NJ Summer Meet Impressions July 24th
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #46 of 57
This was my first meet and found it to be both interesting and awkward at the same time.  I definitely enjoyed listening to everything from Grado phones to HD800 to T1 to Stax.  I definitely see that this is not a young man's hobby.  I was probably one of the youngest there, at 19.  A bit weird meeting a few of you in real life.  Still new to this hobby!

I will say that I did enjoy the T1 and the SR-007.  Those phones really blew me away.  I A/B'ed the HD800 and T1 on the Woo Audio amps with the Amadeus CD player and I really found the bass to be lacking.  The T1 had the right mix of bass, mids, and highs for my tastes.  Doug's WES and stax setup really kicked me in the face.  It was really amazing the fidelity of these high end cans.

Now......where to scrounge up a couple thousand dollars....?

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #47 of 57
Looks like you all had a great time. Surprising amount of DIY gear. Very cool! It would be nice if  the DIY stuff was labeled and credited though. Who built the cool looking tube amp with the "magic eye" tubes and what does it do?

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #49 of 57
Yes, that's my amp.  It's a 6T9 Compactron run SEUL with EAM86 eye tubes.

6T9SEUL / 3 Inputs / 1/4" Headphone jack / Speaker Outputs (The switch next to the headphone jack is a Speaker ON/OFF switch) / Dual Volume Controls (L/R) / Display Control
The display can be set to 2W into 8ohms or made more sensitive when listen to headphones at lower volume.  The eye tubes are there just for fun.  I actually built that one for my sons' dorm about 2-3 years ago.

I sold SN 001 about two weeks ago and there should be a review posted soon.  The "Final" version has 3/8" aluminum front and rear panels, single input (with loop out), balanced headphone and speaker outputs, and standard 1/4" headphone output.

BTW
I did get to try an HE-5 at this meet and they were a fantastic match.  Best I've heard on this amp.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #51 of 57
I can't believe I missed this thread when it got moved over.

All the pictures are incredibly, it just goes to show everything I missed by coming late.  Next meet, I'm just going to suck it up and go through it with or without sleep.

There were some beautiful rigs that I didn't get to test out, but it just wets my appetite for the NYC meet later in the year.

Now I know what to expect from them.  Hopefully I'll have my car by then and have built or be in the middle of building some things.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #52 of 57
Why don't you just build a car, too? 
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #53 of 57

Quote:
...  I just saw this thread today and was expecting this to be somewhere in central or south jersey.   Figures its 10 minutes from my house.  Next year.

Central or South Jersey?  No way!  You better be there next year!

If you're in Essex or Morris county PM me ... we have little micro meets all the time.  Yea, and we go out to eat a lot too.  Zen is our informal dinner HQ (we have cleared out the entire Sushi bar, driving away patrons with animated talk about 12AU7's), and Irving's Deli is our lunch destination.

Open to all BTW.  Just PM me your real name and email (those are the only qualifications for joining our merry crew).

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #54 of 57

Quote:
Why don't you just build a car, too? 
smile.gif

Hahaha, I wish!  If only I had that kind of space to work on a car.  The last time I bought a part was when a friend was restoring a Shelby Mustang GT350 and we were looking for the intake manifold around different junk yards.

I'll stick with buying my cars at the moment 
biggrin.gif

I'm studying up from scratch (finishing up the Art of Electronics atm) so I can understand what Kerry is telling me when I get around to harassing him for advice 
wink_face.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #55 of 57
I can't believe I missed this thread when it got moved over.

All the pictures are incredibly, it just goes to show everything I missed by coming late.  Next meet, I'm just going to suck it up and go through it with or without sleep.

There were some beautiful rigs that I didn't get to test out, but it just wets my appetite for the NYC meet later in the year.

Now I know what to expect from them.  Hopefully I'll have my car by then and have built or be in the middle of building some things.

I woke up at 5AM for this meet. For me that's early. :frowning2:

Hahaha, I wish!  If only I had that kind of space to work on a car.  The last time I bought a part was when a friend was restoring a Shelby Mustang GT350 and we were looking for the intake manifold around different junk yards.

I'll stick with buying my cars at the moment 
biggrin.gif

I'm studying up from scratch (finishing up the Art of Electronics atm) so I can understand what Kerry is telling me when I get around to harassing him for advice 
wink_face.gif

Funny, I'm reading the Art as well.

Also, after this meet I've decided to get some Stats. Probably SR-404s or ESP-950s.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #56 of 57
after this meet, or after this year's 2011 meet?  :p

Quote:
I woke up at 5AM for this meet. For me that's early.
frown.gif

Funny, I'm reading the Art as well.

Also, after this meet I've decided to get some Stats. Probably SR-404s or ESP-950s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back