no bass in Ultrasone DJ1/HFI580?
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

thebucketmouse

New Head-Fier
So I got the Ultrasone DJ1 for Christmas as my first high-end full size headphones. I had heard they are very bassy, but I can't make it happen... even with my Fiio e5 on bass boost and my ipod touch on bass boost, the bass is barely better than some skullcandy earbuds. I know they aren't looked upon very highly on this forum, but phones like the Beats have head-shaking bass... how can I do this with my phones? I feel like they can handle it,because if I turn ALL volumes up all the way, the bass starts to get more powerful. But the treble is too painful for my ears at this point. I am using the EQu ipod app and Fiio e5 bass boost like I said... what else can I do to isolate the bass so it gets powerful for my liking??

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 23
weird. I was on another forum earlier today and someone had the 580s and was wondering if theirs were defective because there wasn't any bass. Read this forum, Ultrasone might have made a bad batch.....idk though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587620/just-got-hfi-580s-defective

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 23
The thing that worries me is the comparison against Skullcandy earbud bass. That's horribly anemic, the HFI-580/DJ1 does not have that kind of anemic bass.

Quote:
it's there. it's audiophile bass. it's different. go find a lossless or even mp3 of a milli by lil wayne. audiophile bass is different from what you might expect. it's that oomph that's there.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
The thing that worries me is the comparison against Skullcandy earbud bass. That's horribly anemic, the HFI-580/DJ1 does not have that kind of anemic bass.

i would upvote this but im out of them :frowning2:
Audiophile bass is different. i was suprised at first too. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 23
After playing A Milli... I HEAR the bass. but I don't FEEL it. it's the same level of bass that my Koss $20 over-ear headphones delivered. like I said earlier, when I tried on the Beats (the high $$$ model) at best buy, I could FEEL the power of the bass, even at low volume levels. I bought the DJ1 because they were supposedly a basshead headphone, do other headphones just not compare to the Beats in terms of bass power? I mean, these things deliver maybe 30% of the bass that the Beats had.

edit: in this review, the guy mentions having to "hold the cans down" because theyre shaking from the bass. I can barely hear the bass then they are away from my head, and there is nowhere NEAR any kind of shaking going on.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/583344/ultrasone-hfi-580-dj1-review

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
After playing A Milli... I HEAR the bass. but I don't FEEL it. it's the same level of bass that my Koss $20 over-ear headphones delivered. like I said earlier, when I tried on the Beats (the high $$$ model) at best buy, I could FEEL the power of the bass, even at low volume levels. I bought the DJ1 because they were supposedly a basshead headphone, do other headphones just not compare to the Beats in terms of bass power? I mean, these things deliver maybe 30% of the bass that the Beats had.

edit: in this review, the guy mentions having to "hold the cans down" because theyre shaking from the bass. I can barely hear the bass then they are away from my head, and there is nowhere NEAR any kind of shaking going on.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/583344/ultrasone-hfi-580-dj1-review

in case you haven't noticed. I wrote that review. thebucketmouse. I suggest returning the HFI 580's for the Sony XB700's. The HFI's just don't suit your tastes. Audiophile headphones are really different. they produce sounds like they were meant too. in case you were wondering. Whoever produced lil wayne and other people didn't use Beats. They used Beyers, Ultrasone's and Senhheiser(amongst many others)

I forgot who said it, but i will paraphrase what they said
on a scale of 0 to 5 for bass
the hfi 580's are a 2. enough to satisfy the audiophile bass needer but not for the yet maturified youngin'(in this case you) or heavy bass heads. MOST heapdhones talked about and loved on head fi have a rating between 0 to 2. 

the hfi 580's can be eq'd to XB500 levels, but beginners eq ing isn't fun or anything. audiophile bass just isn't for you. the SONY XB700's will suit your tastes a lot better...a lot lot better.

the HFI 580's will basically never get to the point you are looking for. even after burn in. I'm basing this off the enthusiasm i heard in the refrences to Beats. See if you can return these. and get the Sony XB700's. you will love those :) those on ascale of 0 to 5 get pretty close to a 5.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 23
alright, I might try that then. hopefully it won't be too tough to return these to the online retailer that they came from. I appreciate the comments, even if the punchy, Beats-type bass is not the most popular sound on this forum, it IS what I was looking for in a set of cans. I really love jamming to some techno and feeling the bass at home my speakers and big sub, and would like to replicate the feeling with bass-heavy headphones. i will look into the XB700

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 23
beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohm with a fiio e11.
i think that will get you where you want to go.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
alright, I might try that then. hopefully it won't be too tough to return these to the online retailer that they came from. I appreciate the comments, even if the punchy, Beats-type bass is not the most popular sound on this forum, it IS what I was looking for in a set of cans. I really love jamming to some techno and feeling the bass at home my speakers and big sub, and would like to replicate the feeling with bass-heavy headphones. i will look into the XB700

hahaha you should've posted that or posted a thread on head fi saying what u just said :) there's no shame with getting an XB700! :) they will definatley suit you. go to your local best buy. they  almost always have them on display :) since you listen to lil wayne and mainstream stuff. the xB is mor eor less WHAT you are looking for :)

ooo and if you can. comment on my review on how it was written(easy to udnerstand) clarity, and other comments plz :)  i want to write other reivews but have to impove my style first :)

RAWRBINTON unless those Beyers produce bass and make lil wayne sound as good as the XB700 and cost relatively comparible ($75) i don't know if those will suit him

the beyers themselves are $160 and the E11 needed to drive them are $69. i don't have them. but if you have heard the XB700's before. plz rate it on that scale of 0-5

the reviews on the DT770 pro seem to match what the XB700's are offering. a lot of bass but with not that good mids and highs. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
one more thing bowei, before I go review your review for you-- have you personally tried out both the Beats Pro and the xb700? no problem if you haven't, just wondering

i have tried the beats pro...it had no bass at all.....it was the most recessed thing i have heard in my live. i did this recently. Even my 580's had more bass! and this is audiophile bass im talking about. the pro's may be trying to follow in the audiophile footsteps by stepping down the bass...didni't work
 i also tried the XB700. loads of bass. this i tried a while ago but remember it had the bass you were looking forward. i had my shure's at the tiime and could compare. the mids and highs are of course no where near an audiophile headphones, but the bass and how it made mainstrream music sound was pretty good. a lot of bassy audiophiers have an XB700 laying around for use periodically when they just want to forget about mids and highs and just listen to some bass heavy wonders :)

and i know what you mean. i have a logitech Z623.......omg...bass right htere :)

and thanks for reading through my review :) :) :) despite my pleas on the review page. ppl usuually don't really say anything about what i should change or what not. just a "this is great thank you" i want to improve. a shortcut to my page is in my signature below. the link looks diff but it will re direct there

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 23
the xb 700 and 770/80 have similar quantities of bass.
but the beyers are a bit more detailed overall.
less one notey in the low end.

if he really just wants to feel his head vibrate then i'd say go xb500 and save the 25$ over the xb700.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 23
yeah, i forgot. which one had more vibrating bass. XB500 or XB700. the sony's aren't really talked about much. is it that the XB700's have less but try to be more detailed? if so. then i guess go for the XB500's :)
we have a mainstream kid over here. i doubt he can justify spending another extra $100 for a slight improvement(in his mind) that's how i usd to see things :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back