Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp
Nov 13, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #331 of 388
I had been happy to drive HD 800S with Chord Dave Dac direct.

Sound & Vision – 21 Jun 16

Tube Amps for Pocket Change Nobsound NS-08E
Nobsound NS-08E Performance Features Ergonomics

I happened to come across above review.

Upon relying Amazon return policy, i pulled the trigger for it.

I did not expect any improvement by the amp.

It there is no significant deterioration vs direct Dave connection, it would have been nice.

On the contrary to my lower expectation, it made sound more exciting without harsh edge added.

1500×1500

https://www.amazon.com/Fairytales-Original-Master-Dogrobosz-Toneff/dp/B01D8QBNLM/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1573691594&sr=8-4

This is one of my favorite Jazz recording that I had enjoyed since 1999.

This CD sounds more natural with amp than through Dave direct.

Transparency got reduced by tiny bit but to tolerable extent.

It will work wonder for less Dac than Dave.

I am also going to do tube rolling with some Nos tubes.

RTC 5654 RT

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #332 of 388
I had been happy to drive HD 800S with Chord Dave Dac direct.

Sound & Vision – 21 Jun 16

Tube Amps for Pocket Change Nobsound NS-08E
Nobsound NS-08E Performance Features Ergonomics

I happened to come across above review.

Upon relying Amazon return policy, i pulled the trigger for it.

I did not expect any improvement by the amp.

It there is no significant deterioration vs direct Dave connection, it would have been nice.

On the contrary to my lower expectation, it made sound more exciting without harsh edge added.

1500×1500

https://www.amazon.com/Fairytales-Original-Master-Dogrobosz-Toneff/dp/B01D8QBNLM/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1573691594&sr=8-4

This is one of my favorite Jazz recording that I had enjoyed since 1999.

This CD sounds more natural with amp than through Dave direct.

Transparency got reduced by tiny bit but to tolerable extent.

It will work wonder for less Dac than Dave.

I am also going to do tube rolling with some Nos tubes.

RTC 5654 RT
For the money they are a cracking bit of kit.
I've had mine for a while now in regular use with Russian long life tube's and it's been superb. :ksc75smile:

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #333 of 388
On a whim I bought this amp (the Nobsound NS-08E), it's impressive -especially for $50. Can someone recommend a DAC to pair it with? I listen to music on my Android Phone & Senn 599; with the addition of the NS-08E, I'm hoping to improve the setup with a small DAC as well. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #336 of 388
I was very happy with the USB-C to 3.5mm DAC from Samsung. https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/m.../usb-c-headphone-jack-adapter-ee-uc10juwegus/

I bought it because I have a Note 10, but then thought why not try it on a USB-C port on my laptop. I was very happy with the results. Windows seems to think it can do higher bit and sample rates than it advertises. Not sure if that's true or not and I won't go into the sample rate debate, but I'm very happy with it.

It sits between my laptop dock and NobSound NS-08E. Listening primarily with Sennheiser 660s headphones. I bought two more, one for the office, one for home and one for travel.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #340 of 388
I'v got a question on tube rolling, also I have some general comments and results of op amp rolling. Thus I'll post them here.
Philosophy.
It does not matter how many times it was said or written, people still think that getting HQ is possible only from costly units. Gear is very important, especially for good headphones, especially high impedance ones (250 Ohm and above). But the result highly depends both on components quality and electrical/electronic design. Amplifier in mention has a simple, robust and smart design, so SQ mostly depend on components. Valve/tube is used as a buffer for inverse op amp connection where the buffer actually is a dynamic closed link which defines a big “cut” of SQ pie. But it also means that rolling op amp may improve or damage SQ. And – more rarely dynamic electrical connection between valve and op amp is unbiased giving sound artifacts and/or additional noises.
The other side of the mirror is more complicated. SQ is flexible. Some elements like details, resolution, wide soundstage always count. Many other elements, especially quantity of bass and treble as a control over them are subjective. So I’ll mention only undeniable improvements.

Rolling tubes.
Before anything else please understand that 6ж9п valve have many direct analogues and highly compatible ones also. Due to fabrication processes and materials they are not identical, so the devil hides in details. But first of all here is a list of all references, especially if you will look for them at eBay:
6ж9п, 6j9p, 6g9p, 6zh9p, 6ж9п-Е, 6j9p-e, 6g9p-e, 6zh9p-e, 5A/170K, 6688, 6688A, CV3998, CV6189, E180F
Adding suffix letter usually means long life version of tube, also with refined specs.
Since I wanted to keep “playing” with this amp for some time, I tried some, definitely good options, but will continue testing after finding valves at reasonable prices.

