No More Super Minis?
Oct 22, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #31 of 46
Tripps I agree with you, but everyone has to realize when you're in a public forum and you shop your wares, you will be praised/critized for almost everything you say of do regarding you're product. If Fixup didn't realize what reaction his "price increase" would have, I can certainly understand that, he could've reacted. After what was happening evolved, there was no reason he could not have chimed in and explained the motives (too many orders ,not enough time). Remember, he pulled himself from the board, he wasn't kicked out.
People are peple and will draw conclusions based on what's in front of them, and there's two things that could happen. the subject at the heart of the matter can come in and explain if he or she feels the need to set the record straight (as Jude has done), or if it's not important to them, not. Personally if something is said about me and the people who believe it and didn't hear it from me, depending on the subject I could really care less about what they feel or believe. I figure if they didn't hear it from me, they're misinformed and choose to be. Fixup may be the same way, maybe not. There is some responsibility on the person being talked about to try to right the situation, if they choose to. It may be unfortunate, but it's the way it is.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #33 of 46
I've thought about this a little, and this "fake price increase" really rubs me the wrong way. Keep in mind I'm not interested in purchasing a mini, nor have ever done business with Fixup.
Having said that. This "increase" really really is wrong in my view.
Let's say two people see the amp and want to buy it and the advertised price of $80; as both see it as a great deal. Before each buys the price increase hits, and now the amp is $125. Person A, who has limited funds or would've wanted the amp for $80 as it would suit his needs, needs or chooses to pass. Person B, who doesn't really think the amp is such a good deal anymore but decides to order it anyway, gets rewarded by only having to pay $80 for one, where the other who made the decision not to buy based on the $125 price, is out of an $80 amp.

Is that fair in any way shape of form?

This isn't an attack on Fixup the person, I'm sure he's a great guy, but his business practices really leave something to be desired. And I think everyone quick to judge those who criticize Fixup need to really take this into consideration. The fact he's a nice guy doesn't take from the fact that his tactics are wrong, language barrier or not.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #34 of 46
I would agree that many of the tactics seem to have very little thought behind them as he may very well have lost some business due to his dealings here, his inability to accept some of the rules, and some of his own way of conducting business. But consider that quoting a high price and then providing a lower price to those who call to inquire is not at all unusual in the audio world. Virtual Dynamics, for example, does this -- they quote high prices on their higher-end cables but will give discounts on new equipment or even larger discounts on demo gear if you call and talk about their gear. But the example you present is especially valid in this case considering fixup's claim of being a "cowboy" who wants to be nice to the consumer who doesn't want to pay too much for an amp.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #35 of 46
I understand, and you're absolutely right Dan. But dealers don't set up a false pretense of a lower price followed by an incredibly high price increase, then quoting the low price again after the order has been made. I believe Fixup went ahead and charged $80 only after the order for the amp had been put in...for $125.

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #36 of 46
Yeah, that was basically my point. Stating an initial MSRP and quoting lower prices to interested parties is the standard procedure, not a sudden increase of price and then lower quotes. But he's a cowboy -- so maybe that's why the prices were in for a bumpy ride!

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #37 of 46
The part I find most disappointing? He hasn't made an attempt at contact with head-fi at all. I'm sure he got tons e-mail, asking him to respond, etc.

Oct 24, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #38 of 46
Hi, I'm a newbie to head-fi & came across this thread. I do spend quite some time browsing newsgroups/forums. If i were skilled enough to be building amps, I doubt if I'd ever have the time anymore, let alone take in such a plethora of comments, compose myself and formulate a PR reply... especially when English isn't my 1st language and I'm missing sleep to begin with... I doubt if my business decision would have much if any sense at all then ... but that's just me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #39 of 46
Welcome to Head-Fi abeautifullife. I'll let someone else give you the official greeting *leaves door open*

I happen to disagree. Apparently Fixup's been a member here for quite awhile, and I'm sure he's observed how the other diyer's have conducted themselves. Plus this isn't the only item he sells, and he has a website promoting his wares. I believe he can be a little more accountable for the decisions he's made.

Plus, this isn't the only thread concerning this topic. There's more.

Oct 31, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #40 of 46
For those who have been discussing Fixup without knowing much about him, here is how he describes himself on his own site:

Hello, I am Dr. Xin Feng. I started my "Cool Tips" site in 1997 and it has since been loved by people all around the world.

I am a former rocket scientist and I studied and worked in that area for 15 years -- developing rocket engines for satellite rockets and ballistic missiles. I developed China's first digital controller of rocket engine (used a Intel 8096) and won many national awards. My Ph.D. dissertation is on "PWM Control and Health Monitoring of a Variable Thrust Space Liquid Rocket Engine" and here is a list of some my publications.

I love electronics and built my first crystal radio at 7. Thank to my overclocked Libretto 100CT (with CDPD wireless), Windows 2000 and Internet, I can handle all by myself my business in my spare time -- accounting, tax return, merchant (credit cards charging), domain (fixup.net), this website, email servers, etc.

I am dependable and trustable, because I'm a talented hard working and learning guy with integrity. I love and do the best for what I do. That's why I can offer the lowest price for the highest quality, such as laptop overclocking and hard drive upgrading together for only $40 with guaranteed same or next day turn around. Sorry about my poor American English and any confusion it might bring to you due to that. American English is my third language and my other languages are Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, Japanese and English English :
wink.gif
. If I spent more time on improving my English than on the things I'm really good at, I would have never brought to you the cool stuff found on this website.

Don't forget that I do this website and all the other things you see hear in my spare time only. I'm not a business man, at least not a good one. But I am a good engineer, a great one. I am a great guy to deal with.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #41 of 46
I got two products from Fixup. They were delivered promptly and at the agreed upon price, they perform as promised, and communication with him was excellent. All in all, Fixup is a fine person to deal with. As to how he describes himself, I don't really care. I decided to buy from him on the basis of comments by other Head-Fi members who dealt with him, and I was not disappointed.

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #42 of 46
Hatmann, it seems like he needs to put Marketing on his list of things to learn about...

I'm sure he's on the level and looking at what's been discussed, it was probably a matter of underestimating demand, unnecessarily undercutting the available products and an amateurish attempt to handle said demand. Understandable from a Rocket Scientist Geek
biggrin.gif

I'm quite intrigued. I might order one even at the current price which seems OK in comparison to other builders, and it's the first one which actually interests me as practical for use by Minidisc / MP3 player users.

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #43 of 46
Magicthyse,
Fixup has been completely reliable in the two purchases I made from him: I first bought one of his modified AM/FM pocket radios (Sony SRF-59) then an even smaller modified radio (the Sony SRF-84)and one of his super mini amps (version 2, I think).

The radios sound terrific through KSC-35s! The model 59 operates on one AA battery that lasts and lasts. The model 84 is even smaller and slightly more immune to interference. I slightly prefer the 59 -- it's cheaper and battery lasts longer. Those who require small may opt for the model 84.

The amp is a real kick: I don't use a PCDP and was dubious that an amp would add much to these little radios. But they are an absolute delight.

Fixup should not be considered competition, certainly not for Headroom. He's a little guy -- literally, I suspect -- with a keen mind who obviously enjoys tinkering with this stuff. We're all fortunate that his hobbying has led to a couple of fascinating niche products that nicely supplement what we already have access to from the good folks at Headroom.

More power to him, I say.

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #44 of 46
I won't hear a word said against Fixup. I have bought several products from him and all have been delivered ontime and as promised.

Anyone who disagrees with his practises should get over it. He has provided a great service to many Head-Fiers and I for one am very grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back