phones that only have 1/4" jacks. It will set you back a
    whopping $3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252322042871?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3) Bypassing the tubes is the silliest thing I have heard for a "tube" amp.

First I threw out the junk chinese tubes & replaced with 2 RCA NOS 6688A tubes (a whopping $20 total) & just ran it for a few days before any listening. I think the tube choice is part of the magic too. These miniatures seem way under appreciated in the audiophile world.

I already said I like the amp.

I said it gets "kind of hot." Which it does.  Electronics usually like to be cool, so while saying it doesn't "need" more venting may be accurate, more venting could potentially prolong its life.  Not everyone uses such things in a well-ventilated, 70-degree A/C'd space, either.  Do you think more venting would possibly hurt more than possibly help?

That adapter may only be a "whopping" $3, but it also adds an extra cable, and that can affect the sound.  I got a new DAC yesterday and tried it with this and was immediately disappointed at it sounding dull.  I then tried different cables and got different sounds. So I prefer to avoid adding more unknown cheap cables into the equation with an adapter.  I was going to post about that yesterday but figured someone would want to fight about cables not mattering or about how this amp always sounds perfect.

You say bypassing the tubes would be silly because it's a tube amp. What's silly is not considering someone may want the power for the price while not necessarily caring whether it has tubes or not, and not wanting to possibly have to replace two tubes every 500-1000 hours. Mine will probably be left on 100+ hours a week. If using two of the better recommended tubes, every year the tubes cost the same price as the amp did, or more.  After two years of use, the cost usage of the amp would be around $150 or more and continue to rise. If so, there's other amps to consider in the $150+ range that someone may or may not prefer. 

I have multiple 1/4-1/8 adapters. They don't fit.  
I put my Fostex 3.5mm cable in there.  It fits, but it's small and needs to be tweezered a bit when trying to remove it.  
You say the recesses have been perfectly designed for said adapters.  Well, my generic adapters don't fit, and my Takstar adapters don't fit, and my Sennheiser adapters don't fit, so I don't think the recess is perfectly designed.

These are generally minor shortcomings for the price, but covering up potential problems of this amp doesn't do potential buyers any favors.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #36 of 388
I said it gets "kind of hot." Which it does

I stand by my original statement, it gets warm not hot.

Electronics usually like to be cool, so while saying it doesn't "need" more venting may be accurate, more venting could potentially prolong its life.  Not everyone uses such things in a well-ventilated, 70-degree A/C'd space, either.

As stated, heat is not an issue so it is completely irrelevent, but hey whatever floats your boat.

That adapter may only be a "whopping" $3, but it also adds an extra cable, and that can affect the sound

Here is the solution for you:

https://www.amazon.com/BesYee-2-Pack-conductor-female-adapter/dp/B0177DCOIS/ref=sr_1_5?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1468435639&sr=1-5&keywords=1+8+female+to+1+8+male+adapter

And a picture if the link doesn't work

Slim, slim, slim, gold plated, lookee no cables, what a bargain only $8 for two.

You say bypassing the tubes would be silly because it's a tube amp. What's silly is not considering someone may want the power for the price while not necessarily caring whether it has tubes or not

Your right it's not silly, it's downright ridiculous

not wanting to possibly have to replace two tubes every 500-1000 hours. Mine will probably be left on 100+ hours a week. If using two of the better recommended tubes, every year the tubes cost the same price as the amp did, or more.  After two years of use, the cost usage of the amp would be around $150 or more and continue to rise. If so, there's other amps to consider in the $150+ range that someone may or may not prefer.

First of all most tubes (excluding the chinese junk & maybe the modern tubes ( I don't know because I never use them)), including NOS miniatures are usually rated for 5000hours & some @ 10000hours (especially military).
So 5000/100 = 50 weeks, roughly a year say. Worst case I think you would be spending $20 per year per set. Big bucks.

Incidentally my main power amp has tubes in the preamp & SS in the output just like this one. In this application I dont think It is
working that hard. In the last 7 years or more I have only had to replace 1 tube. I do not expect to be changing tubes like you are suggesting & are just making a mountain out of a molehill.

I have multiple 1/4-1/8 adapters. They don't fit.  
I put my Fostex 3.5mm cable in there.  It fits, but it's small and needs to be tweezered a bit when trying to remove it.

See above, not an issue

You say the recesses have been perfectly designed for said adapters.  Well, my generic adapters don't fit, and my Takstar adapters don't fit, and my Sennheiser adapters don't fit, so I don't think the recess is perfectly designed.

