No appreciation thread for Audio-Technica ATH-M50?
Dec 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #16 of 27
have the m50 and think its a bargain for the $100 going price. far and away better than the hd280 and rp21! fairly neutral with some bass punch. close to a closed version of a beyer dt880 non-pro. much better than their big brother the pro700

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt they came closer to my Mackie Monitors than almost any other headphone. They just seem pretty much ruler flat except for a slightly elevated lower bass, which I agree is punchy, but kick drums seemed a bit pronounced. Not sure why they did that, cause they are so close to being one of the most balanced phones on the market.

I'm pretty sure it's because they tried to compensate for the fact that headphones have a very hard time reproducing the kind of solid impact that we feel with monitors, and I think they made the right decision because it's the only headphones in my collection that can approximate the kind of punchy impact of reference monitors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have the m50 and think its a bargain for the $100 going price. far and away better than the hd280 and rp21! fairly neutral with some bass punch. close to a closed version of a beyer dt880 non-pro. much better than their big brother the pro700

Hell yeah--the M50 definitely beats both the HD280 Pro and RP-21--no contest, whether it's sound quality or comfort.

I think it's better than the Beyerdynamic stuff too, since it does not have the slightly shrill spike in the lower treble like the DT880/770

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gearsluts like anything cheap.. Mention the HP1/2/K1000/DT48/7509/CD900ST for monitoring/mixing, & they will tell you they are not worth it, too expensive.. The 50's is just as good.. I been there.. Their views on studio grade headphones are pathetic.. Basically, the 50's/7506/280's.. Anything over 100 seems to expensive to them..

I think this is because they don't do any critical listening on headphones--they use reference studio monitors. They mostly just use headphones for tracking, and for tracking you don't need high-end headphones--just decent ones with good seal and somewhat neutral sound will do just fine. Some do check mixes on headphones and most use the HD600/650 or K701/702 for that. So from that perspective, the M50 really is quite enough for studio use--it's neutral enough, comfortable enough, could be used for tracking and checking mixes, and inexpensive (so you can get several of them for the studio to track the whole band).

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #18 of 27
ATH-M50 is really nice indeed. It is quite neutral, except for some sub bass emphasis and slight treble emphasis (significant emphasis if driven unamped actually.) It also has some technical flaws. I think the bass definition could definitely use some work on the M50. The bass is very deep, but is somewhat sloppy and muddy with the finer detail being getting smeared. If you want to hear really great bass from an ATH closed can, try ESW10. ATH-M50 bass quality is not even close to what ESW10 can produce and sounds muddy and sloppy by comparison, although it is certainly quite nice for a $100 headphone. If you want to hear better bass from an IEM that is even cheaper than M50, try Hifiman RE0 - it has more detail than M50 and is more neutral too. I also have a problem with the treble on M50 - it just doesn't sound all that natural IMO. It has a certain metallic quality to it and if the M50s are driven unamped, the treble also become piercing. Finally, we got the mids - they are fairly flat on the M50 with no major flaws, but unfortunately lack micro detail/texture and sound a bit lifeless. There is also a certain dip in the low mids that also takes away some presence and makes the sound somewhat hollow.

But overall, I do like the M50. I just don't think one can compare it favorably to such audiophile level headphones as HD650 or even other good closed headphones that are in the $150-$300 range. I think Shure SRH840 for example, sounds noticeably better than M50 in just about every way. German Maestro GMP 8.35 D is also quite a bit better overall. I also prefer Beyerdynamic DT770 to M50. I think Ultrasone PRO750 sounds much better too. So in the end, I think M50 is just good for the price, but is no giant killer. There are other good options for the price too, like Shure SRH440 and M-Audio Q40, both of which surpass M50 in some aspects.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But overall, I do like the M50. I just don't think one can compare it favorably to such audiophile level headphones as HD650 or even other good closed headphones that are in the $150-$300 range.

Then you might be surprised to know that the M50 passed the bass details test I posted here, while the HD650/600 failed. A number of more expensive cans all failed the test.

HD650's soundstage and lush sound is definitely its highlight and I like them on the HD650 more. M50's soundstage is a lot smaller and the sound is more clinical. And the treble is a bit dry and metallic, but no hint of shrillness and not fatiguing at all. It's one of my favorite qualities about the M50--accurate without fatigue.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #20 of 27
I posted this question in another thread but it seems more appropriate here. I currently have MS1's, I realize they are open and the M50 is closed but am I likely to be disappointed with the sound of the m50 compared with the ms1? The MS1's have amazing clarity but I am underwhelmed with the bass. I want some bass punch but don't want to lose the clarity of the MS1.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you might be surprised to know that the M50 passed the bass details test I posted here, while the HD650/600 failed. A number of more expensive cans all failed the test.

