No More Super Minis?
Oct 22, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 46
It is his decision to not post a response here, not Head-Fi's. Fixup has brought this upon himself from his actions, its pretty cut and dry. He chooses not to have a dialog with the good people here at head-fi, if he isnt big enough to stand up and defend himself then he deserves every flame thrown his way.

Quote:

Originally posted by dvr
From my perspective, two big mistakes happened. First, Fixup came through with a poorly-timed price increase that caused people to assume he was taking unfair advantage. Second, head-fiers condemned Fixup without giving him a chance to set things straight.

Was Fixup given a window of time to respond before people started attacking his reputation? If Fixup came back a day later and said the earlier price was still in effect for two more weeks for head-fiers, I suspect everyone would have felt they were being treated fairly. Why didn't people suggest this before writing about sinister motives? If head-fiers asked for the price-break and received it, we'd know it was a simple mistake; if Fix-up refused, then comments about his business style would be fair.

I believe all of this ugliness could have been easily avoided.

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 46
If there will be no more mini's doesn't that make the ones a few of us have all the more valuable on the used market (I'm not selling mine)
I wonder if Fixup will tell us how many he's sold.

Someone could conduct a poll.

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by RobertR
If there will be no more mini's doesn't that make the ones a few of us have all the more valuable on the used market (I'm not selling mine)
I wonder if Fixup will tell us how many he's sold.

Someone could conduct a poll.

I'm reminded how many other portable amp options there are on the market including the stuff KurtW and JMT are offering.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 46
Why would anyone raise their prices to slow down orders if they didn't expect to sell them at that price? If you want to slow down orders tell people you are backlogged and not accepting orders until a certain date. I think there is more behind this than what has been stated.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #20 of 46
I'll give the thread two hours to wind down, and then as requested, it will be locked...

There is already a 'fixup bashing' thread currently active ~ without having another one...

1:59:59...

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I'll give the thread two hours to wind down, and then as requested, it will be locked...

There is already a 'fixup bashing' thread currently active ~ without having another one...

1:59:59...

Actually, the other one has already been locked. I'm not sure which rule this thread is violating. Would you mind explaining?

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 46
Kind of on topic:

One thing that doesn't suprise me much is the huge demand for a very tiny amp. People keep saying, "well you can buy a META42 or Airhead for that price." So what. Even if you could buy a Max at that price its not going to fit in your shirt pocket with your MD or mp3 player. I think the attraction is the extreme portability, which is just not offered anywhere else at this time. The META42 or the Airhead are big (relatively speaking). I'm very surprised Headroom hasn't come out with a tiny amp before, I bet the demand for it would be huge as we've seen with Fixup, and I believe they have the capability to use suface mount parts.

In a way I think Fixup is a pioneer because he has always strived to increase the fidelity of the tiniest of equipment (such as the radios), and this is the exact opposite of the trend in audio where the electronics in portable equipment are designed with cost as the only goal after size. Headroom has often spoken of developing audiophile portable stuff, but we have seen nothing from them besides the not-so-well-regarded Airhead family (which took 2-3 generations to get where they are now) and the huge and heavy Supreme/Cosmic. It has taken people like JMT, the META team, Fixup and Aos to really get the ball rolling.

I think there is potentially a huge market for great portable sound. So many more people listen portably with headphones than they do stationary. I know I am amazed at how much better my lowly $15 KSC-50s sound when they are connected to the $55 META42 I built. So take that META42 and stuff a smt version inside an ipod-like device, or a slimx-like device, or on a decent soundcard, and package it with some oem porta-pros out of the box, and then see how well it sells.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #23 of 46
Slindeman
Then consider FixUp's absense a business opportunity for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Actually, the other one has already been locked. I'm not sure which rule this thread is violating. Would you mind explaining?

None Kelly, none at all

The only reason is because there has been a request for it to be locked, and in semi-realism there is no constructive merit to how this thread has turned out...

But, with what you're asking in mind ~ I'll let it ride for a while... but if things get a little too slanderous, it'll be locked with no prior warning
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
None Kelly, none at all

The only reason is because there has been a request for it to be locked, and in semi-realism there is no constructive merit to how this thread has turned out...

But, with what you're asking in mind ~ I'll let it ride for a while... but if things get a little too slanderous, it'll be locked with no prior warning
smily_headphones1.gif

Duncan
I for one certainly have not intended any slander (or libel as the case would be given the medium and the American legal system) toward FixUp or his business and from what I've seen I don't think anyone else has either. I do think it is valuable for people to be able to express their displeasure with a business as much as they are able to express their gratitude and satisfaction when things go the other way. It is only in that spirit that I would ask for it to remain open. I feel that FixUp has benefited from much praise on this forum in previous threads.

I would go a step further to say that I've only dealt with FixUp once. In that instance the product came as described and that he was polite and nice to talk with in email.

I don't like to see things turn out badly for anyone but I do feel that there is a certain amount of consumer protectionism that the open communication on Head-Fi provides and I hate to see that trivialized. I don't really have anything else to add to this thread myself, having already made my points. I'd like others to be able to share theirs, though.

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I'm very confused. Why was this thread going to be considered for a lock? I mean, no flames, no slander, etc.
confused.gif

None...

BUT, I saw how ugly the last thread got... and didn't really think a repeat performance was warranted...

You'll also notice Andrzejpw in my prior posts that I said...
Quote:

no implication there, just trying to avoid a repeat performance
Quote:

but if things get a little too slanderous, it'll be locked with no prior warning

Again, no implication that anything bad HAD happened here... but, just not wanting anything to happen...

Hopefully thats cleared that one up
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
boo hiss

Ooooooh, my first heckler... I must now be a REAL head-fi mod
wink.gif

Hey, look on the bright side... the thread is still open... right?

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #30 of 46
Well, thanks for not closing the thread. I think a lot of people misinterpreted Fixup's intentions when he did that fake price increase, and I think a lot of people did EXACTLY what Fixup did just prior to leaving Head-Fi. He jumped to conclusions and assumed that Jude's intentions were of the lowest standards.

Now after this fake increase, everyone else did the exact same thing. Getting a taste of his own medicine? Maybe so, but it still doesn't make it right to attack someone's character without even talking to them or finding out what their real reasoning was, and especially to start calling them names.

Obviously, Fixup made a mistake in making a fake price increase, but people make mistakes all the time. I do and I know 100% of the people on the planet do so as well.

Fixup was wrong to assume Jude's actions were a result of bad intentions, and many folks here were wrong to assume Fixup's actions were a result of bad intentions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back