OK, I will rephrase that "it's been nicely designed to fit most peoples headphone jacks and/or adapters, for those that do have problems, see above"
You know it's interesting, if you go to Amazon there are 68 reviews of this amp, mostly good, but if you look at the complaints not 1 single person has any issues with heat or adaptors, weird uhh.

These are generally minor shortcomings for the price, but covering up potential problems of this amp doesn't do potential buyers any favors

That's a serious accusation there pal. There is no cover up going on, once again you are being overly dramatic. My assessment is as I see it. Like I say I believe this is the greatest bargain in desktop amps today bar none and I cannot find any issues at all in this equipment  which is a very rare thing. I am very picky & have tried at least 4 head amps before this. Right now I do not see any need to upgrade in the future. The only unknown is long term reliabilty, but only time will tell.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #37 of 388
What's the difference between "warm" and "kind of hot?"  

Mine's in an 86-degree room right now.  I put my hands on an LCD monitor.  It's warm.  I put my hands on the amp.  It's on but not being used, and it's kind of hot. 

You posted another link to an adapter, along with what looks to be some aggressive/snide comments.  You still seem to want to brush aside the actual point that the recessed plugs are not typical and could cause a problem with some people's equipment.  Takstar doesn't fit.  Sennheiser doesn't fit.  That shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but it's possible for some people.  I already said I consider it a minor problem especially for the price, but it still is what it is and trying to brush aside criticisms of the amp doesn't do people any favors.  If so, may as well rename this to the "Nobsound is perfect, reply if you agree" thread.

And yet again you insert aggressive/snide comments about the price of tubes.  Even $20 a year, 2-3 years of use makes this the same price as a Magni or other things, and more expensive every day after that.  Some people may think such considerations are unimportant, but other people may not, and they may decide to get something different after factoring in cost of use.

You know it's interesting, if you go to Amazon there are 68 reviews of this amp, mostly good, but if you look at the complaints not 1 single person has any issues with heat or adaptors, weird uhh.

How many of those people are using headphones with 1/4" ends?  Probably not many.

These are generally minor shortcomings for the price, but covering up potential problems of this amp doesn't do potential buyers any favors

That's a serious accusation there pal. There is no cover up going on, once again you are being overly dramatic. My assessment is as I see it. Like I say I believe this is the greatest bargain in desktop amps today bar none and I cannot find any issues at all in this equipment  which is a very rare thing. I am very picky & have tried at least 4 head amps before this. Right now I do not see any need to upgrade in the future. The only unknown is long term reliabilty, but only time will tell.

You're the one being overly dramatic, taking minor criticisms of this amp that would-be buyers might like to be aware of and acting like they are a personal affront to you. And you're being aggressive and snide about it, pal.  

Takstar and Sennheiser adapters don't work?  Who cares!
Stock tubes suck, need to be replaced with more expensive ones, and depending on hours of use this "cheap" amp may cost more than a Magni?  Who cares!
Wondering if you can take this bargain amp that only uses the tubes for a buffer anyway and eliminate the tubes to make it a solid-state bargain amp that never needs the tubes replaced? That's silly and ridiculous!  Just buy a Magni for 2x+ as much instead!

You say the only unknown is long term reliability.  Electronics tend to have a longer life if they run cooler, but fortunately for this electronic device I'm told heat is completely irrelevant.

We both like the amp.  I'm trying to discuss it more than just saying it's great.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #38 of 388
I just picked this hybrid up very impulsively. I was looking for something to get me over the hump for Amazon same-day delivery and stumbled upon it and then looked up a really random review from Sound & Vision magazine that liked it and just jumped on it also based on the amazon reviews and I'm pretty happy with it. What a steal! 

It's solidly made and looks unique enough mostly because of the compact size and odd color choices. I really had doubts on how much signal noise or distortion it would make but this actually sounds great. The warm signature it brings is quite enjoyable. I really liked it paired with my HTC 10. I was looking for a small little amp to help it with some planar magnetic headphones (Fostex T50RP and soon to be coming Audeze Sines) and this really pairs well with the HTC 10 DAC sound which is a little bit more V/U-shaped than I like raising some of the mids back to enjoyable levels and actually made details come out a little more and open up the soundstage a bit wider.

I also paired these with my MSI Laptop which uses an ESS Sabre Hifi DAC/Amp which is pretty capable of pushing most headphones and I didn't really like the results as much. It made the mids and bass a bit too boomier than I'd like with a little loss of detail. That said, the discrete dac/amp sound really good on its own so I didnt need to mess with a good thing.

