No sound using mini-Toslink output on MacBook. Help!
Jan 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

ZenErik

1000+ Head-Fier
I just received my Oritek OMZ DAC and thought it did not work until someone suggested I try it with a standalone CD player. SUCCESS. However, there's still an issue because I planned to use my MacBook as the source. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 35
Plug in the mini toslink cable into the mac, then look for light at hte other end of the cable. If you see the light, then check audio midi settings, and make sure it's set to a rate the OMZ can handle. If there's no light, get a new cable.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plug in the mini toslink cable into the mac, then look for light at hte other end of the cable. If you see the light, then check audio midi settings, and make sure it's set to a rate the OMZ can handle. If there's no light, get a new cable.

Ori told me that the 4.1 can only handle a digital input up to 48 kHz, and my MacBook output is set on 44.1 kHz.

There is light in the cable.

Also, there's a red light inside the DAC that turns on when an input signal is received, I think. It was on when I had the DAC hooked up to the standalone CD player. It is also on when I try to use my Presonus Firebox and coax out from that into the DAC. However, there is still no sound through the Firebox. That light does not come on when using the mini-Toslink from my MacBook.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the switch on the back of the omz set to optical in?

I'm not totally brain dead. Just partially. I would also like to note that my surround sound receiver doesn't pick up a signal from the MacBook either. It's either an issue with my MacBook or the mini-Toslink adaptor. I used Toslink cables that normally work just fine. The red light is passing through the cable from my MacBook, but I guess that doesn't always mean anything.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 35
No offense intended. I'm the kind of guy who would have missed the switch. I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. You have a great setup. If it were me I'd either order a new mini toslink cable on amazon for about $5 and ship it overnight or I'd run to radioshack in the morning. Hope you figure it out soon.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 35
I have an appointment at the Apple store after work tomorrow. Maybe they can figure something out.

I set my MacBook's digital output to 44.1/16 and still neither my receiver or OMZ picked it up.

I think my Firebox only outputs at 24 bits. Could be why I got a signal but no sound when I output from the Firebox's coax output into the OMZ. I tried it with the receiver too and got nothing. Should a cheap Kenwood receiver that's probably 6+ years old be able to accept a 24-bit signal?

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 35
Breakthrough. I got sound VIA coaxial through the DAC + Firebox.

The downside: I don't have a headphone amp yet (besides the Firebox). Waiting on that WooAudio 6. If I go from the Firebox to DAC I have no headphone amp. Unless I output from the Firebox to the OMZ and back to the Firebox? Seems like a bad idea.
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OMZ is well known for having trouble locking to digital signals. Try turning it off and on a few times.

Forget that!
No such issue from v4.1 on, which is over a year now. The current v4.2 is playing 176.4/24 HRx (without the proprietary HDCD decode, oh well...) and 192/24 +/-.
I've used an external word clock to vary the sample freq of a certain source gear. The pitch changes which is funny, but no drama!

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 35
I was going to mention that I hadn't heard or read of any such problems (locking to digital signal) in at least the last year. I've never had even a hint of that kind of problem with my OMZ v4.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back