No sound from MDR SA-5000
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Prenxta

New Head-Fier
Greetings. I have lurked here for a few years now and amassed a new life in audio from head-fi. My favorite pair of headphones has suddenly lost all sound in the left driver. I had checked my source, the 1/4 inch plug and the wires leading into the housing. I have babied these with the greatest of care for two years. They have about 600 hours on them at the most. I am interested in opening the housing, but would like to know if anyone has an idea as to what would be the appropriate way to do so. I intend to fix with the greatest of care.
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's been a long time so i might be a little off.

remove the pads. there are 3 screws. unscrew those and it will open up.

Yup. I had the exact same problem with my left driver. I resoldered the connection. If you don't have a heatsink, pick up a copper clip at the electronics store, or at least carefully tape closed a pair of tweezers (or needlenose pliers if you're feeling dangerous) to the lead wire so you don't overheat the voicecoil.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 7
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the help. I don't want to cause trouble by posting pictures so I may have to remove these but they could illustrate something unexpected. I have not done anything after opening them and all of the soldering is solid. The red wire leading to the left driver will not extend as with the green wire leading to the right driver.
eek.gif

312-2.jpg

313-2.jpg

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Ahhh these pictures remind of my SA5000
smile_phones.gif

You simply need to recable them with a different cable - the stock one Sony uses is really poor quality as most people seem to have the same issue sooner or later. I had exactly the same problem as you have and the best solution is to use a better cable.

Off-topic: you wouldn't happen to know where I can spare SA5000 earpads for a fair price?

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Great, an excuse to make new cables. However I will change that ground from black to green.
smile.gif

And DJShadow, I checked with no results for them... however when I called Sony Style I was told they were available from their parts and accesories dep. Mine are going back on the headphones.
regular_smile .gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Well... I prepared some up-occ copper wire I had on hand for them.
icon10.gif
Just for the heck of it I tested both drivers right at the solder pads and to my dismay discovered wiring would be pointless as the left driver is shot.
frown.gif
Sniffle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back