No nonsense amp (DAC/amp?)
Jun 23, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 18
Jun 24, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 18
a lot of the issue is different forums have different preferences usually. some like schiit some hate it, some love topping some hate it same with audio gd etc etc. this is why its hard to go off any one person or groups testing. now if you find you prefer the same type of sound as say tyll from inner fidelity then you can take some of his reviews with a bit more weight same with other people. what i would always recc is read as many reviews and tests about a product as you can and take the good and bad points and see if it will suit your needs. the magni combo is very good, you can check out the massdrop cavalli cth or lcx combo when they have them, the a30 and d30 is a great pair though a bit older but sounds really good still, the emotiva a100 can be had for 229 and a great dac for like 200 like the d50 maybe and that will give you all the power you could ever want. there are so many options. the next level up would be something more along the jot w/ dac (though i much prefer the dac separate myself) or maybe the lyr 3 w/dac, you can look at garage 1217 though a bit on the warmer side the polaris and ember are very good amps. a slightly use audio gd for around 5xx$ are very nice. one nice thing is as long as you buy a good name amp they usually can be re sold here or elsewhere for minimal hit and get a good part of your money back and try something else.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 18
If you can get around the lack of DSD support (it doesn't matter at all to me), I think the O2+ODAC combo is easily one of the best. I have tried numerous others with my Audeze LCD-2 headphones but have yet to switch. I bought mine from JDS and the customer service is some of the best anywhere. They were happy to customize the inputs and outputs of mine, and are always available for questions or repairs. I have purchased "higher-end" amps before but can never justify the difference. My combo is going strong after 4 years now. I don't think I can justify my new Massdrop x Cavalli CTH either anymore and will likely put it up for sale too. The O2 is just too competent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back