No standalone digital sources exist besides PCs?
Aug 23, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punslayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking for a CD deck with digital out, but had a hell of a time finding even an optical out on anything. Including some of the upper-mid range Denon, Onkyo and Sony models. On the other hand, even $30 DVD players almost always come with both optical and coaxial outs. It's a goofy market sometimes.

I don't really get involved too much in conspiracy theories, but for a long time I believed that the manufacturers had dropped digital outs from most CD players and other audio gear to appease the recording industry. These days I lean more to the idea that the vast majority of consumers don't care, so the manufacturers save themselves a few pennies worth on components.

My earlier suspicions are also allayed by what you pointed out about the inclusion of digital outs on even cheap DVDs. I've noticed this too: even third-tier brands like Coby include digital outs on their DVDs. My only thought is that DVD players are likely to be connected to HT receivers, which usually have digital ins.

When iRiver was selling out their remaining inventory on the SlimX 550, you could buy one (sans headphones and accessories) new for $30. I kept telling myself to buy, like, five of them. So of course I never got around to it and now they are long gone, and often command stiff prices on eBay. I could kick myself.

Quote:

As far as mini systems go, i do like the Onkyo's a lot. They have a really nice footprint and are pretty audio-centered. Interestingly, they're hard-disk mini systems record in ATraC (although not lossless) in addition to MP3.

Yeah, the system you linked to looked pretty sweet. I really have no need for that particular form factor, though. I work at home, which means I don't need an office system, and my apartment is so small that my main system is more than adaquate for the entire space. I want one anyway.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 24
LOL! My wife and I were kicking around the exact same question -- a listening nook built around an easy chair and a small table -- as we drove from Philly up to North Jersey tonight, and we settled on the following (having just taken delivery of the Head-Direct EF1 hybrid SS/tube amp and having ordered some decent tubes; the EF1 qualifies as a small easy chair HP amp with superior SQ for sure) --

(1) iMod with ALO Line Out (we already have this, it is our gym set-up) + mini-to-2xRCA gold cable from rat shack (already have) into the EF1 for tonight, then upgrade to:

(2) Wadia 170i iPod dock, using the analog output passthru from the iPod to start (cabling via standard RCA into the EF1) while looking for a small audiophile-quality S/PDIF-only DAC ... plus an iPod. (Need to buy all this).

And then right here on head-fi is the same question and answer (amazing -- I love this place)!

I think the advice to wait until Sept. might be very good advice indeed ... I might take it, or contact Wadia to see what their adaptation plans might be.

Wadia tech support is superb and responsive ... this is from personal experience.

Even funnier than Ann Arbor, where I used to work ... I lived in Saline Michigan, but this was before Wadia-time.

So elegant -- use an iPod to store everything, set up your playlists, anywhere, anytime. Use the mothership computer to put music on it. Then when mellow time (or Miller time) comes around, dock the iPod in the Wadia, fire up the DAC and the EF1, let the 12AU7 warm up while you pour the merlot or open the longnecks, hit the remote on the gas fireplace, plug in the 701s or 880/600's and nestle into that easy chair. Control it all from the Wadia remote (except the EF1 volume).

Ahhhh.

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #19 of 24
My easy chair setup has a Squeezebox feeding a Lavry DA10 which is the input source to either a KGSS or STM-T1S for my SR-007MkII or SR-404. I have a switcher to switch the output of the Lavry into either of the amps. This is a nice setup. The Squeezebox having remote control allows me to choose what I want to listen too without having to handle a iPod. I use FLAC files from my computer over wireless into my Squeezebox. I can have listening sessions at either my easy chair or my computer where my second Lavry into my Yamamoto and UE9 are located using JRiver Media as my media player. Technically one can have multiple Squeezeboxes being feed by one computer.

I hope I did not misunderstand the meaning of standalone digital source in thinking of my Squeezebox. If you look at the design of a Wadia it is a standalone computer setup itself with a CD player essentially. Looking at the back of one recently it look just like a computer with it's vertical planes for boards to be installed.

