NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #271 of 465
Just got mine this morning with the ESS Card. Very interesting amp, never really heard anything like it. Just my impressions off the internal DAC but It almost sounds like you have a DSP-like effect or slight reverb applied lightly to the sound. Vocals come across very ethereal, like they’re singing right in my ear. Separation is very, very good. Note decay is very quick, very nice for pop and EDM. It’s definitely the most ”tube-like” solid state I’ve heard save for my old 70s McIntosh 2505. Everything other amp I’ve heard claiming tube-like qualities but a pale imitation. This is its best selling point IMO is a true tubey sound without the hassle and heat of bulbs. I imagine the ASR guys would have a meltdown poking and prodding it lol.

I will say it’s one weakness is it can get a bit fatiguing, it’s very dynamic and sharp but I’d attribute it to the Sigma dac, I’ve never heard one that isn’t. Will have to try it later with an external R2R.
They'd probably just say something stupid like "it sounds different because its broken". That or they would just claim it sounds the same as their topping amp. It amazes me how they can listen to so many different amps and dacs, yet never notice a difference.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #272 of 465
I’ve mentioned I did liked my Grado better on my Pietus compared to Piety. It’s mostly due to the gain as the Pietus allows more room to turn the knob. As for synergy goes, the headroom or soundstage is a bit too enclosed to my liking although the way it represents music is very mature.

Curious how does your Corda Classic fare with the Pietus. I’m a fan of Meier‘s crossfeed and the dac I’m using is the Daccord.
I don't own a Pietus. I have a Piety. I'd say that the Classic and Piety both have a laid back sound that initially doesn't impress much. However, the longer you listen to them the more they draw you into the music. I also like the Meier Audio crossfeed circuit.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #273 of 465
Has anyone been able to compare the Pietus to the Schiit Mjolnir 3?
Nothing crazy in depth, but the one thing that stood out to me is more treble on the Pietus and slightly less bass. Now whether that treble difference translates to more detail or just more treble I can't say for sure, I had limited time comparing before I got a cold and as such my ears are a bit wonky for the past two weeks.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #274 of 465
I don't find the amp fatiguing at all. Even with ess card, listened with BF2 for a couple weeks first. Even with a headphone like focal elex I can listen for hours.

I would say Jot 2 is more fatiguing for sure. Had asgard 3 for a long time as well and sold it. Good amp for $200 when it launched but its not very dynamic and rather soft sounding in comparison. Great thing about PM is you can leave it on barely gets warm, smooths out a bit as well after being on. I don't have any hum or vibrations on mine either thankfully.
I definitely agree about the Asgard 3 having a softer sound, but to me that's part of its charm. It's a very smooth sounding
HEADPHONE amplifier that also has that fatigue free factor. I have a Jotunheim I and while I like it I actually prefer the sound
of the Asgard 3.

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #275 of 465
I definitely agree about the Asgard 3 having a softer sound, but to me that's part of its charm. It's a very smooth sounding
HEADPHONE amplifier that also has that fatigue free factor. I have a Jotunheim I and while I like it I actually prefer the sound
of the Asgard 3.
Depends on headphones probably. I actually liked asgard 3 with lcd2 more than 6xx. Some headphones need a more lively amp.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #276 of 465
I don't own a Pietus. I have a Piety. I'd say that the Classic and Piety both have a laid back sound that initially
However, the longer you listen to them the more they draw you into the music. I also like the Meier Audio crossfeed circuit.
ooh my daccord was from Australia,too, I remember the owner was selling a stack

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #277 of 465
Probably the same seller.
Sounds like the same guy. I think his first name was Dominick. He had a silver Classic and a black Daccord.
I almost bought the Daccord too but decided to hold off. 😊

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #278 of 465
Maybe give it a few days. I thought so too, especially running this with a 2/64 (where I was warned it could be etchy in the highs), but it seems to have settled more and smoothed out. It was no longer fatiguing to me after a day or so of running the amp.

