Noble Seattle, WA Tour
Aug 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #31 of 70

There is a lot of stuff packed into this kit for a great demo experience. You will notice that I included my NT6pros in the middle for those of you that have traditional larger CIEMs to see the size difference. Here is a closeup:

I didnt know that the noble CIEM were way smaller than other traditional CIEMS.

Nice photos by the way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they do that on the demo's so they can fit everyone's ear who wants to hear them. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #32 of 70

There is a lot of stuff packed into this kit for a great demo experience. You will notice that I included my NT6pros in the middle for those of you that have traditional larger CIEMs to see the size difference. Here is a closeup:

I didnt know that the noble CIEM were way smaller than other traditional CIEMS.

Nice photos by the way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they do that on the demo's so they can fit everyone's ear who wants to hear them. 

That is a good point and being a custom you can probably ask for whatever you like. However, the size was consistent across the universals. Looking at the beautiful photos that Noble posts for clues, it is hard to tell without some known item beside it providing prospective, but they do appear on the small size compared to my NT6pro.

Remember, this is just an observation and not a judgement of good or bad because there are values in both sizes.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #34 of 70
The size of the demos in no way reflect what the size of a Noble CIEM built for you would be. In some respects the demos indicate how small we can build a set of 8C or K10 if you have small ears, but the size of your CIEM is directly related to the size of your ears and not the size of the demos.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #35 of 70
The size of the demos in no way reflect what the size of a Noble CIEM built for you would be. In some respects the demos indicate how small we can build a set of 8C or K10 if you have small ears, but the size of your CIEM is directly related to the size of your ears and not the size of the demos.

It must be hard to put 10 drivers in an IEM that small though.

If I wanted mine to be on the smaller side would you be able to do it?

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #36 of 70
It must be hard to put 10 drivers in an IEM that small though.

If I wanted mine to be on the smaller side would you be able to do it?

It is difficult, no doubt. Regarding the size of your CIEM, it really is dependent on the size of your ear and we would build you a "full shell" product that fills the ear even if there was excess space inside.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #37 of 70
It is difficult, no doubt. Regarding the size of your CIEM, it really is dependent on the size of your ear and we would build you a "full shell" product that fills the ear even if there was excess space inside.

I see, well I hope my ears aren't too huge so they can come out not too big.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #38 of 70
Mmk, I received the Noble Audio touring unit + Chord Hugo today from barra.
There is a loooot of stuff packed into this touring demo set, so I want to give a huge thank you to Brannan and Noble Audio for allowing me to participate.

^ top-row: Noble Audio information brochures and stickers, lots of universal eartips (silicone and foam-based)/Noble Audio silicone bands/eartip cleaning tools
middle-row: Noble Audio universal and custom in-ear monitor lineup
bottom-row: Chord Hugo and various cables including a Toslink cable and an iDevice Lightning-USB adaptor

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #39 of 70
Boy, having several days to play around with top shelf audio equipment has been a real treat. It was very difficult to pass the torch to miceblue today - letting go is hard to do. 
frown.gif

I am tightening up my listening notes and will post them soon. Each demo sounded wonderful and I would love to have any or all of them. There are a variety of signatures, with somewhat of a house sound that is apparent in most of them, and I mean that in a good way. However, as they say in the Highlander, "In the end, there could only be one" - or my marriage would be in real trouble. So I am doing a process of elimination as well as an ordering of my favorite to my least favorite. The trouble is that this make it sound as if some are not good, but I can assure you that even my least favorite demo makes my TF10s, Coppers, and W3s sound like child's toys in comparison. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #40 of 70
I wanted to thank Brannan from Noble Audio for making this tour possible. It is a unique opportunity in the Great Northwest where our auditioning portable audio options are not that great. We all look forward to meeting him in person during the next Seattle Head-Fi event.

Barra's Noble Audio Demo Lineup Review

So to the heart of my findings – the whole lineup sounds awesome and are all obviously TOTL CIEMs. The worse of the bunch - if there is such a thing - made my other IEMs sound like kids toys. As with all CIEMs that reach this level, it is not really about which CIEM is better as much as which one matches your preferred signature the best. To Noble Audio’s credit, they achieved a number of different signatures that reach TOTL CIEM levels. The two that left the best impressions with me in the end were the K10 and the 6. Here is my review and how I got there.

Choosing One:
I cannot buy them all without causing marital issues, so I had to find a way to prioritize to determine purchase candidates. With 8 to choose from, I had my work cut out for me. So I focused on these three goals, in this order:
  • Complementary Signature: I am looking for a CIEM to back up my NT6pro that is my only current portable option. However, I want to have variety in signatures to provide change as desired. Given that my NT6pro is a technical badass, I decided that my goal is to find something with a more fun signature that will sound good even with bad recordings or sources. Given the NT6pro’s colder leanings, I am looking for something a little warmer.
  • Top Sound Quality: If it doesn’t sound good enough to want to listen to it verses the NT6pro, it would be a waste of money getting no ear time. In addition, it has to have my preferred signature providing on stage intimacy, full sized performance, and great texturing and detail performance that I can feel.
  • Value: The price has to make sense in comparison to its performance. This is the toughest part as the NT6pro is already a value play at $1250 with top tier performance.

