No budget for a high end CDP? A friend tipped me off to this...
Jan 20, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #91 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by double LL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I need to find a Sony playstation 1,I think my daughter has one.She's in college,I'll ask her if I can borrow it and I will give my honest opinion of it ,but that will be a while before I can get around to that.Hey HICIMAN,MEMEPOOL,EVERYBODY,lets get the PL1.C'mon why not?We can save thosands of dollars,pounds,pecos, euros,and hours of back breaking work?LL

You can find them on eBay
Original Sony PlayStation SCPH-1001 Top-Rated CD Player - eBay (item 280193802952 end time Jan-26-08 07:57:54 PST)

I gave mine away, it was great but it was just too fiddly for me ...

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #92 of 100
This was at Six Moons Audio in Feb 2007:

6moons audio reviews: Music Lovers Series "An Auditorium 23, Harbeth. Leben, Shindo and Sony System"

What I find really intriguing is, the SPCH-1001 can be found on e-bay for from $30 to $499, to all the way up to an asking price of just under $4K. Very strange.

The Six Moons reviewer guesses you would have to spend $6K on a one-box CD player to equal or better it. As the article shows, he uses it as the source in what he thinks is the "epitome of the Music Lover's experience".

It makes me doubt the "April Fool's Joke" theory, and makes me think someone who needed a decent source for not a lot of money could do worse. But what's with the crazy pricing - these things are not rarities, AFAIK.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #94 of 100
No matter what we spend, our love of music and wanting to listen to it through man made electronic machines has brought us together on this great web site.Now is'nt that a beautiful thing, regardless of who has the fattest bank account?By the way HCIMAN,I did'nt know you had already bought a PL1 because I had skiped around the pages when I used your name for that joking suggestion that everybody should buy a PL1.I removed your name from that for obvious reasons.I took the time to read this thread all the way through,and I still think it's the best one. LL

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #95 of 100
a very happy PS1cdp owner here!
laser assemblies can be found at modchip.com although they dont fit into the spch 100x without modification. the hundred page long thread has more links and info about the modification in the last 10 or so pages.
i have 2 spch 100x and a 5502. i do indeed concur that for the little amount of money i paid, they sound superb (modified with high-pass output stage with 47uf black-gates on mine, 6db cutoff is at 3htz) i have yet to do any extensive case mods, but they are in the pipeline.
be sure to have a good look at dogbbreath.de about the relevant model numbers and tips on modification and how to tweak the lazer-assemblies.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #97 of 100
The Samsung dvd 709 is a cheap player that was sold in places like Walmart etc. It comes close enough in sound to my Rotel RCD975 which was about $750us new, to make me happy i got my Rotel for only $350 . I think my family picked up the Samsung for under $200 at the time.

DVD Reviewer - Hardware Reviews - The Samsung DVD-709

A good, solid buy; despite it's glitches - Samsung DVD-709 DVD Player - Epinions.com

So sometimes a cheap player that you would never expect to sound good at all can be a sleeper and sound way better than you thought it would.

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #98 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Samsung dvd 709 is a cheap player that was sold in places like Walmart etc. It comes close enough in sound to my Rotel RCD975 which was about $750us new, to make me happy i got my Rotel for only $350 . I think my family picked up the Samsung for under $200 at the time.

DVD Reviewer - Hardware Reviews - The Samsung DVD-709

A good, solid buy; despite it's glitches - Samsung DVD-709 DVD Player - Epinions.com

So sometimes a cheap player that you would never expect to sound good at all can be a sleeper and sound way better than you thought it would.

I have been looking through the 2008 MusicDirect catalouge that is advertising players that cost over $10,000.The cd recorder they recommend is a Denon DN-C550R that sells for $899.00.Go figure

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #99 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by double LL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking through the 2008 MusicDirect catalouge that is advertising players that cost over $10,000.The cd recorder they recommend is a Denon DN-C550R that sells for $899.00.Go figure

There is, I think, a fundamental difference between recording and playing back CDs. When recording a CD I would imagine you would want the most accurate rendering of the input signal so you want the most technically competent ADC that converts the analog signal into the most accurate bitstream and a recording mechanism that doesnt lose anything when it burns the material to CD-R i.e no buffer problems. I would have thought you could get that done for $900.

For playing back CDs all sorts of personal preference issues may come into the equation. Some CD players are deliberately tweaked to not be accurate but to give a playback that some find preferable.

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #100 of 100
I'm another happy Playstation SCPH-1001 owner. On most systems, this solution is probably not a $6K player beater. But it really depends on what you're looking for. If you want warm & fluid sound out of your CDP, what they call "analog-sounding," the PS1 is a fantastic solution.

But system matching is really important. My system is virtually identical to the 6moons system mentioned: Leben CS600, Harbeth Super HL5 speakers, and PS1. (I correspond pretty frequently with the reviewer, Jeff Day.) AKG701 for headphone listening. For speaker listening, I like the 6L6GC tubes in my Leben, but for headphone listening, EL34 tubes, as they make the AKGs really dynamic and gorgeously liquid.

Back to the Playstation: as I said, I know a few players in $6K I'd happily take in place of the Playstation. But it is so good that I no longer felt the need to keep Cambridge Audio 840C in my system, and that's pretty damn good for a $25 investment! But you have to take care of interconnects, component-matching. I use Cardas Quadlink interconnects, and it makes the Playstation sound even more luminous. This combined with the liquid quality of the EL34 output tubes in the Leben really allows the Playstation to shine. However, I can see how some people who try the Playstation in some mega-watt solid state analysis machine are disappointed. Obviously.

So if you'd like to give the Playstation a shot, you should really optimize it to your system, & vice versa. I really recommend tube amps w/ the Playstation, and cabling that is a just a touch warm w/o losing fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back