Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #346 of 388
I had this nobsound in my office setup with a dragonfly red, but I had switched to being remote well before the pandemic so this was just sitting in storage in my garage at home. I just happened to stumble on to it again so I hooked it up again. I had upgraded tubes to Amperex 6688 which made a huge difference in sound (love the soundstaging and a fun midbass bump (it was the tracks I was listening too). this has got to be one of the cheapest platforms to do tube rolling). Currently listening with my LCD-1. In any case, I rediscovered the fun with this little setup. Rolling op amps also sounds like something fun to try too.

TIYxyN8.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #347 of 388
I had this nobsound in my office setup with a dragonfly red, but I had switched to being remote well before the pandemic so this was just sitting in storage in my garage at home. I just happened to stumble on to it again so I hooked it up again. I had upgraded tubes to Amperex 6688 which made a huge difference in sound (love the soundstaging and a fun midbass bump. this has got to be one of the cheapest platforms to do tube rolling). Currently listening with my LCD-1. In any case, I rediscovered the fun with this little setup. Rolling op amps also sounds like something fun to try too.

TIYxyN8.jpg
Dang it. Just boxed mine up in favor of my new iFi Zen. Maybe pull it back out too!! LOL. Only reason I boxed it up was for desk space.

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #349 of 388
I had tried a couple different opamps from digikey, the LM4562NA ($1.74 each) and the OPA2134PA ($5.08 each). Both were an improvement over the stock NE5532. I settled on the OPA2134PA with Amperex tubes. But I just swapped in the Burson V5i ($79/pair) and that totally blew away the OPA2134PA. It brought a bit more mid presence, but more importantly it significantly cleaned up the bass which would sometimes get a bit bloated/muddy. I also received some Mullards so I'll to give those a roll to compare to the Amperex.

21NVtDQ.jpg

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #350 of 388
I had tried a couple different opamps from digikey, the LM4562NA ($1.74 each) and the OPA2134PA ($5.08 each). Both were an improvement over the stock NE5532. I settled on the OPA2134PA with Amperex tubes. But I just swapped in the Burson V5i ($79/pair) and that totally blew away the OPA2134PA. It brought a bit more mid presence, but more importantly it significantly cleaned up the bass which would sometimes get a bit bloated/muddy. I also received some Mullards so I'll to give those a roll to compare to the Amperex.

21NVtDQ.jpg
Thanks for the rolling. Very interesting. May open mine up now.

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #351 of 388
Thanks for the rolling. Very interesting. May open mine up now.
If you haven't upgraded the opamp, definitely worth it. I've also ordered a pair of Sparkos SS3601 based on a recommendation. About the same price as the Burson though.

The Mullards so far have been great. Probably my favorite. Had to retry all my tubes after the opamp change. I have GE JAN, Amperex, and Mullard.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #352 of 388
Hello, I’ve just purchased this little amp and I’m looking into changing the amps to the Burson V5i.
I noticed there are 2 models a dual and single and looking the the original amp it’s a dual but I just wanted to double check it’s the dual channel V5i that would be the direct replacement.
Thanks.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #353 of 388
Hello, I’ve just purchased this little amp and I’m looking into changing the amps to the Burson V5i.
I noticed there are 2 models a dual and single and looking the the original amp it’s a dual but I just wanted to double check it’s the dual channel V5i that would be the direct replacement.
Thanks.
The dual is what I replaced mine with.

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #356 of 388
Report back what you think!
Will do. I’ve also ordered a pair of Russian 6J3P to change out the ones supplied. I’m a Valve novice 😊 the closet to valves in my current speaker setup is the Musical Fidelity A370.2 where Tim de Paravicini (EAR) was involved in some of the design work of this massive solid state amp and with great sadness is no longer with us.

The amp is up and running while I wait for all the items to arrive and I’m using my HD660S. Will be interesting to see what difference the amps make then I’ll swap the valves and have a listen.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #357 of 388
Ok I’ve had a while with the amp and I suppose this is all objective but as it stands with no modifications I find it’s a tad grainy or course up in the top end and a bit congested overall. It’s not bad but that’s the traits I’m finding but in a way there is a fluid or a more open type sound which I like.
Reading the thread I hope the change of tubes and the opamps bring a more detailed sound but keep the open type sound. It’s an interesting little amp for sure.

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #358 of 388
Ok I’ve had a while with the amp and I suppose this is all objective but as it stands with no modifications I find it’s a tad grainy or course up in the top end and a bit congested overall. It’s not bad but that’s the traits I’m finding but in a way there is a fluid or a more open type sound which I like.
Reading the thread I hope the change of tubes and the opamps bring a more detailed sound but keep the open type sound. It’s an interesting little amp for sure.
In stock form, the sound is compromised. The burson opamps make a substantial improvement and tubes can as well. I'd recommend the mullards or amperex

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #360 of 388
I don’t believe they are but I could be wrong. Mines the 7 pin version so I need to look around for more valves.
I’ve just received the Russian valves and just trying them now. First impressions are it’s cleaner sounding. Need a bit of listening but so far so good. just need the opamps now.

Edit. Spent the afternoon having a nice long session relaxing and its quite a difference with the swap of valves. Gone has the harshness or grainy texture in the highs and overall a cleaner sound which helps the separation of instruments. I’m really hoping the opamps can add more detail but for a cheap little amp I’m pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back