No response from Focal re toxic Beryllium
Dec 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #46 of 139
^ i think this has already been covered

what is the conclusion then? it's just yes or no question if i'm not mistaken. is it safe? did focal already answer his email or perhaps any info on their website. otherwise there is really no point wasting 3 pages just to answer yes or no question

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #47 of 139
The idea of having such a dangerous substance in a headphone is mind boggling.

The tweeter in my Solo6 Be is in my recording studio, as I’ve mentioned before the monitors are not handled In this locked room.

Imagine leaving the Utipia in your living room and walking into the room to find your small child handling or even chewing on them.

You can say “it’s your responsibility to...” all you want but the idea of having something so toxic that if handled incorrectly could kill you is insane.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #48 of 139

The tweeter in my Solo6 Be is in my recording studio, as I’ve mentioned before the monitors are not handled In this locked room.

Imagine leaving the Utipia in your living room and walking into the room to find your small child handling or even chewing on them.

You can say “it’s your responsibility to...” all you want but the idea of having something so toxic that if handled incorrectly could kill you is insane.

Do we really need to list the dozens of products in most homes that could hurt a child if parents didn't keep them out of reach?

What do you think would happen if a child were to chew on a powered electrostatic headphone?

This thread.....

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #49 of 139
what is the conclusion then? it's just yes or no question if i'm not mistaken. is it safe? did focal already answer his email or perhaps any info on their website. otherwise there is really no point wasting 3 pages just to answer yes or no question

please read the previous posts because i really don't have anything further to add to what's already been said

your position has changed from asking if you should have any concerns to actually having them, so i presume that you won't be considering acquiring a utopia any more and this thread has now run its course

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #50 of 139

Focal have still not replyied to any of emails after my initial request for information.

Here is the reply I received from my initial question:

Dear Steve,
thanks for your message which i forward herewith to our representative for Canada.
With best regards
Carsten Roth
Head of Export Sales Home

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #52 of 139
I currently own a pair of Focal Elear and I absolutly adore them. I love them so much that I have been thinking of upgrading to the Utopia's. I have been writing Focal a few times in regards to Beryllium being toxic and should there be any concern about having this strapped around your head for hours at a time.
I first wrote to them about a month ago about my concern. They did write back to me letting me know they would get back to me shortly regarding my concern, they never did.
I have now written to them several times and have not heard back.

Does anyone know for certain if there should be any concern about having Beryllium in a headphone?

You've clearly already made the decision that Be is too dangerous for headphones, so what are you attempting to accomplish by asking Focal?

Focal is selling the Utopia with Be drivers, so clearly, Focal believes they are safe. Or are we going to move into conspiracy territory?

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #53 of 139
what's the stats gotta do in berylium drivers? is the op asking about stats headphone? please correct me if i'm wrong, the op was asking about berylium drivers on headphone, right? english is not my native language, so i could misunderstood the question op raised in the first place. i don't own utopia or any focal products or any products with berrylium drivers in it.i never contacted focal, if focal stated in their manual just like they did in their speakers manual. problem solved. yes it is safe as long as you follow the instruction, there is precaution.so buyer know the risk in case crap happen.

some people might thinking this is really stupid question, but there are some people like me, didn't major in chemical or electrical or have any background nor experience in those field. is it really stupid asking those question? especially to the manufacture who manufacture this thing? so i'm guessing people who ask thing like is this medication is safe,no side effect all that to their doctors also stupid now? if i'm major in chemical engineering i don't need to ask this question, again this is just yes or no question, why wasting 4 pages.

from reading through 3 pages, please correct me if i'm wrong, the conclusion that i get is yes, it is safe as long as you don't do those things such as chewing or snort the berylium dust. if that's the case then no more discussion

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #55 of 139
This thread is a joke.

You're safe ok, nothing will happen, no kid gonna chew on your headphones, no dog no cat etc. Its not gonna burst open and infect your brain with chemicals .

I'm wearing them right now, I let my daughter listen to music on them as well, no issue.

Just don't buy them and hopefully a mod can bury this thread somewhere.

It's just stupid, and perhaps thats why focal not responding to you as well.

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #56 of 139
The thread is not a joke. You can bury your head in the ground and trust everyone else around you to take care of you if you like, but I have a right to ask questions. All I can say is beware of a company who ignores it's customers concerns.

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #57 of 139
This thread is a joke.

You're safe ok, nothing will happen, no kid gonna chew on your headphones, no dog no cat etc. Its not gonna burst open and infect your brain with chemicals .

I'm wearing them right now, I let my daughter listen to music on them as well, no issue.

Just don't buy them and hopefully a mod can bury this thread somewhere.

It's just stupid, and perhaps thats why focal not responding to you as well.

I've had dogs chew a pair of my headphones. Was my fault for leaving them out, but nonetheless it happened.

Also there is no need to use derogatory language here. OP has a concern with a headphone, I'd say head-fi is a pretty good place to post about it. Just because you invested into a particular headphone doesn't give you a license to dictate what should and what shouldn't be posted about it.

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #58 of 139
The thread is not a joke. You can bury your head in the ground and trust everyone else around you to take care of you if you like, but I have a right to ask questions. All I can say is beware of a company who ignores it's customers concerns.

What do you expect from Focal? A letter saying "Despite the fact that we've already sold a large number of these headphones and thousands of Be tweetered speakers, Be is not safe. You've caught us."

You are accusing a manufacturer of knowingly and willfully selling a toxic product - it's really a pretty large insult and an accusation of serious criminal acts. I wouldn't respond either if I was Focal - they have zero to gain as clearly, since they are selling Be based headphones and speakers, they (and any regulating agencies) consider them safe.

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #59 of 139
i really do think that this thread has run its course. i'm not sure what else the op hopes to gain by repeating himself.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #60 of 139
I've had dogs chew a pair of my headphones. Was my fault for leaving them out, but nonetheless it happened.

Also there is no need to use derogatory language here. OP has a concern with a headphone, I'd say head-fi is a pretty good place to post about it. Just because you invested into a particular headphone doesn't give you a license to dictate what should and what shouldn't be posted about it.

What derogatory language? And yes I have license to have what’s called an opinion and this thread is a joke, and how can OP have a cocern with a headphone that A. He doesn’t even own & B. These concerns have been addressed a million times before not only here but on other sites and if their really that bad that the scary beryllium beavers are gonna naw through the enclosure and burst into your brain why does focal keep churning them out if they know this? Why does every major country in the world allow them for sale at retail and why am I along with 1000’s of others never had an issue and are not dead at this point.

Case and point > this thread is a joke, call focal stop askng here as obvioulsy no one here can help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back