No nonsense amp (DAC/amp?)
Jun 22, 2018 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Summum Malum

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for an amp and DAC combo (or all in one dac/amp) that is neutral (accurate, not coloured, etc) under $400 Canadian. I've peaked at the ODAC and O2, as well as the Schiit stack, but both are reported to pose problems (buzzing due to lights, consistency issues, etc).

Also looked at the Topping D30 and A30, as they were well-reviewed on Audio Science Review, but they're so little known.

Any suggestions? I plan on driving anything from a KRK 8400 to a harder to drive headphone.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 18
I dig my Schiit Stack, Modi2U/Magni3....and have zero issues with it. I find the sound clean and it easily drives 600ohm Beyerdynamics.

Had to look up the buzzing issue.....and I don't have it. But I will say that looking at the threads that maybe the Magni 3 is sensitive to ground hum? I did have some hum when I first got it, but it was a bad 1/4"/3.5 mm adapter. from Monoprice. Tossed it and it never came back. I could make it hum by twisting the headphone plug that went in the adapter.

As for Audio Science Review, just make sure you read as many threads as you can regarding Amir and his "testing". Don't just use him as your only source for an opinion.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 18
While I agree that the Modi2/Magni3 stack might be great value for the money, and that can be a Modi Multibit still under $400 total (though USB cable and RCA cables are needed), I'm not sure that's neutral sound. I've seen it described as warm and that's what it might be, perhaps that's incorrect. Curious if it can be beaten for the money anyway though.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 18
Is aune supposed to ring a bell? You can also go for something more expensive with Schiit and pick up a Jotunheim. I'm impressed by a Modi Multibit with a Jotunheim that turns out to beat a Questyle CMA400i by a real margin. Hoping that Bifrost Multibit and Jotunheim will leave me satisfied and eliminate background noise, but the thread starter can take the Jotunheim with an included DAC module for $500 I believe.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 18
Hi Summum Malum,

I would suggest looking at usb computer interfaces like the Lexicon Alpha or Focusrite Sacrlett Series.

Good value or money either one but that's just my humble suggestion.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 18
Well call me picky, but no dsd support is a no go for me nowadays...

Would you please elaborate on this? From what I understand DSD is simply higher quality files. But from what I understand DSD is for higher quality files, and supposedly we cannot actually hear the differences.

I am sure I've opened a can of worms here. :p I do look forward to your feedback! I am still learning. :)

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 18
Please Im not an expert, and yes you're right the difference is sooo minimal, but if you don't want to pay $$$ for dsd etc., there are some really amazing released tracks/albums on "sites". If just shiit reconsider their politic about dsd implementation, I would sell my mojo ako/dac and pick tube shiit.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 18
Schiit Lyr 3 + Multibit DAC card. Never looked back.

Can roll whichever tubes you like for your favoured sound signature, or stick with the LISST tube if you prefer solid state.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 18
Experience is a crucial part, in my experience. If you haven't compared something to other products you can find it to be a certain thing it isn't. The posters there do seem to be on average more knowledgeable and experienced, but you can find plenty of valuable content here too.

To give you an example, recently the Questyle CMA400i came out, and it got some hype. Reviewers who write for sites are generally useless; they tend to claim everything is good. It's quite ironic but that's the sad reality; relationships with producers appear to be more important than helping consumers, which should be your primary goal as a reviewer. Head-Fi posters in the CMA400i thread were of the opinion that the CMA400i is excellent. Someone brought up SBAF disagreeing, and it was counter-claimed that SBAF are biased toward Schiit. I ran into a potential issue with my Jotunheim + Mimby Schiit stack ($650) and bought a CMA400i ($800), expecting to like it and move on from Schiit. It turns out I agree with SBAF as I find that Schiit stack more or less much better. If you listen to DSD music you might decide differently, but for me it's not much of a contest.

I think you can see how important experience and a broader knowledge base are even in this thread. How many of the posters who have suggested something actually have experience with all of the suggestions or with a good selection of devices based on the premise? Myself included, I have little. The point is you can easily have people unknowingly giving crap suggestions. Being more "welcoming" and "open to opinions" can be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 18
I dig my Schiit Stack, Modi2U/Magni3....and have zero issues with it. I find the sound clean and it easily drives 600ohm Beyerdynamics.

Had to look up the buzzing issue.....and I don't have it. But I will say that looking at the threads that maybe the Magni 3 is sensitive to ground hum? I did have some hum when I first got it, but it was a bad 1/4"/3.5 mm adapter. from Monoprice. Tossed it and it never came back. I could make it hum by twisting the headphone plug that went in the adapter.

As for Audio Science Review, just make sure you read as many threads as you can regarding Amir and his "testing". Don't just use him as your only source for an opinion.

What is wrong with his testing? On another forum (SBAF) they trash him, but I've never seen them point out what's wrong with his measurements.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Important thing to remember is trust your own ears & opinions & demo as much as possible.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back