Nobody talks about the new eXpaniums here...?
Dec 19, 2001 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
I just found out today that there are so many eXpanium models by now! Has anyone bought the newer ones? Are they good?

OTOH the 201 is still the only Philips MP3 CD player I've seen
confused.gif

I suppose Philips stuff appear in Europe first, just like Sony and Panasonic stuff appear in Asia first?

(Oh, and yeah, all those new discus-shaped pcdps eg D-EJ990, D-EJ1000, SLCT590, 790 are flying everywhere around the markets here
biggrin.gif
I don't suppose anyone here has heard those--should I be the guinea pig?
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 25, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 6
The Rio Volt SP250 seems to be much better than any of the Expaniums. The Expaniums don't seem to have better sound or more features, so there's really no compelling reason to buy them. I jog with my MD player, not my MP3CD player, so anti-skip is not a factor for me.

Also, the EXP503 has at least one very annoying bug. If a song comes after a song with a longer name, part of the longer song name will be appended to the shorter song name. For example, the following sequence can occur:

- 'Breathe' plays; 'Breathe' appears as the song title
- 'Time' by Pink Floyd plays; 'Timethe' ('Time' + 'the') appears as the song title

You can read the original Usenet review for more info.

Some of the Expanium models have AAC support, which should be interesting, because a well-tuned AAC encoder can produce better sounding files than even the best MP3 encoder.

Dec 27, 2001 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Will somebody please test the AAC quality on these things?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back