To the previous comments, it does get a tad warm but I would not call it "hot" by any means. You can touch it and keep touching the amp surface (not the tubes!) and be fine. I used a variety of different headphones (various IEMs, buds, and headphones with different cables) and I didn't experience any issues plugging them into the jacks. I could see how some cables may have trouble but I've switched out all my 3.5mm detachable cables to ones that work with recessed ports because they need to be anyway to work with my headphones.

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #39 of 388

To the previous comments, it does get a tad warm but I would not call it "hot" by any means. You can touch it and keep touching the amp surface (not the tubes!) and be fine. I used a variety of different headphones (various IEMs, buds, and headphones with different cables) and I didn't experience any issues plugging them into the jacks. I could see how some cables may have trouble but I've switched out all my 3.5mm detachable cables to ones that work with recessed ports because they need to be anyway to work with my headphones.

Some of my larger 3.5mm might be a close fit, but they fit.  It's adapters that can be a problem. It's a minor thing, but it's a thing.

If this isn't considered kind of hot, then the Schiit Magni is like in a freezer.  It's not even close to the temperature my NS08 gets.  Does such a temperature difference matter?  Is the NS08 designed to operate fine for decades at the higher temp?  Does my particular NS08 run hotter than yours for some strange reason?  Who knows. 

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #40 of 388
Thank you for your common sense review of this amp. I concur with what you say.

On a different general note, does anyone have any expertise on power supplies.
I am currently using a regulated switching power supply but I have seen reference
to "linear" regulated power supplies. Anyone know if there would be any benefit
in using this kind of power supply?

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #41 of 388
Several thoughts could be totalled (not in any specific order).
1. From the valves I tested the stock ones were the most hot ones. All other I was replacing by bare hand immediately after switching off. And I am not a Lava man to deal with really hot items.
2. Stock valves sound too warm (but it could be up to someone taste) and muddy. The better cans you have, better heard. So any other pair of tubes is better. But beware, some may give too lean lows (up to taste, but gives strange feeling at bass heavy tracks).
3. Even a stock op amps are good, but also could be rolled.
4. Power supplies coming with amp could be different, they are acceptable if you were lucky, but try another one if you hear some noises, especially periodic ones. For this type of devices it could mean heavy wear of valves of PSU problems, but periodic rumble is not coming from tubes.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #42 of 388
  Several thoughts could be totalled (not in any specific order).
1. From the valves I tested the stock ones were the most hot ones. All other I was replacing by bare hand immediately after switching off. And I am not a Lava man to deal with really hot items.
2. Stock valves sound too warm (but it could be up to someone taste) and muddy. The better cans you have, better heard. So any other pair of tubes is better. But beware, some may give too lean lows (up to taste, but gives strange feeling at bass heavy tracks).
3. Even a stock op amps are good, but also could be rolled.
4. Power supplies coming with amp could be different, they are acceptable if you were lucky, but try another one if you hear some noises, especially periodic ones. For this type of devices it could mean heavy wear of valves of PSU problems, but periodic rumble is not coming from tubes.

I prefer tubes that would give me a slight warmth but mostly neutral signature but widening the stage a bit to use with my HTC10 (uses the new Snapdragon Acqstic DAC). Do you have any recommendations?

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #43 of 388
To avoid thinking about quality but being possible to find at a good price - look for Mullard or Mullard made. BTW, I was lucky finding valves at eBay, even from garage sales. And cheaper than special stores. But if you have one within an hour car ride - better get them with some guarantee.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #44 of 388
@edulov, how stable is the LT1364 in this amp? Has there been any noticeable deterioration in sound over time? I had a pair ordered a while ago and tried each out on my cmoy, but I think I fried them due to circuit incompatibility, which, not being an electronics expert, I didn't know at the time. I'm currently listening to Blondie on my NS-08 using Dario E180F's and OPA2107's with my Grado SR325is and am enjoying the sound, but I'm intrigued about the soundstage the LT1364 has to offer and am considering buying a pair of these again...

Aug 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #45 of 388
Sorry for the delay. LT1364 is a perfect match with different tubes, just don't mess with a key leg. LT offers refined sound compared to many others with both bass and treble ext., very good control. According to specs LT has slightly lower noises at high treble, but 2107 offer slightly better gain. The thing is that I can't use more then 1/3 of the amp's volume even for 600 Ohm headphones, not even talking about standard 16-32 ones. So this becomes irrelevant.

Some mentioned that OPA's provide darker sound, so I exluded them from my consideration, since if I want dark sound, I have headphones for that.

Testing different op ams and valves in this amp I got a clear understanding that most effect at soundstage is caused by tube rolling, swithing op amps you can improve it only slightly, mostly in terms of positioning of instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back