At the moment I checked just 3 of them, but all - very good ones:
- General Electric 6688, US

- RCA 6688A (made by Mullard)
- Amperex JEP-6688, CША

If you want studio-type sound you need GE. Detalization, resolution, separation of instruments, soundstage – exceptional. BUT! They do have bass extension w/o good punch and density. It does not mean that you will get problems with lows, since they are fully controlled. Just not too much. So this valve is not for bass heads.
RCA and Amperex JEP are very similar. Just a little bit less of “open air” but much more prominent lows. Overall control is equal, punch and density. With one small detail – Amperex offers even bass density up to the lowest extension, while RCA offers less “body” at low-low bass. But once again, it will be important only for a hardcore bass head. Also RCA has lesser depth (not width) of soundstage, but you will need very good open cans to capture that. That’s why I am using Amperex JEP.
A bit later I’ll try “normal” Amperex, comparing with JEP version and RCA’s once again.

Op amp rolling.
Fooling with operational amplifiers is not so popular, since most amplifiers have them soldered.

Our amplifier comes with DIP8 chips package and beds, so you can exchange them easily. But beware, you need electrical compatibility. That is why not all op amps in DIP8 package will fit (electrically). Also you must read corresponding threads since op amps are not equal. Many provide sound coloration. I prefer neutral sound without rolled-off higs and lows, so my list of candidates (considering prices and packaging) was quite short. I made it after harvesting forums in different languages. Take into account, that I am giving description how they sounded with my favorite tubes, but please believe me, my opinion virtually coincided with other people impressions from other amplifiers and sound cards.

First of all, the factory installed NE5532 are old as mammoth ****, but in a well designed amplifier they offer very good balanced sound. Just a slight roll-off in treble and a little softness of treble too. Talking about preferences it makes NE5532 a perfect choice for many-many people, especially if they are sensitive to highs. It should be clear: a bright track in bright hp’s will sound bright, but not killing your ears.

AD823ANZ is old also, but still very popular. Their sound character is not for my needs, but I can hear it w/o any hesitation. The sound reminds a magnetic tape, in a good sense. Sound is calm and clear, light in mids. Good bass control, some punch. Not much of body in lows, resembling magnetic tape sound even more. Slightly harsh treble, but only for high treble, so you’ll need special tracks and hp’s to hear that. The greatest negative for me (also reminding tape sound) is decent, but much narrower soundstage, compared to 5532. Only a hint of depth. It was noticeable even in fine closed cans, not only in a HiFi open ones.

LME49720NA. Can’t say anything bad. As promised it offered incredible detalization, resolution and huge soundstage. Perfect control and balance everywhere. But this op amp has slightly different electric specs, so using it with my tubes caused little but clear “over” sound, like some derived noise, so I had to reject it. I was afraid it could happen, so I’ll try it with another tubes posting additional comments later. BTW – some people may call this sound a little bit clinical, which is not good for easy-going listening.

LT1364CN8. It has a love-or-hate comments, showing that electric design affects its selection. In our case it is love. Studio, balanced sound w/o any imperfections. Great resolution and bass control. Top notch, honest treble. So some tracks could become too bright for you. Soundstage – wow! On a verge of placebo, comparing with LME. Absolutely natural sound of live instruments and vocals. A tad less detalization compared to LME, but captured that because I knew what might happen. You will need very good cans and quite specific tracks to hear such a difference. And the most important – no bias problems with my tubes.

Beware! If you will choose "dark" op amp with bass-oriented tubes, the sound will float too far from being natural. Better find good bass heavy cans, keeping amp with balanced sound but extended lows. Combining op amp and tubes with rolled-off and "soft" treble also won't do any good.

Hi,

I followed this old post. I bought $70 worth of 6688A tubes thinking they are the correct ones. What is going on? I just received the Amperex 6688A tubes and they are 9 pin.
The Nobsound NS-08E is 7 pin tubed. Hitting my head on the wall now, got tubes and can’t use them.

Did Nobsound NS-08e change from 9pin to 7pin? Is this where I screwed up? Ugh... :frowning2:

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #343 of 388
Hello,

I'm forecasting to buy this little amps and to change the tubes. I'd like to use it with a Kennerton Vali and a Meze 99 Classics combined with an Ibasso DX160. Do you think it is worth a try ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #344 of 388
I've been experimenting with both versions of the amp. So far I've found a fully compatible tube that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The 6J49P is an improved version of the 6J9P. It's also available in E, D, DR and DRY variants from the Reflector and Ryazan factories. The 6J49P is a B9A socket tube and will only work in the 6J9 version.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #345 of 388
I've been enjoying my Nobsound NS-08E for a couple of years now. I have some GE 6J4 tubes in place of the originals and I swapped out the original Op-amps for some LM4562's. Outstanding sounding amp for the price. I had some High Current Output Low Distortion Dual Op-amps I got for my disc player but haven't gotten around to using them so I thought why not try them in my "Nobby"? The result? Niiice :dt880smile: Subjectively speaking they give more depth, definition and a bit better dynamics. It's impossible to do a quick A-B comparison but I've been listening with the LM4562's in there for a couple of years and I do like the discrete Op-amps a bit better. For about $16 bucks I recommend them. I have no idea whether they're better than something like the Burson discrete Op-amps but IMO they're better than the LM4562's which in turn are better than the stock Op-amps. The only bummer is having to wait around four weeks or so to get them. I call it a nice plug in upgrade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back