NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #76 of 462
Does anyone know if the BF 2/64 with the Pietus = too much glare? Is the synergy just not there for this pair vs the MMB/ESS pairings?

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #77 of 462
Does anyone know if the BF 2/64 with the Pietus = too much glare? Is the synergy just not there for this pair vs the MMB/ESS pairings?

Refined and glare don’t go together. If Pietus Maximus is refined or mature sounding, don’t expect any glare out of it

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #78 of 462
I'll be very interested in hearing your comparisons between the two
I’ll see what i can do. I’m terrible at describing audio things 😓

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #79 of 462
I’ll see what i can do. I’m terrible at describing audio things 😓
You'll do fine. Just be sure to spend a week or so comparing critically and also very importantly, listening casually. Things will start to stand out and become more noticeable. Be sure to indicate what source and headphones you are using and go from there on what aspects of each really do it for you and contrast what you can. I've found Pietus to be source sensitive, which is a good thing so definitely dabble if you've got some options in your stable.

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #80 of 462
So, long story short you won’t need an uber-buck DAC to get great sound of the Pietus. A neutral/dark one is a great match. Just get yourself one of the in-built DAC cards from either Nitsch or Schiit and call it a day with an all-in-one solution or get yourself a used MMB1/Modius E for pretty cheap. They are all over and reliable.
Sorry I think each day I'm trying to resist buying Pietus due to budget reason. But I'm still trying to research "just in case".:joy: (in case of emergency)

Initially I was considering getting external dac, but now I'm warming up to the idea of just getting the dac cards. Plus it's much easier to get the Multibit card than hunting down a MMB1 I think.

Could you explain the difference between the ESS card vs the Multibit card by any chance? In terms of sound signature, resolution.....etc. Also vocal forwardness if you could.

You mentioned it pair better with a neutral/dark dac. Is it because Pietus emphasize treble glare? Or are you sensitive to treble normally?

For example I like Grado sound, so I'm really tolerant to treble. Would it still be advised to pick a darker dac?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #81 of 462
Sorry I think each day I'm trying to resist buying Pietus due to budget reason. But I'm still trying to research "just in case" I need to buy one.:joy: (in case of emergency)

Initially I was considering getting external dac, but now I'm warming up to the idea of just getting the dac cards. Plus it's much easier to get the Multibit card than hunting down a MMB1 I think.

Could you explain the difference between the ESS card vs the Multibit card by any chance? In terms of sound signature, resolution.....etc. Also vocal forwardness if you could.

You mentioned it pair better with a neutral/dark dac. Is it because Pietus emphasize treble glare? Or are you sensitive to treble normally?

For example I like Grado sound, so I'm really tolerant to treble. Would it still be advised to pick a darker dac?

Thanks!
Another thing you might consider is that it won’t be terribly long before a few used ones start showing up for sale because unfortunately wanting to try it doesn’t always mean wanting to keep it. Also a second run might pop up based on the success of the first. Don’t despair.

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #82 of 462
Another thing you might consider is that it won’t be terribly long before a few used ones start showing up for sale because unfortunately wanting to try it doesn’t always mean wanting to keep it. Also a second run might pop up based on the success of the first. Don’t despair.
That's true, maybe I still had nightmare about the Piety run where we're running out of parts so it's a limited run, and that sold out in half a day. So I always feel compelled to catch this run while it's available. :sweat_smile:

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #83 of 462
That's true, maybe I still had nightmare about the Piety run where we're running out of parts so it's a limited run, and that sold out in half a day. So I always feel compelled to catch this run while it's available. :sweat_smile:
I was really upset that I missed the first Piety run just because I wasn’t paying attention. Funny enough, by the time they were available again, I wasn’t as interested anymore. Jumped on PMax right away though. We’re not always rational creatures. And that’s okay.

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #84 of 462
Sorry I think each day I'm trying to resist buying Pietus due to budget reason. But I'm still trying to research "just in case".:joy: (in case of emergency)

Thanks!
Always have to stay within budget, for this one I moved some gear to make room for Pietus as I wanted to support NITSCH so they can keep building more sweet amps.

I can't compare these cards - I can only compare the Modius E and Modi Multibit 1 v1.1 (stock OPA2156). Both sound great. Vocal forwardness goes to MMB, resolution goes to Modius E. I think the Modius E is a safe bet because it's obtainable right now and because it has Unison. I'm having to use a DDC to get good USB quality out of the MMB1. On the used market Modius E is $200 compared to the $100 for the add-in card it offers a lot more value, compatibility and complexity of design.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #85 of 462
Nice review! I appreciate the raw approach and you hit some key points in regards to the strengths of this amp. Thanks for sharing. I am curious you mentioned heat output though, did you use it stacked on top of a DAC like BF2? I've had it just on its own and it has always been lukewarm at most.
Thanks so much! It was sitting on my desk with nothing else below or above it. It's not burning hot, but definitely warmer than other (albeit lower performing amps that are known more for efficiency). Cambridge, THX 887, Hifiman, JDS Atom, Topping, and Ifi were all cooler to the touch. Burson amps have been hotter. I haven't tried my Diablo 2 yet though.

Dec 9, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #86 of 462
Has anyone heard this AMP with any ZMF headphones yet? Particularly Aeolus or Verite Open?
Atrium Closed and Caldera are the only two I have. With that being said, this is the best they have ever sounded before going straight to the DSHA-3FN which is a massive feat considering the price gap. I like my Caldera more on the Pietus Maximus than I did on the Burson Conductor 3X GT.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #87 of 462
Thanks so much! It was sitting on my desk with nothing else below or above it. It's not burning hot, but definitely warmer than other (albeit lower performing amps that are known more for efficiency). Cambridge, THX 887, Hifiman, JDS Atom, Topping, and Ifi were all cooler to the touch. Burson amps have been hotter. I haven't tried my Diablo 2 yet though.
Oh okay, so I'd wager a more relative comparison as I'm definitely used to some warmer amps. The THX/Atom stuff runs like it isn't using any power at all. Thank you for the response.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #88 of 462
Oh okay, so I'd wager a more relative comparison as I'm definitely used to some warmer amps. The THX/Atom stuff runs like it isn't using any power at all. Thank you for the response.
No problem. Apologies for the confusion!

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #89 of 462
No problem. Apologies for the confusion!
Oh no need to apologize at all I was actually pointing out I'm used to some amps that run too hot. Maybe we need to get you into an Mjolnir 3 :D

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #90 of 462
Is this amp too veiled and lush sounding with a tube amp? I have quite perfect synergy with Topping DX7 Pro (BA V6 Classic op-amps) > L30 II > Muzishare X7.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back