HD650's soundstage and lush sound is definitely its highlight and I like them on the HD650 more. M50's soundstage is a lot smaller and the sound is more clinical. And the treble is a bit dry and metallic, but no hint of shrillness and not fatiguing at all. It's one of my favorite qualities about the M50--accurate without fatigue.

Well said. Bravo.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also prefer Beyerdynamic DT770 to M50.

Pianist, thanks for the interesting critique. Can you tell me which DT770 model you are referring to and say a little about why you prefer it to the M50? Thanks.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #23 of 27
I've heard both the DT770 & HD280, although both just briefly and not through any kind of slick amp set up. The DT770 80ohm didn't sound right to me, it sounded 'empty' but was very comfy and I guess its a sound that'll suit some but not others. The treble felt rolled off too.

The only thing I can say about the HD280s is 'shrill' - I didn't like the treble at all. Plus the build quality is almost laughably bad. However my mate (who owns both) prefers the HD280s to his Beyers, so go figure.

In my mind, the M50s (which I own) edge out both, but its not a night and day difference. The M50s just don't seem to do anything wrong, although they don't really have one 'standout' feature - just good all-rounders. Quite bassy though.

But yeah, I picked up mine for $140 AUD (about $120USD) and they are an absolute steal for that price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleyfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have MS1's, I realize they are open and the M50 is closed but am I likely to be disappointed with the sound of the m50 compared with the ms1? The MS1's have amazing clarity but I am underwhelmed with the bass. I want some bass punch but don't want to lose the clarity of the MS1.

I have some MS1s on the way, plus the M50s on my head right now, so I'll let you know.
smily_headphones1.gif
But based on my memories of the SR60i's (which I didn't like) they're quite different, the M50s are fairly balanced (but not quite straight-as-a-ruler flat), a little recessed in the midranges, not particularly bright (read: balanced) and don't shy away from bass (but its not overbearing)

BTW: Do you use modded pads on your MS1s? What are you listening prefs? I thought my SR60s sounded better with the stock pads, I instantly regretted 1/4 modding mine - this time I'm picking up some HD414 pads...

Edit: recently tried the mod where you remove the little bit of foam that is stuffed in the hold in middle of the back of the driver - not the large white felty thing that sits in the housing but the but that is literally stuffed in the driver.

Anyone else tried this?

To my ears it isn't too drastic but it seems to mellow out the sound a bit and maybe tones down the bass a tad. Maybe brings the mids forward a tiny bit. The treble feels a tad more relaxed.

EDIT: Wow, this thread really died out. Anyway, I did a brief comparison of the M50 v MS1i here - but in a nutshell I don't think you'll be disappointed with the MS1 - M50 switch, but be prepared for a quite different sound. Bass is bigger and goes deeper but is a tad less detailed, mids are a bit recessed, spacious and impressively detailed, treble extends a bit more and shines nicely, but I wouldn't call the M50s treble 'smooth' - its quite uniquely energetic... AT treble just has this tonal quality thats hard to explain. Its actually almost a tad Gradoey, funnily enough...

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #25 of 27
I just got my ATH-M50's last week. I love them so far. These are the first highend phones I got. It is really getting me into the Headphone world. I am going to do a small "review" and post it hear. Might help some noobs like me make a decision.
Over all they seem very durable and the sound is really good. I guess the biggest thing they did for me was give me an idea of what I am looking for and the difference in experience between headphones and free standing speakers.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #26 of 27
Does anyone now how these compare to the Denon AH-D1001k and the SHURE SRH 750DJ?

They seem like they could be a pretty good alternative.

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #27 of 27
But overall, I do like the M50. I just don't think one can compare it favorably to such audiophile level headphones as HD650 or even other good closed headphones that are in the $150-$300 range. I think Shure SRH840 for example, sounds noticeably better than M50 in just about every way. German Maestro GMP 8.35 D is also quite a bit better overall. I also prefer Beyerdynamic DT770 to M50. I think Ultrasone PRO750 sounds much better too. So in the end, I think M50 is just good for the price, but is no giant killer. There are other good options for the price too, like Shure SRH440 and M-Audio Q40, both of which surpass M50 in some aspects.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, although I haven't heard the GMP 8.35 so I can't comment on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back