P1010028.jpg

StaxEasyChairsetup01.jpg

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really get involved too much in conspiracy theories, but for a long time I believed that the manufacturers had dropped digital outs from most CD players and other audio gear to appease the recording industry. These days I lean more to the idea that the vast majority of consumers don't care, so the manufacturers save themselves a few pennies worth on components.

My earlier suspicions are also allayed by what you pointed out about the inclusion of digital outs on even cheap DVDs. I've noticed this too: even third-tier brands like Coby include digital outs on their DVDs. My only thought is that DVD players are likely to be connected to HT receivers, which usually have digital ins.

Yeah, the system you linked to looked pretty sweet. I really have no need for that particular form factor, though. I work at home, which means I don't need an office system, and my apartment is so small that my main system is more than adaquate for the entire space. I want one anyway.
evil_smiley.gif

That was the conclusion that i came to as well, it's also the reason i think we won't be seeing digital outs on DAPs, only on PMPs. It doesn't bother me that much, but it can make finding the features you want a bit of a task.

What i really don't need, but want anyway is one of the little JVC mini systems with the wood-cone speakers. I may have to get one of the DIY speaker kits just cause i think they're too cool for school.

topimg.jpg

Aug 24, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...my second Lavry into my Yamamoto and UE9 are located ...

Is that one of those MapleShade softy things I spy keeping the amp nicely on top of the DAC?

How's that working out?

Who built the silver switcher? And while we're off topic, how does the Gilmore compare to genuine Stax amp? My guess is one is better for the 404 and the other for the 007 ... open vs closed, yes? ... based on the hours I spent at Stax during CanJam. Would love to know. You must have both for a reason.

Back on topic:

I agree with you: wireless from the mothership computer to SB does indeed beat iPod + Wadia unless you already have the iPod or need it to travel too. I may stick with the Wadia ... the remote control is all I need so I don't have to fuss with the iPod while docked. But for many people I see that your idea is better than mine.

Finally: when you decide to sell everything in both photos in one big sale, send me a PM before FS'ing, OK? I'll drive down with cash from Jersey, no PayPal needed. My plan will be to rob a bank in Maryland (they won't miss the money). Unless you discount heavily.

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

That was the conclusion that i came to as well, it's also the reason i think we won't be seeing digital outs on DAPs, only on PMPs. It doesn't bother me that much, but it can make finding the features you want a bit of a task.

To say the least. What I want, basically, is something just like my RH1, but with a digital out, or at least a dedicated lineout (rather than the RH1's lineout "mode"). But I've found nothing that matches that description, or at least nothing that is currently in production.

Quote:

I may have to get one of the DIY speaker kits just cause i think they're too cool for school.

topimg.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Is that the kit that AudioCubes sells? I was wondering if you could mod that kit by substituting high end drivers -- maybe even Lowthers. Full range speakers are so simple, because obviously you don't need a crossover. I wonder if you could just use different cones from the ones that come with the kit. I have no idea if full range drivers come in standard sizes that would be compatible with a cabinet like this one.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I also think another big reason that you see digital outs on even the cheapest of DVD Players is because (virtually) every DVD produced is using dolby digital surround sound and thus the only way to get 5.1 surround out of the DVD player and into a receiver is via digital out. Since music is not 5.1, the use for digital output is much less and thus they probably choose not to impelment it for cost reasons.

What I don't get is that with progressing technology it should be cheaper now to include optical out than it used to- yet they used to put optical out on old players (see iRiver's HD player, slimX, the really old sony discmans, etc) yet you never see it now.

The Cowon Q5 (or alternatively Archos 5) looks like another promising option. A little spendy but it could possibly be a very elegant solution with its nice large screen. A well-designed UI would make listening via that device a real pleasure. Maybe I've been sucked in to the Apple product line, but Apple really needs to make a mega-iPod like a Q5. Who knows it may not be that out of line... a digital internet device with a better (bigger) screen than the iPod Touch... people have been spreading rumors of an apple tablet for so long now, it has to happen one of these days!

The question now also becomes... whether or not to cop out and buy a lower end analog system now, or spend big bucks on a digital-capable system but use a simple analog source with it until such time that a worthy digital source solution presents itself- or at least I have saved enough money to get one.

Ruahrc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back