NO more go-vibe, what is comparable?
Feb 1, 2006 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Rickio

500+ Head-Fier
what amp is comparable in price and quality to go-vibe?

There are quite a few amps but mostly much more expensive. I guess I would go higher but not much more at this time. Maybe $150 or so. $100 bucks is better
smily_headphones1.gif

To amp cans like hd580, dt880 , sr225? mostly worried about the higher end cans.

Feb 1, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 30
A well-built MINT will be comparable, except it uses buffers. The Portaphile X3 (unbuffered) is also somewhat similar. So is the RSA Hornet.

A CMOY is also a possibility, but I'd watch out for build and parts quality issues.

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 30
Xin Super Mini or Super Micro III, a PIMETA perhaps...

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Xin Super Mini or Super Micro III, a PIMETA perhaps...

My Pimeta sounds quite different than a Go-Vibe. Perhaps if it were built without buffers it would be more similar...

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
My Pimeta sounds quite different than a Go-Vibe. Perhaps if it were built without buffers it would be more similar...

While that may be true, are we looking essentialy at a Go Vibe replacement? The amps that I listed are all in that price level to a degree and also sound pretty good, as does the Go Vibe.

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
While that may be true, are we looking essentialy at a Go Vibe replacement? The amps that I listed are all in that price level to a degree and also sound pretty good, as does the Go Vibe.

Ah OK, gotcha. Well if it's a go-vibe replacement but doesn't need to sound that similar, how about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIMETA-Headphone...QQcmdZViewItem

Well priced Pimetas IMO, and Rockhopper Audio has a pretty good rep.

If you figured $79 for a Go-Vibe plus $18 extra for AD8620 (standard in the Rockhopper), they're about the same price. Same gain setting for both, and both are single-9v powered (not my first choice for high impedance cans, but should work OK).

P.S. I almost went for one myself, but ended up with a much more full featured home/transportable Pimeta (used) for $35 more. They are definitely good sounding amps, although I'm not sure quite as transparent as the Go-Vibe due to the buffers in the signal path. Pretty forward/aggressive with the AD8620 though...

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 30
That link would have been one of my first suggestions. Though it may not be the Go Vibe or sound like one, I'm quite certain it sounds pretty good and for a pretty good price as well. And just for clarification, I was looking in terms of price mostly. If you want the sound of a Go Vibe it seems to be your only option is to get one used, but as I said, there are alternatives that still sound pretty good.

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Ah OK, gotcha. Well if it's a go-vibe replacement but doesn't need to sound that similar, how about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIMETA-Headphone...QQcmdZViewItem

Well priced Pimetas IMO, and Rockhopper Audio has a pretty good rep.

If you figured $79 for a Go-Vibe plus $18 extra for AD8620 (standard in the Rockhopper), they're about the same price. Same gain for both, and both are single-9v powered (not my first choice for high impedance cans, but should work OK).

that looks very interesting but out of curiosity what would be your first choice of amp? forgetting my price point for the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio
that looks very interesting but out of curiosity what would be your first choice of amp? forgetting my price point for the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

For high impedance headphones like HD580 or DT880 I recommend dual-9v power, or at least an amp that has a DC jack option. It's possible you could run into some music dynamic enough to cause clipping with high impedance cans... 9 volts is really not enough power, and I confirmed this with a well known DIYer around these parts who designs as well as builds amps (but will remain unnamed).

Quote:

Under demanding conditions, 9V is inadequate for any high impedance headphones with any opamp.

Might not be an issue for you, as music that loud/dynamic would be relatively unusual, but still... I wouldn't take the chance myself, but I'm a bit anal about SQ
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

For high impedance headphones like HD580 or DT880 I recommend dual-9v power, or at least an amp that has a DC jack option. It's possible you could run into some music dynamic enough to cause clipping with high impedance cans... 9 volts is really not enough power, and I confirmed this with a well known DIYer around these parts who designs as well as builds amps (but will remain unnamed).

Might not be an issue for you, as music that dynamic would be relatively unusual, but still...

hmmm ok i think i saw shellbrooks labs had a amp with dual 9 volts. i forget what its called but i am sure most of you know. or dc jack ok, i'll look for those features.

uh whats a PINT?

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Might not be an issue for you, as music that dynamic would be relatively unusual, but still...

You're taking his word as canon, and while I understand your reasoning I have to question his definition of "under demanding conditions" before I accept it. PM him and get it for me? I know you won't disclose the name, but I'd like to hear his definition (as in, at what constant/absolute SPL). I seem to recall a few different tests showing audible/noticable clipping levels to be difficult to coax out of a 9V op-amp based amplifier under 300ohm load, or I wouldn't be asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back