Did finally get around to trying the Dave on it. It was a Great Leap Forward compared to using the internal DAC (for obvious reasons), but the tonality is way improved. The fatigue went away & I can say without a doubt this is probably the most detailed amp I own in being able to carve out detail like butter and not sacrifice some of the magic of the Dave’s plankton like so many others do while taking away some of its coldness. I have the Mjolnir 3 coming in a few weeks so I’ll be eager to compare the two.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #279 of 465
Did finally get around to trying the Dave on it. It was a Great Leap Forward compared to using the internal DAC (for obvious reasons), but the tonality is way improved. The fatigue went away & I can say without a doubt this is probably the most detailed amp I own in being able to carve out detail like butter and not sacrifice some of the magic of the Dave’s plankton like so many others do while taking away some of its coldness. I have the Mjolnir 3 coming in a few weeks so I’ll be eager to compare the two.
Yeah I mean I get the praise for the internal cards and AIO convenience but people should still fundamentally run the best DACs they can. This amp scales well. And as you said, it carves out details like butter and serves it up to you on a silver platter.

Many would be interested in Mj3 comparison. In my mind, I always imagined the MJ3 more of a very super duper elevated Jot2.

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #280 of 465
Yeah I mean I get the praise for the internal cards and AIO convenience but people should still fundamentally run the best DACs they can. This amp scales well. And as you said, it carves out details like butter and serves it up to you on a silver platter.

Many would be interested in Mj3 comparison. In my mind, I always imagined the MJ3 more of a very super duper elevated Jot2.
Actually PM is technically the super Jot 2, MJ3 is like a baby TYR

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #281 of 465
Actually PM is technically the super Jot 2, MJ3 is like a baby TYR
See, I don't fundamentally agree with that (at least from a sound perspective/presentation) with the Jot 2 (which I sold for the PM) I believe to have more punch and slam. PM is more laid back to me, it loses some (but definitely not lacking) of that punch and slam and instead has the macro/micro details elevated and completely effortless. Jot 2 was still detailed but it gets overshadowed by the punch and slam energy it has - in that you have to listen for it. With PM, it is served up to you in spades.

But this is just how I would have compared the Jot 2 to the PM. The Jot 2 to me is the gifted athlete -its got power and grace. PM is like the more sophisticated intellectual sibling where its playing chess not checkers.

MJ3 to the TYR though is interesting. I didn't realize they are closer in specs.

Just my take though, YMMV as always!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #282 of 465
See, I don't fundamentally agree with that (at least from a sound perspective/presentation) with the Jot 2 (which I sold for the PM) I believe to have more punch and slam. PM is more laid back to me, it loses some (but definitely not lacking) of that punch and slam and instead has the macro/micro details elevated and completely effortless. Jot 2 was still detailed but it gets overshadowed by the punch and slam energy it has - in that you have to listen for it. With PM, it is served up to you in spades.

But this is just how I would have compared the Jot 2 to the PM. The Jot 2 to me is the gifted athlete -its got power and grace. PM is like the more sophisticated intellectual sibling where its playing chess not checkers.

MJ3 to the TYR though is interesting. I didn't realize they are closer in specs.

Just my take though, YMMV as always!
I don't disagree with your thoughts on PM and I have not heard MJ3 yet. Both piety and Pietus are an evolution of continuity/circuit in Jotunheim 2 while MJ3 topology is trickle down from TYR/chokes and stuff. That's all I meant.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #283 of 465
I'm enjoying reading all the post about the Pietus! I currently have a Schiit Midgard.
My dilemma is reading subjective comments such as one from a review where it was stated that that the Pietus is 85% as good as Mjolnir 3!
I would love a Mjolnir 3, but at $499 US for the Pietus seems like a deal relatively speaking. And the form factor of Pietus fits better for me in the short term.

As of this writing, Midgard sounds pretty darn good. Not perfect, but very very good using my RME ADI-2 dac FS as "DAC". A bit more "melting chocolate" in the midrange would be sweet; I think the synonym is "wet" in Head-Fi speak.

I can't seem to get any traction to seek out anyone who has done a direct comparison between Midgard & Pietus, to see if it's really worth it as my next move or would it be a small incremental improvement.

Conclusion: am I the only one going up from the bottom, progressing up the chain to Pietus and not quite ready for Mjolnir 3?

I do enjoy reading the discussions while I listen to music via my headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #284 of 465
See below from Super Best Audio Friends.

1704764815729.png

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #285 of 465
I can tell you as an owner of Midgard myself that any amps that you directly A/B with it will sound colored. However, that's only referring to the tonality of the amps. Refinement and engagement to music are a different matter altogether

Users who are viewing this thread

Back