No high-quality RCA-to-mini cables?
Dec 27, 2001 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
I went to the local top HiFi store (nothing like Best Buy, I'm telling you--I'm talking CDPs that you'd have hernia trying to lift and cables about half as thick as your arm being displayed there
biggrin.gif
) and asked for quality RCA-to-mini cables. They said no such thing exists
mad.gif
mad.gif
They said that if you want an RCA-to-mini cable, you just need one that 'lets the signal through', and 'forget about quality
rolleyes.gif
'
mad.gif

Well I need a quality cable to travel the distance from the home CDP to my Porta Corda, and the PC has a mini input, so there!
mad.gif

Any recommendations?

Edit: the store says they take custom cable orders, but won't bother to take one for an RCA-to-mini cable coz 'there are no quality mini connectors out there--it doesn't matter how good you make the cable, the connector would ruin everything. True?
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 27, 2001 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 28
I got the Radio Shack Gold Series RCA to mini and haven't had a problem. I don't have the most discerning system or ears, but I can't make out any sound degradation. I have both the 6' and 20' version (caveat, the 20' cable goes from my PC to receiver for MP3, which isn't great sound to begin with). They have gold plated plugs and the connects are pretty tight. I think Headroom sells a Kimber RCA to mini cable.

Dec 27, 2001 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 28
Joe, look at my question below on the same topic. And the answers...

Anyway, Headroom sells Kimber and Straightwire stereo-mini-to-dual-RCA cable, in two lengths each. The Straightwire versions (16" and 3') have right-angle-minis; the Kimber use PBJ wire, straight mini plugs, and are more expensive. Monster has two versions, one cheapie and one using Interlink 400 cable (you can usually find them in computer stores). And RadioShack has a cable with gold molded plastic connectors (it is not the Gold Series with the metal screw-on RCA connectors).

I asked a few custom cable guys about making up a custom cable. Bolder Cable will make one for around $60 using Belden cable, but says the limiting factor is the cable thickness and the tiny mini plug.

The other option is to use the RCA-to-RCA cable of your choice and a RadioShack adapter. They have a stereo-female-RCA-to mini-male adapter for about $4.00.

Dec 27, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 28
I forgot to mention the RS cable has a right-angle mini plug. The adapter is straight.

Dec 27, 2001 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 28
Oops. JML is right, the item I have is gold plated, not Gold Series. The item number is Radio Shack 42-2483.

Dec 27, 2001 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 28
I use a RatShack RCA-2-mini adapter (around 5 $) and then just normal RCA cables.

Purists might argue the additional contacts degrate the sound - I don't know about this. Since I use it portably it doesn't really matter....

Bye

Redwoood

EDIT: Sorry, JML. Didn't notice your mentioning of this option

Dec 27, 2001 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 28
I consider myself a purist at heart, but I'm also pragmatic; when an adapter is needed, I use it. In order to get the signal where I needed it in my portable system, I needed right angle RCA connectors, a right angle mini connector, and a mini to RCA adapter. All purchased at Rat Shack. Perhaps the sound is being degraded, but I don't really care. It sounds good to me
smily_headphones1.gif

I could get fancy, buy connectors, remove the WBT plugs from the Silver Sonic BL-1's I'm using as an interconnect, and concoct a custom cable that doesn't use adapters, but don't feel any real need to do so in the absence of a problem.

Dec 27, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 28
From all I've heard and read, the shorter the cable run the less likely that the cable will have any ill effects on the sound. But IMHO, there are two issues I think are important with portable cabling than some of the more esoteric issues -- (1) shielding against RFI/EMI and (2) the quality of the connection itself.

Having just wpn a bout against RFI in another part of my system (turntable/tonearm), I was surprised at how prevalent it can be. I just added a RS ferrite clamp to my V6 cable after being surprised I could hear AM stations when no audio signal was present.

Dec 28, 2001 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 28
Headroom might not have that kimber cable, i ordered one a few weeks back...and waited....and waited....and waited...then i cancelled the order
frown.gif
mad.gif

I guess my radioshack cables are ok until i buy some beast of an amp.

george

Dec 28, 2001 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 28
Call. I gave up on email. But someone always answers the phone. Isn't the Kimber about 3/4 the price of most PCDP's?

Bob
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back