No response from Focal re toxic Beryllium
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 139
Again, the only known danger of beryllium poisoning is with those who mine it or work with it in powder or aerosol forms.

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/beryllium.html

"According to NIOSH (the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 2011), "workers exposed to particles, fumes, mists and solutions from beryllium-containing materials may develop beryllium sensitization or chronic beryllium disease, a potentially disabling or even fatal respiratory disease"

So unless you plan on eating or turning the Be drivers into powder, then inhaling it, there is no consumer risk.

For those still unconvinced, it's probably best to buy a non Be headphone.

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 139
well i just found out there be dragons and i thought there were only rabbits i was digging for, now i can't eat my HP, for the love of humanity

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #21 of 139
Dr Fang once shelled Focal about this topic.. now this comes up again

Remember EU standard

Dr, Fang is probably angry that HFM can't afford to work with beryllium.

Focal is based in France and has been producing Be drivers for decades - I doubt they are in violation of any EU standards.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #23 of 139
A reply from Focal letting me know the Utopia is perfectly safe is not too much to ask

Let’s look at this in the inverse. You need Focal to tell you a material they’ve used for decades with no known end user issues is safe within their use cases?

Why wouldn’t that be the operating assumption given that the science behind beryllium risk factors is well worked out and that Focal has used Be for quite a while. Would a note from them confirming it really change anything? Do you think Focal is knowingly selling a dangerous product?

Not trying to be rude, but if this concerns you, you should consider non Be options.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #24 of 139
I buy a lot of focal utopia headphones purely for the fact it’s cheaper for me to get the beryllium I need that way than manufacturing it myself in a lab, I heat it up to melting point in my lab and inject it as I’m currently trying to become a super hero I’m testing “silver surfer theory” at the moment.

I emailed focal about this as it hasn’t been working as intended and asked them if they could up the amount of beryillium they use in my head phone orders due to my research, they happily obliged and I’m now getting the required effects.

If you would like some utopia headphones without the deadly beryillium pm me I can let them go at a 50% discount.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #25 of 139
Beryllium is so last week, you should try glow discharge speakers :wink:
Btw, Hill Plasmatronics were not toxic due to helium use for the glow discharge, Lansche and Acapella corona tweeters (not as uber good as glow discharge) are not toxic too.

Nelson Pass glow discharge speakers were toxic, and also Plasmatronic headphones.

Don't worry, Focal is a big company and the Utopias are safe, can't imagine what you would post if you had a BHSE and some Stax headphones :joy:

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #29 of 139
I keep saying that if Focal replied to my email as they told me they would I wouldn't be as concerned as I am now by them totally ignoring my various emails. When I purchased my Focal Solo 6 Be a few years ago I'm sure there as a warning label on the speakers regarding the beryllium. They include that warning sticker for liability reasons. Why aren't they doing the same for the Utopia's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back