NJB3 purchase???
Mar 14, 2003 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
my bday is coming up soon, i have a rio 250 mp3 cdp, i like it a lot, but i hate having to carry my cds with me, i use cdrws in UDF packet write and they get scracthed sooo easily.. and so on... but anyway, i am seriously considering a nomad jukebox 3 20gig from circuit city ($300) or ebay $(??).. i was going to get an ipod, but its too expensive, and i have heard that the njb3 is better sounding, as well as the ipod not having a lineout?? i have about 12gigs of music at altpreset standard LAME + EAC and some WMA. the ipod doesnt work with wma, and some cds i recorded a while ago with wma i lost or scratched (im REALLY bad with cds...) so i cant re record them in mp3 for the ipod which would really annoy me. i have a few questions, will i really have to worry about dropping the player or jarring it??? has anyone had any problems? (my 250 has taken a drop before, onto carpet). the njb3 is like the same size as my 250 so im not too worried about size (i carry lots in my pockets). can i replace the HD if i run out of space (just a laptop one right?). how is the equalizer?? (for anemic phones). i use the eq on 250 a lot, add a few db to the sub 50hz freq when im walking around to counter the cord noise. this is important to me, to have GOOD equalization, not sonymegabass crap. i use my EX70s and my senn 280pros with this, and sometimes my koss 50s. welll what do you think? should i just get the ipod? should i stop wasting my money?? should i wait for something better to come out?? thanks

chris

Mar 14, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 18
for one thing the NJB3 is too big, won't fit in your pocket. the Nomad OS is for more tech-savvy people. the on-fly-playlist playlist feature is integral; some people love that. the NJB has replaceable batteries unlike most DAPs. It can also record/encode MP3's which could be handy for recording DJ sets, concerts, etc. It has firewire as opposed to more popular USB2.0 on PC's. One cool thing is that Firewire nomads can send songs to each other directly, no PC required. Hard drives are easily upgradable.

If you gonna buy one don't go the Circuit City way, you can get them online for $188 after coupon and rebate at Amazon. I had a thread in this forum about that if you look for it.

Mar 14, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
what are your gripes about it>>> whtats not perfect??

To me, the biggest shortcoming is the software (Creative Playcenter), it's buggy. I was told 3rd party software Nomad Explorer may be better, but I haven't tried.

Also, shuffle play for some reason isn't very random. Firmware bug I suppose.

Mar 14, 2003 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 18
I love my Nomad Jukebox 3. The sound quality of the player is spot on - outstanding. It's now my primary listening source and I can't recommend it highly enough.

There are people who have had problems with their players - most revolving around upgrading the firmware but to be honest I really haven't had any problems with my player at all.

The Firewire interface is excellent and makes putting tracks on the player very fast.

I got the player with the carry case and I also have both the wireless and wired remote control.

For me the main reason for getting the Nomad was sound quality. I tried many different HD-based MP3 players and the Nomad walked on all of them. Admittedly I didn't try the Ipod out but where I live Apple simply don't exist in a retail sense.

Mar 15, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 18
ok cool. are you sure it doesnt fit in a pocket??? the dimensions on Nomads site say its about the same size as my rio 250, and i carry that and a few extra cds, batteries, and my ex70s in my front pocket...

188$!!!
sweeet. are you sure those rebate things work right. i have heard they take forever and you have to use them on more nomad stuff... ???

thanks

chris

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 18
Chris, sure you can fit it in your front pocket.........If you were a pregnant woman wearing a moo-moo !
biggrin.gif

I used to own one (returned it) and the only comfortable way to really "wear it" was to buy the $20 case that has a belt clip on it. It's actually a really nice case with holes for the main LCD and all the other things that need to be accessed. The clip is very strong and clips nicely, but the Nomad tends to flop a bit cause of it's weight. It really is cumbersome, though that's not why I returned it...that part was no biggie to me because when it actually worked, it sounded freegin great. \

And yes, you have to use the coupons for useless creative junk...which doesn't include an extra battery. (Or at least didn't)

Hey, a bit off topic but...how long have you had your HD 280's for ? I really liked them when I got to audition...what amp and source are you using with them ? Very curious to know.

Take care,

Sweet Spot

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 18
i bet i can fit it in my pocket...
wink.gif
... ive had my 280s for about a year, i like them a lot except for the looks part. they are bit ugly and cumbersome.. i like the sound a lot tho.

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot

And yes, you have to use the coupons for useless creative junk...

The Amazon rebate, which expires 3/15, states on the form: "Rebate paid in US currency in the form of a check".

Mar 15, 2003 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Well, I participated in the rebate late last year. About one month after I submitted the form I got an email from Creative telling me my rebate was approved and I had an option to use the rebate as credit right away to buy their stuff online. The email said if I didn't buy by certain date then a check'd be mailed to me. It turns out they sent out the check 3 more months later. I just got my check a few days ago. So if you prefer a check, be prepared to wait approx. 4 months.

Mar 16, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 18
dang.. i wont be able to buy one for about 2-3 weeks from now... well i guess ill still buy it from Amazon. 250 still isnt bad tho. cant wait
smily_headphones1.gif
. i wonder if anyone would want to buy my rio 250.. i have updated iRiver firmware on it... and i still have the original packaging and everything... maybe ill put up an interest check, otherwise to ebay it goes.

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
Well, I participated in the rebate late last year. About one month after I submitted the form I got an email from Creative telling me my rebate was approved and I had an option to use the rebate as credit right away to buy their stuff online. The email said if I didn't buy by certain date then a check'd be mailed to me. It turns out they sent out the check 3 more months later. I just got my check a few days ago. So if you prefer a check, be prepared to wait approx. 4 months.

I bought mine right after Christmas and mailed in the rebate check at the same time. I guess I'll have to wait another 1-2 months for the check. I was wondering what happened to it. . . .

Mar 17, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 18
i think im going to wait on the NJB3 or any HD player... the limited reliability and size are an issue for me... and my truck is having problems right now... i think ill buy Slindeman's iRiver 350 slimx for now.. its smaller and nicer than my 250... my brother has a 350 and i really like it. after my bday comes i think ill see how much money i have and then decide. so its stil possible that i will get one. thanks for all the help tho, i would have probably bought some ghetto hd player by now without you guys.

chris

Mar 17, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 18
Ok, big thing on the size issue of the NJB3... here's my take on the issue

The NJB3 isn't a giant or anything, it's just large relative to what's out there right now. It fits in my pocket just fine, it's just that it looks like my wang has magically transformed into a mini-frisbee and has shifted over to my left leg. But then again, I wear decently fitted pants.

Being a high school student, i'm guessing you were quite relaxed clothing, so I'm guessing it'd be much easier to carry around an NJB3. It's a bit more of a hassle than most people would carry, but it's a great player and perfect if you want to record lectures while napping during class..... just hook up a small microphone, put it on your desk or just on your backpack, hit record and start napping (something them tiny players simply can't do).

Edit: after reading how i phrased that last paragraph, i realized how old i am (i'm referring to baggy pants as "relaxed clothing".... BWAHAHAHHAAHA). Anyways, go to an electronics store and grab the NJB3 and see if it'll fit in your pocket. CompUSA has one on display attached to a leash. I walked in, grabbed it and put it in my pocket..... (got some funny looks, but how else can i test it?) Make sure you give a nod to an associate there to make sure he knows you're there playing w/the toys, or else the security guys will get really jumpy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back