Nixie-Fi
Jun 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tsujigiri

1000+ Head-Fier
I wonder if there are any Nixie tube enthusiasts here... It would stand to reason that at least a few people would be drawn to Nixie clocks, given the popularity of tube amps here. This is a project I've just semi-finished for a Nixie clock. I used the QTC kit from PV Electronics and installed IN-8-2 tubes. The base is milled from a solid block of aluminum and the bottom is covered with a plexiglass plate (with air slots around the alarm and holes for the cords). I got the GPS receiver add-on that synchronizes the clock; it's the little chip in back of the clock with the suction cup mount. The finish isn't as nice as I'd like it to be, though, so I think I'll sand it and sandblast it when I get the chance...

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 4
God, I'd love to throw some money into something like this. Just reminds me so much of the Parallel Universe read out from Steins;Gate.

How much did it cost you in total(cash and time) to get the hardware, excluding the case, set up?

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 4
These are incredibly cool. I purposely forgot about them but saw this again. Last thing i was tempted with was a vintage Owl sculpture with these in the eyes. Thanks for the reminder again. Can't stop looking at them.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
God, I'd love to throw some money into something like this. Just reminds me so much of the Parallel Universe read out from Steins;Gate.

How much did it cost you in total(cash and time) to get the hardware, excluding the case, set up?

Haha just two tubes short of a divergence meter. By the look of it, though, the tubes on the divergence meter were IN-18's, which cost about $50 each when you can find them.

Total cost for the project was about $500, and it took over 50 hours of work. Most of the work was in machining the case, though, and most of the cost was the tubes (I got a couple sets of spares). The clock kit itself was about $150 including the GPS module, which is optional. A set of 6 IN-8-2 tubes runs about $70. The kit is pretty easy to put together if you know how to solder, and they provide a step by step guide. The switches that come with the kit are different, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back