No high-quality RCA-to-mini cables?
Dec 28, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #16 of 28
I use the straightwire as well... However, I'd just build a better cable, you can do it for relatively little cost and it'd be much better than other things out there.

And I'm sure there are good miniplugs out there, Neutrik makes one...

Dec 28, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #17 of 28
AA, thanks alot for the info on the Twisted Pairs cable! I just ordered one from CJ's Audio. I asked CJ's to find out if they will make a custom stereo-mini-to-stereo-mini, and if they do, I'll pass on that info.

If anyone reading this is thinking of ordering any of this stuff, it might help if I explain my own setup, because the physical layout of the units and the cable plug orientation can make a difference. If you don't care, just skip the rest.

I need to connect a WM-D6C to my preamp (this means two dual runs for the tape monitor loop), and a PDCP as well. The line-in and line-out of both of these units requires 1/8" mini phone plugs. The WM-D6C is an excellent tape deck on it's own merit, and I can use it at home to record directly from CD or my turntable, or dub from my Nakamichi tape deck. Given the physical layout of the equipment, side by side, I need straight-in plugs, not the right-angle plugs, and the better cable is often thicker and less compliant, putting more pressure on the portable unit, and the right-angle plug cable tends to "spring up" in the air, especially if it's not exactly the right length. Headroom's Straightwire cable is just not very flexible, with the two RCA-ended runs going side by side into the miniplug. While the RS is much more flexible, it doesn't seem too well shielded and I'm willing to believe it doesn't sound as good as the other stuff -- and it is very long. The right-angle plugs are nice if they're used for connecting portables carried in a bag, but that's not how I use them -- most of the time the portables are sitting away from my main setup, on a desk with my computer, connected to headphones or my Monsoon desktop speakers. I also need excellent RFI protection (I'm within sight of several radio broadcast towers) so well-shielded cable is a must.

So I'm taking the path of least resistance (no pun intended) and going for the consistent use of relatively inexpensive but decent sounding cabling. I'm duplicating my other system cables (all Straightwire Chorus) and using RS gold-plated adapters to connect to the WM-D6C. The Chorus is all I'm willing to spring for, given that I need connect many units. But I'm going splurge and get that one Twisted Pair to connect the PDCP.

Dec 28, 2001 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 28
Glad I could help. Actually, I was going to put a link for CJS Audio but couldn't put my hands on the website. Glad you found them. I purchased a dozen vibrapods from them and the service was great. I later learned they carried the TPD cables.

Dec 28, 2001 at 8:11 PM Post #19 of 28
Dec 29, 2001 at 11:18 PM Post #21 of 28
No, the Kimber PBJ and mini to RCA cables aren't shielded, but they do seem pretty resistant to EMI and RFI noise. My main system in my living room uses all PBJ (or PBJ type) cables, four pair total and I get no interference or noise. Of course it will depend on your system, location, and other factors as to how they would do for you.

-Keith

Jan 4, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #23 of 28
So what's the verdict?

My Corda HA-1 is on the way and I need to get a mini to RCA solution in place by then. If anyone tells me the Kimber is worth the extra bucks over the Straightwire, I'll get it--I only need the shorter one anyway, of course.

What's everyone here using?

Kelly

Jan 4, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #24 of 28
I'm waiting for the brown truck to deliver my Twisted Pairs custom .5 meter mini-to-mini and "stock" 1 meter mini-to-RCA; they will make short lengths on request -- contact CJs Audio. They're not right-angle plugs, though.

Jan 4, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 28
I had a surplus of riches delivered today: two replacement Sony D-25S units, a Sony WM-D6C exchange for a defective one, and those Twisted Pairs cables. Not enough time to test it all out, but the cable's appearance is pretty damned impressive. The stuff is as muscular as Arnold Swarzenegger. The mini-to-mini is at least four or five times the thickness of the Radio Shack, and the mini-to-RCA makes the StraightWire look like a toy. But the proof is in the sound. More next week. Gotta make sure the electronics works.

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #26 of 28
I recently got a chance to demo the BL-1 interconnects by HD Labs (Silver Sonic) and I absolutely loved them! I want to replace all my interconnects with these. I wonder if they will make a custom 1-ft mini-RCA cable (but with which connectors???)

I posted a question about Clou Jaspis Freestyle cables, but didn't get an answer. Anyone know if these cables are 1/8" stereo mini jack to dual RCA connectors?
confused.gif

As these would go great with the Red Clous mainly because they are shielded and made of the same material (but would look awesome too, hehe). =)

Jan 5, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #27 of 28
Just took out digital calipers to measure those Twisted Pairs cables. The cable going into the minplug is 10 mm thick (that's .396 inches)! And the miniplug diameter is 14.2 mm (.562"). It looks like a blue garden hose. The mini connectors are not gold, but the RCAs are.

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 28
The Twisted Pairs RCA-to-mini is definitely better than the Radio Shack cable; I don't have the other cables to A/B. Lowered noise floor, cleaner and faster overall. Smoother highs, deeper bass. That's from a Sony D-25s through a Rotel preamp and Sony MDR-F1 and MDR-V6 phones. (Of course, I sure wanted to hear a difference...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back