While some of the critique below can be construed as negative, I want to assure everyone that these are all outstanding sounding demos and it is not meant to imply an issue. There is not one that I would not like to have for myself. However, in making a choice from such a vast lineup, it is important to nit pic a bit to prioritize the choices and provide readers with some insight in case they do not have the same auditioning opportunity.

Demo Fit/Seal:
My whole reason for turning to customs was to alleviate my issue with getting a seal on any universal IEM and it continues to plague me in auditions. My current CIEMs, the Hidition NT6pro has a musicians fit as well as a larger body which combined into a custom fit provide me with a perfect seal so I am very spoiled and particular. To get the best seal possible, I look for demos with a long stem and a large body that I can press against my ears to produce a stable seal manually. Unfortunately, the Noble demos have a smaller body and stem so this typical technique doesn’t work. My second technique is to use my personal favorite tips (loose mushroom silicone), press in forcibly with my forefinger, and pinch the bottom of my ear between my thumb and middle finger to pull my ear tight around the body of the demo. Obviously, this makes for a variable and unstable seal that only gives me glimpses of the demo’s capabilities.

After 4 days of working on seal, I finally managed to consistently get a reliable seal with each of the demos. I found that the mushroom tips worked best and that I was pushing in too far losing the seal. So I started slowly on the out edge of the seal and slowing pushed until I could feel a seal, and then pulled back a little to get a little vacuum to hold it in place. I also found that I could get a better seal if I didn’t push the tip all the way down which effectively lengthen the insertion.

I will do my best to point out any area that I suspect may be caused by my fit issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Warnings to Other Reviewers:
  • Identification: Unless I am missing it somehow, some of the demos are only properly labeled on the bag that they come in, not on the demos themselves - so it is easy to lose track of what is what. Do not put them into a pile without marking them.
  • Efficiency: These demos vary wildly in efficiency so plugging into the HUGO's two 3.5 HP outputs at the same time, one may be painfully loud with then next requiring more volume – be careful.
--------------------------------------------------------------

First Visual Impressions:
Wow, these are the nicest looking demos that I have ever seen, but boy are they tiny. On the HUGO below, my white NT6pro is huge in comparison to the small gold K10 next to it. 

Auditioning Technique:
I started at the K10 and worked my way down, taking advantage of the HUGO’s two 3.5 ports to A/B with the next demo down the list. This gave me a way to compare the various characteristics to identify fit issues vs. quality differences. I played through my list of audiophile samples that I am very familiar with. I also compared using my HD700, LCD2.2, and NT6pros to make sure that I am not auditioning the HUGO vs. the demos. To back up my findings, I then compared them using my X5 that I know very well and would likely be their companion if purchased. By the end of the week, I was very comfortable with my findings with each.

