No-Sound Cable Break-in? Possible?
Apr 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mozhoven

100+ Head-Fier
I've just made new set of speaker wires and interconnects and would like to break them in while I'm not around.

(to move things along). I can't leave the sound on all day, so is there a way to break in the cables without sound?

P.S. Just for grins, let's assume that this is a real phenomenon - at least for the duration of this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 12
I would have to assume the IC's would be working, as long as the source & amp are connected

I mean... does a pre-amp portion of an intergrate really "draw" that much power out of the source?
I know unpowered pre-amps do

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 12
Get yourself some white or pink noise wave files, play them on repeat. They are not too obtrusive, and don't carry far. If you can't have them on AT ALL, plug in headphones.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm also hoping to break in the speaker cables as well - will low-volume music/pink noise suffice?

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozhoven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also hoping to break in the speaker cables as well - will low-volume music/pink noise suffice?

Lower volume will work, as you're not breaking in speaker drivers specifically. You're still running a signal/current through them, but it may take longer before you notice an appreciable difference.

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wire up one in phase and one in reverse, have them face eachother closely, and covert both with some bed sheets but leave the space between the speaker clear of obstructions so that they can cancel eachother out.

Won't be noiseless, but your neighbors are unlikely to notice it either.

omg wont this burn in the speaker cable backwards though!?!?!

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Find a 60W lightbulb and the socket to go with it, they're readily available at any hardware store. Wire the speaker cables to the socket and adjust the volume until the lightbulb glows nicely. With the right music, you can even watch the bulbs flash in synch with the beat.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find a 60W lightbulb and the socket to go with it, they're readily available at any hardware store. Wire the speaker cables to the socket and adjust the volume until the lightbulb glows nicely. With the right music, you can even watch the bulbs flash in synch with the beat.

Now that'd be a rather fun way to burn-in the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back