No T-n-T'ers in my 'hood... -_-'
Nov 1, 2006 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
There are no trick-or-treaters going around my neighborhood.... T_T

I guess it's too cold.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 29
Yeah, even here in sunny Southern California, we had an unusually light turnout of kids. We just shut the lights off a few minutes ago.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
There are no trick-or-treaters going around my neighborhood.... T_T

I guess it's too cold.

serious? in all i think we got about 20 kids at our door

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 29
Our street is little kid infested. We ran out well before an hour was over, so we just handed out prescription pills.
blink.gif

In all seriousness, in Arizona here, there were lots of kids, approx 100. Irrelevant, but I hate to see the kids your age come to the door Trick-or-Treating looking for candy, so I went ahead and gave them all Tootsie Rolls. If you Trick or Treat and are 17 years old, you get the crap candy. Maybe this will learn them.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by litlharsh
If you Trick or Treat and are 17 years old, you get the crap candy.

You sir, are an evil person.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 29
it was all over by 8:20, and it was like 11 degrees out. I don't get it, by far the most sparsely attended halloween in my neighbourhood since I moved here 6 years ago.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Our street is little kid infested. We ran out well before an hour was over, so we just handed out prescription pills.
blink.gif

In all seriousness, in Arizona here, there were lots of kids, approx 100. Irrelevant, but I hate to see the kids your age come to the door Trick-or-Treating looking for candy, so I went ahead and gave them all Tootsie Rolls. If you Trick or Treat and are 17 years old, you get the crap candy. Maybe this will learn them.

I just came back from a fruitful trick or treating evening, and I'm 19. I've been trick or treating every year since I can remember, except last year, because I had an Econ midterm to write.

I see no problem in going trick or treating, from ages 0-death. Halloween is like any other holiday: totally arbitrary and for fun. Plus, I put effort in dressing up, so why not give me candy? It's not like I decided to come in my everyday clothes and ask for money
tongue.gif
. I see nothing wrong with it
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub
I just came back from a fruitful trick or treating evening, and I'm 19. I've been trick or treating every year since I can remember, except last year, because I had an Econ midterm to write.

I see no problem in going trick or treating, from ages 0-death. Halloween is like any other holiday: totally arbitrary and for fun. Plus, I put effort in dressing up, so why not give me candy? It's not like I decided to come in my everyday clothes and ask for money
tongue.gif
. I see nothing wrong with it
wink.gif

If you put forth effort, sure. If you come with a group, sure, you're just dicking around, having fun. If you come with a sheet on your head, then that's where I draw the line. Tootsie Roll for you.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 29
This year saw a resurgeance in trick or treating for my town. It helps that this is a rare snow-free Halloween (although it did rain all night).

I'd really like to be able to go back to making candied apples, fudge, & peanut brittle.... but our society has become far too paranoid to allow anything but individually hermetically sealed store candies. Where is the joy in buying and opening a bag of tiny boxes of Milk Duds?

I also find it a total trip to visit our local Chinese restaurant, whose staff (the cooks & waitresses, not the owners) is constantly revolving and getting noobs from a country that has nothing even remotely similar to Halloween. They did however have a large number of mini Hershey bars mixed into the tip jar.

Also "Boo!" happens to sound exactly like "Bu!" (or "No!").

Ah, what they must think of native* Americans.
(You know what I mean).
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

If you put forth effort, sure. If you come with a group, sure, you're just dicking around, having fun. If you come with a sheet on your head, then that's where I draw the line. Tootsie Roll for you.

Totally agree with you there. I was surprised this year, I got no bizarre stares from parents...most of them seemed to like our costumes and that we were running around the streets like little kids
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

If you come with a sheet on your head, then that's where I draw the line. Tootsie Roll for you.

I've really stopped putting any major effort into costumes. I'd worn a hooded cape & skull mask for the last few years with street clothes. Since I'm now in the "giving candy" rather than "recieving candy" age group, I feel I should not be the ones having to make an effort. This year I bought a cheap red monster mask that came pre-attached to its own "hood". I left my usual costume at someones house while shooting a no-budget indy movie.

I also think the cowl & skull mask is awesome because.....
*Provides anonimity.
*Cape w/cowl adds mysteriousness
*"skull" universally recognized.
*leaves mouth exposed (this mask doesn't have the jaw area) for eating/drinking/smoking/talking
*Allows for street clothes (again... usually snowy here)
*Is of classically "scary" subject.

I'm a traditionalist, I think Halloween costumes should be of a macabre nature. Child with $5 red devil mask gets 2x the candy as child with limited edition $300 Disney princess costume.

On a side note......
I now know far too many real life Wiccans that the typical green witch costume is beginning to make me feel kinda uneasy. Its not quite "priest with Playgirl magazine" costume uneasy.... but its getting there.

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 29
There has always been very few trick-or-treaters around my neighborhood. Must be the hills. The numbers have been going down each year as well. Woohoo, I get to eat the leftover candy that I sort of knew would be mine anyways.

Word on the street is that the kids go to a nearby neighborhood with more expensive homes, not the 800k dollar 2br homes built a hundred years ago that you can find around here :p. I think Robin Williams has a house there. His ppl gave out glow-sticks or something one year.

Nov 1, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 29
I finally got something like a dozen kids... over the span of the entire evening. Sad. I still have 75% of my candy box left.

I LOVE chocolate...but I can't eat it because then I'll get fat. But it's SOOOO good!

Nov 1, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 29
Zero trick or treaters in this country. And it's a shame, since we do kinda sorta a little bit have Halloween here. Had they come to our door, they would have gotten the good stuff. Mom sent candy from the US that they don't have here. Reeses peanut butter pumpkins, and cups, and peices, the big huge assorted Hershey's bag. Hawesome, and all ours.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #15 of 29
We got almost 200 kids between 5:30 and 7:30. I had to put a sign up on my door that we were out, and turn the porch light off.

And I STILL got at least 20 more kids come to the door after that.

It's never been this busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back