Listening Impressions (Ordered by best sounding down):
  1. K10 ($1599 plus): Regardless of the seal issue, I could tell that this is a fantastic CIEM and it is on my short list.
    1. Signature: Balanced signature, north of neutral, rich and musical, thicker note.
    2. SQ: Obviously TOTL CIEM range, very musical and smooth, none fatiguing, natural sounding timbre
    3. Clarity/Detail: More musical and smooth that an analytical detail monster. However, I don’t feel like I am missing anything. I feel the singer’s passion rather than hear his clothes rustle or chair squeak.
    4. Soundstage: First few rows, not on stage. Typical narrow CIEM soundstage, deeper than wide.
    5. Bass: Warmer but not overwhelming. Not good enough seal to discuss sub extension, but it feels like it is there when I occasionally find a seal.
    6. Mids: Rich mids, but not forward.
    7. Treble: Elevated treble, possibly due to fit issues, but smooth and not too much. Gets the Cymbals correct.
    8. A/B 8C: Going back and forth, my focus was the treble that sounded much better and smoother on the K10, the second thing I noticed is the bass being more fun on the 8C even being less defined. I also liked the forward mids on the 8C. Although it sounds from this description that I preferred the 8C, I liked the K10 better in all cases except rock/metal. Listening to Disturbed playing Pain Redefined, the 8C was better.
  2. 8C ($1299 plus):
    1. Signature: Warm signature, rich and musical, very thick note, with focus on vocals.
    2. SQ: TOTL CIEM range, very musical and smooth, none fatiguing
    3. Clarity/Detail: More musical and smooth that an analytical detail monster. I felt like I was missing details in comparison to the K10, but didn’t care because I was enjoying the voice presentation.
    4. Soundstage: This is a forward presentation like I typically like it, putting you in the middle of the action. Typical CIEM soundstage, but wider than deep due to the forward mids.
    5. Bass: This CIEM is about the fullness of the bass making it a very fun listening experience. However, I felt that the K10 had more bass quality and character with a little less bass. What makes this seem more bassy than the K10 is perhaps its forward nature so it is more in your face than spread out. Not good enough seal to discuss sub extension, but it feels like it is there when I occasionally find a seal.
    6. Mids: Rich mids, forward and thick for great vocal character.
    7. Treble: More tinny treble than I like, some sibilance, however, this could be due to fit issues.
    8. A/B 6: Going back and forth, I felt like the 6 has a warmer, thicker, and much more forwad signature overall giving me very nice textures across the board. However, in doing so, I felt that the 6 gave up a bit of its clarity and soundstage to do so. I did find the 6 to be a very fun signature that I enjoyed very much, but I wondered if I could listen to it across genres as I could with the K10 or even the 8c. There were times that the thickness was overwhelming where this was never the case with the 8c.
  3. 6 ($999 universal only): In this case, I got a reasonable seal where I could remove my hands and listen naturally. This is the most fun signature yet, but may not be good across all genres and sources. If there was a custom version, it would be on my short list as well given the extremely fun signature. When it worked well with the song, this was definitely my favorite in the lineup, but sound quality was inconsistent.
    1. Signature: Warm forward signature, rich and musical, thicker, highly textured note.
    2. SQ: TOTL CIEM range, very musical and smooth, none fatiguing, very thick and textured note.
    3. Clarity/Detail: While musical and smooth, it was sometimes at the expense of the finer details. The details are still there and sometimes with stunning clarity, but the focus is on thick textures rather than the fine details.
    4. Soundstage: On stage next to the singer. The sound stage is smaller because of this, but not missed given the excitement in the presentation.
    5. Bass: Warmer and sometimes overwhelming. This is a fun bass, but doesn’t have the quality of the K10 or 8c.
    6. Mids: Rich forward mids.
    7. Treble: Elevated treble to balance the warmness, but done very nicely.
    8. A/B FR: The FR is a very different signature with not much to compare. While the FR sounded nice, it was not my style and I much preferred the 6.
  4. 5 ($650 universal/$950 custom): The 5 has a very fun K10 like signature. While the K10 is a little more liquid and refined, the 5 is not far behind. It is a little dryer sounding, but has the deep and strong bass characteristic in the K10. For a little compromise, the 5 allows you to get the K10 at a significant discount. However, it is the liquid quality that contrasts the K10 from my dryer NT6pro so this really isn’t an option for me.
  5. FR ($699 universal only): The FR has a switch that allows it to change to two signatures. However, IMO it sounds like the switch simply turns the bass on and off. Off, the bass is unacceptable, on the bass sounds great. So the switch is effectively is a waste for me given that I would never use it. While it sounds great with the bass turned on, it didn’t feel comparable to the other options in the lineup in that price range. If I was looking for a universal option, the 5 has a similar signature, but greater sound quality for $50 less.
  6. 4 ($450 universal/$699 custom): The 4 continued with the TOTL CIEM sound quality that was apparent throughout the lineup, but was too bass light for my tastes. It still sounds really good with full size mids and outstanding clarity through the treble. But the missing bass translated to missing texture which is an important quality to me, much more than most people. This signature would be considered brighter, but quality and full size sounding.
  7. 3 ($350 universal/$450 custom): This was the first to depart from the Noble house sound with a typical v shaped signature often associated with lower end IEMs. Don’t get me wrong, they still blow away my TF10s and my Coppers with a v shaped signature that I am dumping. However, it is not the signature that I am looking for.
  8. PR($699 universal only): Like the FR, the PR has a switch that allows it to change to two signatures. However, IMO it sounds like the switch simply turns the treble on and off. Off, the treble is unacceptable, on the treble sounds fine. So again, the switch is effectively is a waste for me given that I would never use it. While it sounds great with the treble turned on, it didn’t feel comparable to the other options in the lineup in that price range. Compared to the FR, the bass was lighter so I much preferred the FR since the two are in the same class. If I was looking universal and wanted less bass, I would go for the 4 at a significant discount.

Conclusions:
They all sounded fantastic, but in the end, there can only be one. So I have to use a process of elimination in determining what to purchase as funds become available. The list above has been ordered by how much I liked each one so that makes it easy to eliminate the PR, 3, 4, and FR. Secondly, I will only buy custom fit options at this point, so as much as I liked the 6, it is off my list. That is unfortunate as I really liked the 6, it sounded really big and fun even compared to the K10. The next to go would be the 5 given that it is the liquid sound of the K10 that differentiates it from my NT6pro. This leaves the 8 and the 10. The 8 does have much of the K10’s liquid sound with a touch more warmth which is fun. It is also a little cheaper, but at that price point, $300 is not much more to add the K10’s superior treble and the additional liquid sound. Decisions?!?

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #42 of 70
Nice post Barra! Thanks.

It just adds to my anticipation.

The time went by way too fast and I am currently going through both withdrawals, and separation anxiety. You are lucky to have some dedicated time with your son to dedicate to listening as my pesky work projects kept getting in the way and spoiling the fun and my focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back